Register
+ Reply to Thread
    St Albans is offline Junior Member

Default Scooter stolen Wednesday night 9-27-12

Green Yamaha Vino 50cc scooter stolen on the 700 block of St. Albans St. It seems every trash night, some degenerate ends up stealing something. This is the second time we've had something stolen during a trash night and I'll be damned if it's going to happen again. Next time I see one of those trucks pull down the street I am going to pull someone out of them. This is ridiculous. Anyway, scooter was chained, windows were open. Obviously a multiperson job. Reward if recovered.

EdMundo is offline Member-ish

Quote Originally Posted by St Albans View Post
    ... Next time I see one of those trucks pull down the street I am going to pull someone out of them. This is ridiculous. Anyway, scooter was chained, windows were open. Obviously a multiperson job. Reward if recovered.
    Are you talking about City sanitation trucks? Do you think this is being done by them?

2happy4u is offline Banned

IMO trash pickers been stealing bikes & scooters for scrap. It happened a few times on my block only on trash night.

Oh, yeah, trashpickers would explain a lot. I thought the OP was talking about the City sanitation folks.

Giavella Water is offline Senior Member

Green Yamaha Vino 50cc scooter stolen on the 700 block of St. Albans St. It seems every trash night, some degenerate ends up stealing something. This is the second time we've had something stolen during a trash night and I'll be damned if it's going to happen again. Next time I see one of those trucks pull down the street I am going to pull someone out of them. This is ridiculous. Anyway, scooter was chained, windows were open. Obviously a multiperson job. Reward if recovered.
    How did they get past the chain? Was it too thin?

theREALalesis is offline Banned

It's your own fault. Philadelphia Municipal Code requires you to have the motorbike parked against the front wall of the residential building at a particular address. Ever think the PPA took it for non-compliance to the law?

O.H. Lee is offline Senior Member

Unless it was a piece of junk, I doubt trashpickers took it.

The theft of scooters has been on the rise lately.

They have become popular with the high price of gas and therefore popular with opportunistic thieves.
    "We do sincerely hope you all enjoy the show, and please remember people, that no matter who you are and what you do to live, thrive and survive, there are still some things that make us all the same. You, me, them, everybody, everybody!"

Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by theREALalesis View Post
    It's your own fault. Philadelphia Municipal Code requires you to have the motorbike parked against the front wall of the residential building at a particular address. Ever think the PPA took it for non-compliance to the law?
    No; ridiculous. They're desirable items thanks to the price of gas.
    I am not the Jackass Whisperer.

qweezyq is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hospitalitygirl View Post
    No; ridiculous. They're desirable items thanks to the price of gas.
    desirable more out of urban convenience than gas prices. if we were talking a motorcycle, gas may be the reason for its popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by theREALalesis View Post
    I seemed to miss where the OP said his bike was parked 4 blocks away in the middle of the sidewalk in front of a grocery store.

theREALalesis is offline Banned

Default How did you miss that post?

Quote Originally Posted by nonlinearedits View Post
    I seemed to miss where the OP said his bike was parked 4 blocks away in the middle of the sidewalk in front of a grocery store.

It was right after the post addressed to you that read "Go f c k yourself"

Quote Originally Posted by nonlinearedits View Post
    Don't feed the troll, please.

Pitt is offline Senior Member

Set up a craigslist alert for terms that describe your scooter for Philly and surrounding areas like Jersey NY DC and Delaware. People have retreived stolen property this way.

rks
    rks is offline Senior Member

a friend had her scooter stolen in south philly a couple of weeks ago and it was actually recovered in Woodbury, NJ last week...someone was riding it at night without lights on and crashed...she got it back - a bit banged up but at least its back. Good luck!

Anconiusbalboni is offline Junior Member

Someone on our block had their scooter stolen 9/18 btwn 8p and 8a. He was admittedly lax and did not have it chained to the house. He found the mirror on the ground just down the block suspecting that it was carried a short distance away before being put on a truck/van etc. Theives suck.

qvmike79 is offline Junior Member

Default Philly Police: Wanted - Suspects for Multiple Scooter Thefts (w/ video)

From the Philly Police website today. Although the surveillance video posted today is from a recent theft in Old City, these guys could easily be responsible for the thefts in QV and other surrounding neighborhoods, as well:

Wanted: Suspects for Multiple Scooter Thefts in South and Central Divisions [VIDEO] | Philly Police Blog

TonyDanza is offline Senior Member

Story on philly.com seems to agree: Thieves target scooters in Central and South Philly

queenbee is offline Senior Member

there's been a rash of scooter and bike thefts in this hood. Blame the viking.

Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by queenbee View Post
    there's been a rash of scooter and bike thefts in this hood. Blame the viking.
    Sorry but not for this one. Philadelphia police report rash of scooter and motorcycle thefts

...Since July 1, 53 vehicles - 39 scooters and 14 motorcycles - have been swiped from sidewalks in Old City, Bella Vista, Queen Village, and other areas. Thirteen have been recovered, 10 in Camden.

Scooter thieves use bolt cutters to snip chains and typically load the vehicles into work vans, passenger vans, or box trucks.

Most of the thefts have been committed between 12:01 and 5 a.m., and police have captured video of thieves in two incidents: in the 400 block of Fairmount Avenue and the 100 block of Church Street.

Each video shows two men, one about 40, wearing a "long bandanna," police said. In one video, they are driving a white van; in the other, a white box truck. Both vehicles had New Jersey plates.

"If it's not the same crew, it's a group of crews that were doing it. It's a bunch of guys doing the same thing," Philadelphia police spokesman Lt. Ray Evers said.

Victims say the thieves are quick to pick up scooters and leave without a trace. A waitress at a Center City restaurant who left her scooter outside work with its steering column locked said it was taken after midnight. She said she "went inside and came out minutes later and it was gone."

Brendon Baker of Center City said his unlocked scooter was taken from outside his apartment building in June. He gave up hope of finding it about a month later and bought a new one.

In summer 2011, Evers said, police dealt with a string of similar scooter thefts, although not as extensive as this year's wave.

He said scooters are lightweight, fairly easy to transport, and a quick sell on the street as a cheap mode of transportation in cash-strapped times.

"There's value on the street for them," Evers said.

Tipsters can watch the surveillance videos at the Philadelphia police YouTube channel or visit phillypolice.com/news. Anyone with information on the thefts can call the department's tip line at 215-686-8477 or text 773847. Tipsters can also call the Major Crime Unit's auto squad at 215-685-9133.

Yeah...New Jerseyans, please stay there.
    I am not the Jackass Whisperer.