Hello, I currently living in South Carolina and planning to move to Philadelphia and would some info on the following neighborhoods I came across while looking for a place to live there. Things I would like to know is if the areas are SAFE, CLEAN, AFFORDABLE, and are they decent places to raise children, ETC. Being that I am a single mother of 3 young children, my family's SAFETY IS what matters the most.
1. Point Breeze
2. Northeast Philly (Lower Mayfair)
4. East Falls
Also, if you all know of any neighborhoods that you could recommend that would be great!
Thanks in advance
1. Point Breeze -- Not very nice. Parts of it are seeing an affluent influx since it's immediately south of a nice ara but, overall, I wouldn't recommend living there.
2. Northeast Philly (Lower Mayfair) -- Mayfair is generally a pretty nice, clean place. However, it's also seem some decline recently.
3. Frankford -- The part of Frankform that's East of the Market-Frankford line is terrible. The area West of the MFL is much nicer, but crime has slowly been rising there.
4. East Falls -- Very nice neighborhood. Also probably the least urban of all of these places.
5. Juniata -- Used to be a lot like Mayfair, but has become heavily Hispanic and Asian. Generally a nice area, but the median income has been trending downward and, along with that, crime has trended upward.
6. Overbrook -- Has some very nice areas on the Western side, near City Ave. Also has some very run down areas farther East. Really depends where in Overbrook you're looking at.
If you can provide more detail about what you're looking for somebody can likely provide better advice (rent or own? What's your budget? Do you want to be near public transit? Have you already found a job here? If so, is it center city, suburbs or an outlying neighborhood?)
It might also be helpful i we knew what you are looking for in terms of your children. Do you need good public schools? Day cares? Organized sports?
Although I am leaving this neighborhood myself (house too big), I recommend that you add Roxborough to your list. It's safe, has good access to public transportation, several good schools, parks and playgrounds, supermarkets, and lots of organized sports groups.
@OldMama Someone recommended that Northeast Philly would be best for me because it was more affordable. I am looking for good public schools (elementary) for my children and also Preschools/Child Development Centers, etc. I will definitely look into Roxborough.
Bahaar, please send me a private message if you want more information or have any questions about Roxborough.
The catchment schools for Point Breeze would not be ones that I would recommend.
It would seem best to explore the other areas on your list
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO