Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    fouc911 is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb Moving from France - need location to accommodate commute to PHL and Lenni, PA

Hi all!
    Any help would be great! Found these questions on another forum, so thought I'd try here, too.
    My main question is to define the neighborhoods where I could rent. I will commute to work everyday by car and need easy parking and best location in terms of time spent on the road. We also need easy public transportation access to PHL airport.

-----------------------

When are you moving?
    March 2013

Where are you coming from?
    I am coming from France but lived in Chicago for three years. For those who know Chicago I was living in Lincoln Park, I would have considered Bucktown and Wicker park.

Why are you moving?
    I will be working near Lenni, PA. My GF work for an airline and will be commuting from PHL airport.

Where will you be working?
    I will be working near Lenni.
    She will have to commute through PHL airport

Have you been here yet?
    Just downtown near Rittenhouse square and suburban station.

Will you buy or rent?
    Looking to rent

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? All are OK.
    Looking between $1,000 and $1,500 right now, maybe a little more if necessary, especially with garage spot.

Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?
    Probably not a high-rise.

Are you married or single?
    No child

Do you have pets?
    No

Do you want or need a yard?
    Would be nice to have a private deck for BBQ

Are you keeping a car?
    We both have cars. I will commute to Lenni, she will have to take the train to the airport.

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
    I think we would like a city environment with bars, gyms, food stores walking distance or a short drive away.

What do you want to be closest to?
    City life.
    Near a SEPTA line (R1) is key for us, as that's how my GF intends to get to work.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
    We're young, so no retirement-like area, but other than that, we're fine with whatever.

Thanks for your kind help!!!

OldMama is offline Senior Member

I'm not terribly familiar with that part of the area. You are near Media which is a really nice community and relatively convenient to both your jobs. Bonne chance et bienvenue!

BarryG is offline Senior Member

How big of a place do you want? I'm thinking maybe Old City could be a good fit, on the upper end of your spectrum you could probably find a 1BR in one of the loft buildings with a parking spot and some shared outdoor space. Maybe a little over $1500 with the parking spot. GF would take a short subway ride connect to the train to the airport (walkable too), easy to hop on I-95 for your commute. You could find a small place in Rittenhouse or Washington Square area too but doubtful you would get reserved parking or an outdoor space at that price. You would pay extra for a garage or do permit street parking and be in walking distance of one of the train stations for the airport. All are city locations in walking distance to many restaurants, bars, shops, transit.

Why do you need the second car if your gf plans on taking the train to work? If you live in the city will barely ever use it and you can always sign up for ZipCar or PhillyCarShare if you think you may need it a couple times a month or in case of emergency. If you end up outside the city your gf will probably drive to the airport, the train would be a hassle as it would require a transfer.
    Last edited by BarryG; 12-24-2012 at 10:47 AM.

fouc911 is offline Junior Member

Thanks!

AsYouWere is offline Banned

Appears Septa is looking to extend rail thru Lenni again to Wawa on the Media Line if they can secure the needed $80 million.

New Wawa SEPTA station is on hold for now - delcotimes.com

five apples is offline Deacon Blues

Quote Originally Posted by fouc911 View Post
    Hi all!
    Any help would be great! Found these questions on another forum, so thought I'd try here, too.
    My main question is to define the neighborhoods where I could rent. I will commute to work everyday by car and need easy parking and best location in terms of time spent on the road. We also need easy public transportation access to PHL airport.

-----------------------

When are you moving?
    March 2013

Where are you coming from?
    I am coming from France but lived in Chicago for three years. For those who know Chicago I was living in Lincoln Park, I would have considered Bucktown and Wicker park.

Why are you moving?
    I will be working near Lenni, PA. My GF work for an airline and will be commuting from PHL airport.

Where will you be working?
    I will be working near Lenni.
    She will have to commute through PHL airport

Have you been here yet?
    Just downtown near Rittenhouse square and suburban station.

Will you buy or rent?
    Looking to rent

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? All are OK.
    Looking between $1,000 and $1,500 right now, maybe a little more if necessary, especially with garage spot.

Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?
    Probably not a high-rise.

Are you married or single?
    No child

Do you have pets?
    No

Do you want or need a yard?
    Would be nice to have a private deck for BBQ

Are you keeping a car?
    We both have cars. I will commute to Lenni, she will have to take the train to the airport.

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
    I think we would like a city environment with bars, gyms, food stores walking distance or a short drive away.

What do you want to be closest to?
    City life.
    Near a SEPTA line (R1) is key for us, as that's how my GF intends to get to work.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
    We're young, so no retirement-like area, but other than that, we're fine with whatever.

Thanks for your kind help!!!
    If you do end up living in Philly itself, know that a commute to Lenni would be long. You might want to look at one of the closer suburban towns to Philly.
    "No one wanted to be mayor of Philadelphia. It was a thankless job, which for the first 56 years offered an annual salary of zero. In 1745, two men turned down the position and instead accepted large fines. In 1747, Anthony Morris fled to Bucks County to hide and thus avoid notification of his election. After Morris’s disappearance, a new election was held, and William Atwood was re-elected."

Quote Originally Posted by five apples View Post
    If you do end up living in Philly itself, know that a commute to Lenni would be long. You might want to look at one of the closer suburban towns to Philly.
    I was thinking the same about the Lenni commute unless you leave a car at the Media station, which is humongous, and take the train. That would solve the two car parking problem in the city too.

eldondre is offline Moderator

spring garden neighborhood
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

Quote Originally Posted by eldondre View Post
    spring garden neighborhood
    Doesn't the airport line terminate in CC? His lady works for an airline and may avoid taking the subway alone at night.

OldMama is offline Senior Member

My concern for this family is the two car situation. That would be an issue in both Old City and Spring Garden. Maybe they are unwilling to give up a car; in that case they'd be better off in a suburb with access to both work locations.

Quote Originally Posted by OldMama View Post
    My concern for this family is the two car situation. That would be an issue in both Old City and Spring Garden. Maybe they are unwilling to give up a car; in that case they'd be better off in a suburb with access to both work locations.
    That's why leaving one of them at the Media station or even on the street there was recommended. Just pay the monthly fee and that spot is yours if at the station.

billy ross is online now Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AsYouWere View Post
    Doesn't the airport line terminate in CC? His lady works for an airline and may avoid taking the subway alone at night.
    The airport line goes through Germantown and generally terminates in the burbs. Warminster, I think. It's the only R line that is called by only one of its termini.

Quote Originally Posted by billy ross View Post
    The airport line goes through Germantown and generally terminates in the burbs. Warminster, I think. It's the only R line that is called by only one of its termini.
    Many of the runs end at Temple. The others turn into any one of the Reading side lines, it varies throughout the day though some only go as far as Glenside. Only the ones that become CH East hit Germantown proper unless you consider Wayne Junction in Germantown... is it?

Does it go through SG without a link?

Edit - for some reason I was thinking of SG as west of Broad only. If there's a station nearby the OP can pick her up.

Quote Originally Posted by AsYouWere View Post
    Does it go through SG without a link?
    No you would switch to the bus or subway, or just walk.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryG View Post
    No you would switch to the bus or subway, or just walk.
    To solve the two car and Lenni commute (brutal) issues the idea of leaving a car at Media Station is very reasonable at $1- per weekday, plus that's a fairly safe area. I get to the Tague Lumber next to it and it's wide open and huge and probably well patrolled.

SEPTA | Parking

billy ross is online now Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BarryG View Post
    Many of the runs end at Temple. The others turn into any one of the Reading side lines, it varies throughout the day though some only go as far as Glenside. Only the ones that become CH East hit Germantown proper unless you consider Wayne Junction in Germantown... is it?
    Wayne Junction is in Germantown, at the border. Wayne Avenue. Chestnut Hilll East Line stop. Both should have given you a clue that we're talking about G-town.

Very few Airport Line trains don't stop at WJ. None I've tried to take yet , for instance. They run something like twice an hour for 18 hours per day. It's one of the least publicized gems in the SEPTA system - WJ is close to my home, and offers both metro-style service to Center City and great access to the suburbs.

3rd&Brown is offline Senior Member

These are all horrible suggestions. Lenni is in (Northern) Aston Township. It's not that far from Philadelphia, certainly an easier commute than to say, King of Prussia or even Conshohocken, I'd argue. You'll take 95 South to 476 N to Rt 1 South or 95 South to 452 N directly into Lenni.

Shouldn't take more than 30-40 minutes. I'd recommend living either in Graduate Hospital for easy access to 76 toward the airport (your girlfriend can take the airport line to University City and then walk home from there over the South Street Bridge) and you can head southbound on 76 to 95 or in Queen Village. Something south of Center City with easy access to 76 E or 95 S.

Absolutely do not live anywhere that would require you to take 76 W (Germantown, etc). There are far easier places from which to commence your commute.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
    These are all horrible suggestions. Lenni is in (Northern) Aston Township. It's not that far from Philadelphia, certainly an easier commute than to say, King of Prussia or even Conshohocken, I'd argue. You'll take 95 South to 476 N to Rt 1 South or 95 South to 452 N directly into Lenni.

Shouldn't take more than 30-40 minutes. I'd recommend living either in Graduate Hospital for easy access to 76 toward the airport (your girlfriend can take the airport line to University City and then walk home from there over the South Street Bridge) and you can head southbound on 76 to 95 or in Queen Village. Something south of Center City with easy access to 76 E or 95 S.
    This idea is worse than Ross's and involves the girlfriend walking home at night from UC to S Philly, not to mention parking for the second car in the city somehow. Then there's all that gas and driving to Lenni which might take 40 minutes which is on a perfect day, or it could take 3 hours.

Leave the extra car at the Elwyn station for $22- a month which is only a 2 mile drive to Lenni.

tsarstruck is offline Senior Member

Although I'm not sure this'll get a lot of love, but the Route 37 bus to the airport is worth considering, which would open up East Passyunk (Crossing). Broad & Snyder to the airport in ~25 minutes. An ex-neighbor, who is a flight attendant, used it. It also has the benefit of operating 24 hours, unlike the Airport Line. Parking will still be a problem, but there are relatively cheap garage options, and you'll certainly get more bang for your buck than in Old City, especially once you throw in parking. And in a better, more fun neighborhood in my biased opinion (I'd say it's a fare comp for Bucktown). It would involve driving to Lenni, and you'll be doing a reverse commute from 95 South to 476N, which generally won't be terrible.

I also think leaving the car in Elwyn is an attractive idea for living in Old City, Wash West, or West Philly near the University City station (although you'd have to deal with the mass of students there). I'm not convinced that you'll be able to find anything decent in the $1,500 range in either Old City or Wash West with parking, _especially_ not with two cars. Having two cars in the city is, especially on your budget, silly if you can avoid it.