Register
+ Reply to Thread
    dogoagogo is offline Senior Member

Default Unassisted but inexpensive Senior Housing?

Not sure which forum to post this in, so I chose this one.

I may be in a position where I need to find housing for a family member who would be relocating from the west coast. She is a senior, and does not have any assets, basically. She works, is self employed with an admin services business.

I would love to get info on any senior type housing for independent folks, apartment/condo style, that is in a safer neighborhood, and not surrounded by the dregs of society. In or just outside the city itself would be OK. She has a car, and is VERY independent. She's coming from California, and is not used to city living, East Coast style. I doubt she'd want to live in Center City or the more urban areas, as she is used to a little more nature in her day to day life.

Any ideas on where to look, specific places, anything else? This is not an immediate need, but I'm starting the research now in anticipation of a move within the next 6-12 months.

Thanks!

Cya
    Cya is offline Don't get me started

Check out Gloria Dei. I referred a relative of a friend here and she couldn't be happier. They offer assisted and independent living.
    Gloria Dei: Active Senior Communities
    It's in a nice area on Rhawn St. in the NE.
    And they have other facilities further into the suburbs. I'm most familiar with Rhawn St., though. Good luck!
    To the Firefighters union and DC33-
    "Show me the man you honor, and I will know what kind of man you are."
    - Thomas Carlyle

To Mayor Nutter:
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    — Winston S. Churchill

ShoshTrvls is offline Senior Member

My mother -- who also relocated here from California, car in tow -- lives in an apartment in the Gayborhood. Not senior living, but perfect for an active senior -- close to all doctors, restaurants, and cultural institutions. It has worked very well for her.

On another thread, we've also talked about Watermark. I'd like my mother to move there, and the parents of another PSer live there. There are independent living apartments, assisted living facilities, and nursing care floors -- so as circumstances change, so can the living arrangements without huge disruption. They seem to offer many activities, shuttle buses, group trips, etc. Definitely worth looking into.

dogoagogo is offline Senior Member

Thank you both - I will look into these. My mother (also, probably with her Prius in tow) will be here in the fall, and I'd like to casually show her places, lay the ground work. I don't think she's up for center city living, but the 'hood would be a good place for her if she opted to do it. I think South Philly would be a little too much culture shock coming from Long Beach!

BeckyJ is offline Professor Ornery

My folks are the ones Shosh was referring to. They live in the Watermark (came here from SF). My dad is an urban type so he loves it. The Watermark has apartments (and unlike a lot of continuing care places it is rental as opposed to a buy in) all the way to full nursing care. It also has an Alzheimer's unit. You can get what assistance you need on an "a la carte" basis as well. They have a parking garage as well as shuttle buses that run through CC on a regular basis and make runs to Trader Joe's, banks, and even out to KoP mall. PM me if you want more detailed info.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are. -- B. Banzai

ShoshTrvls is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dogoagogo View Post
    Thank you both - I will look into these. My mother (also, probably with her Prius in tow) will be here in the fall, and I'd like to casually show her places, lay the ground work. I don't think she's up for center city living, but the 'hood would be a good place for her if she opted to do it. I think South Philly would be a little too much culture shock coming from Long Beach!
    You may be surprised. My San Fernando Valley mother fell unloved with Center City living.

OldMama is offline Senior Member

Not sure what your preferred neighborhood is.

There are two senior complexes n Roxborough that are very nice: Pensdale I and Pensdale II. I believe Pensdale I has income limits but Pensdale II does not. They are both apartment buildings- not assisted living. I know people living in both and they like it very much. Very safe neighborhood and a parking lot. Unfortunately, there is probably a waiting list for both but I have no idea what the turn around time is.

iheartphilly is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShoshTrvls View Post
    My mother -- who also relocated here from California, car in tow -- lives in an apartment in the Gayborhood. Not senior living, but perfect for an active senior -- close to all doctors, restaurants, and cultural institutions. It has worked very well for her.

On another thread, we've also talked about Watermark. I'd like my mother to move there, and the parents of another PSer live there. There are independent living apartments, assisted living facilities, and nursing care floors -- so as circumstances change, so can the living arrangements without huge disruption. They seem to offer many activities, shuttle buses, group trips, etc. Definitely worth looking into.
    I agree, the Watermark seems awesome with its appearance, amenities & care, plus a terrific location. I spoke with the director, who took the time to call my mother, located in Boston, however, the cost was $3000/month for a one bedroom & she had to decline. She's since found a less expensive assisisted condo near her. I would have loved having her in Philly at the Watermark, but the cost was prohibitive. Nothing bad about the place, it's just the rates!
    Last edited by iheartphilly; 11-19-2012 at 04:39 PM.

OldMama is offline Senior Member

Just curious - what does the rent include? Does it include some meals? My Inlaws lived in a continuum of care facility for military officers in northern Virginia and, even in the independent living apartment, the monthly fee included 2 meals daily in the dining room. Great food, too.

The continuum of care model is great because you can stay in the same facility forever. My father in law moved to assisted living shortly after my mother in law died and, shortly after that, he had to move to the nursing unit due to advancing Parkinson's. We didn't have to keep relocating him which was wonderful.

insolito is offline Senior Member

Try checking with PCA, I bet they have a list of senior housing

Philadelphia Corporation For Aging: Housing Options: Senior Citizens

PhillyHaunts is offline Junior Member

Try Delaware County,there are none in the city of Philly.Off 95 South