Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    BeardScraper is offline persona non grata

Quote Originally Posted by ndebergerac View Post
    Big re-opening party is scheduled for 3 weeks time, can't wait!!
    why so much hate for this bar? dont act like its the only "**** show" on south st.

SouthStMan is offline Junior Mint
    Newly transplanted from South Street into Pennsport

oh - it's not. But it's by far the one that has caused the most disruption overall. And, if last night was any example - it seems like the fun will keep coming.

visit me online @ http://DJRobertDrake.com

bluecuracao is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SouthStMan View Post
    Good.

And for those affected, when you call the LCB, also call 911 so the complaint is officially filed in the police records - and follow it up with a direct call to the South Street Mini-Station: (215) 922-6706

The more, the merrier.
    I have had good results filling out this form:

HIDE - Liquor Control Enforcement

Maybe Blarney's will decide it's not worth it and kick 'em out.

NoNotReally is offline Member

Wow.. i agree why so many haters? It's Obviously people who have seldom or maybe even NEVER been there. Makos had been open for 25 years. The lease expired and the owner of Makos bought a another bar where he could own and not pay $13,800. per month in rent. Pretty Simple!!!! People should get their facts straight. Makos was the busiest and most profitable bar on South Street. The staff members who wanted to stay on South Street moved over to the Blarney South. No one bitches about Dobbs and their music blaring down third street, or the riots outside Lorenzos' pizza on a weekly basis.. Stop Blaming MAKOS for all the problems on South Street. Just A Bunch of un-imformed haters. Cya at Dobbs Hip Hop night Tonight...Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by bluecuracao View Post

You sound like a former employee ... What did the bartenders do to you? Still haven"t gotten your facts straight!!!

SouthStMan is offline Junior Mint
    Newly transplanted from South Street into Pennsport

Quote Originally Posted by NoNotReally View Post
    Wow.. i agree why so many haters? It's Obviously people who have seldom or maybe even NEVER been there. Makos had been open for 25 years. The lease expired and the owner of Makos bought a another bar where he could own and not pay $13,800. per month in rent. Pretty Simple!!!! People should get their facts straight. Makos was the busiest and most profitable bar on South Street. The staff members who wanted to stay on South Street moved over to the Blarney South. No one bitches about Dobbs and their music blaring down third street, or the riots outside Lorenzos' pizza on a weekly basis.. Stop Blaming MAKOS for all the problems on South Street. Just A Bunch of un-imformed haters. Cya at Dobbs Hip Hop night Tonight...Hahaha

awaiting LIN's reply

visit me online @ http://DJRobertDrake.com

loveisnoise is offline Senior Member

I'll just use your name as a response.

NO, Not Really.

I'm a bit more familiar with the place than you are. Kenny offered to sell the place to me for such an insanely low price, that I thought he was kidding. He wanted out because he was sick of the **** show his own place had become. In return, he ended up selling it to a stripper, who trusted the current owner but was then pushed out.

Drugs were constantly sold in the place, strippers were illegally dancing on the 3rd floor, when police wish to do graffiti round ups all they do is raid the 2nd floor, I've personally witnessed bikers cut a guy's finger off on the first floor-would you like me to continue? I don't even have to bring these stories up, since any bar that allows Norm's smelly drug selling ass hang out is already suspect enough.

The staff members that wanted to stay do so due to their ability to get their underage friends drinks, and the drug component. Any time underage kids come around drunk, or can't get into another bar? The first words out of their mouth is "**** this, let's just go back to mako's".

Mako's is far from the most profitable bar on south street, and that observation can be quickly noticed by pulling the lcb numbers.

Get your facts straight, poopy pants. You're starting you sound like Norm with terms like "un-imformed haters". That's what happens when you hang out in the mud with pigs.

ndebergerac is offline Senior Member

Wow.. i agree why so many haters? It's Obviously people who have seldom or maybe even NEVER been there.
    Been going regularly (1-3 times a week) since I moved to the city in '07. It was a dive then, but I like a dive. It's been gradually sliding since then from dive to foul ****hole. I think it was the day a homeless bum sitting next to me at the bar crapped himself, but still wasn't removed from the bar, or maybe the day a regular poured a beer over a girls head and also wasn't removed, or maybe the fear of catching something really nasty from entering the bathro.....er toilet, maybe it's just all the violations, or maybe it's the fact every other time I went in there was another dip**** bartender 'cause the last one got canned or quit, I dunno, I guess I'm just an uniformed hater.

I stopped going a couple of months back, the draw of dollar beers for a couple of hours wasn't enough anymore. Now that they're not a corner bar they are gonna have to make more effort to keep the sidewalk clear, having to slalom past all the smelly bums blocking my way last night wasn't my idea of a nice stroll home. Even my buddy that has been going there since it was more scary than ****ty called it quits. Meh, what problems though eh? Keep your head in the sand if you like.
    Last edited by ndebergerac; 10-18-2011 at 04:25 PM.

MTEMPLE is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by loveisnoise View Post
    I'll just use your name as a response.

NO, Not Really.

I'm a bit more familiar with the place than you are. Kenny offered to sell the place to me for such an insanely low price, that I thought he was kidding. He wanted out because he was sick of the **** show his own place had become. In return, he ended up selling it to a stripper, who trusted the current owner but was then pushed out.

Drugs were constantly sold in the place, strippers were illegally dancing on the 3rd floor, when police wish to do graffiti round ups all they do is raid the 2nd floor, I've personally witnessed bikers cut a guy's finger off on the first floor-would you like me to continue? I don't even have to bring these stories up, since any bar that allows Norm's smelly drug selling ass hang out is already suspect enough.

The staff members that wanted to stay do so due to their ability to get their underage friends drinks, and the drug component. Any time underage kids come around drunk, or can't get into another bar? The first words out of their mouth is "**** this, let's just go back to mako's".

Mako's is far from the most profitable bar on south street, and that observation can be quickly noticed by pulling the lcb numbers.

Get your facts straight, poopy pants. You're starting you sound like Norm with terms like "un-imformed haters". That's what happens when you hang out in the mud with pigs.
    I concur.

Not even close to the same place from when Kenny and Jay owned it, Michelle and Naomi behind the bar and one of the best juke boxes upstairs.

Also if you're looking for the ex-stripper Holly you can find her in just about everyone of Philadelphia photographer Tony Ward's exotica books.

http://www.tonyward.com/293.html
    Last edited by MTEMPLE; 10-18-2011 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MTEMPLE View Post
    I concur.

Not even close to the same place from when Kenny and Jay owned it, Michelle and Naomi behind the bar and one of the best juke boxes upstairs.
    Back then the place was actually fun. Now, it is just a place to watch a damn sideshow; or more like, a sideshow that got off work and then decided to congregate in one spot to get completely plastered and drugged.

InspectorGadget is offline Junior Member

That is a very helpful link indeed, thank you for posting.

Just like i said, GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT, kenny sold the bar over 8 years ago, the place had poles for customer to goof off, but NEVER had paid strippers on third floor. If you had been there you would have known! Never a single drug arrest in last 10 years, Never a graffiti round up, Police never called for someone getting finger cut by Bikers, Your so called former stripper (Holley) never pushed out..sold the bar at a profit... LCB does not keep track of a bars profitability...LMAO... as for your friend norm whom you know so much about, well enough said. Now CITATIONS 1 underage drinking citation, 2 VIP citations, the rest (7) were because the juke box was too loud with outside doors open... WOW such a Problem Bar !!! Makos has met regularly with local civic organizations and just got their blessing for expansion !!!!! STOP guessing about whats going on. btw Makos is being reopened under new management contract very shortly .. so Mr. Know more than me... Just thought you should know. Makos wasn't perfect, but it sure was fun and busy 7 night a week. The falsehoods need to stop...Just ain't cool.. EVERYTHING AINT FOR EVERYBODY!

bluecuracao is offline Senior Member

You sound like a former employee ... What did the bartenders do to you? Still haven"t gotten your facts straight!!!
    I do? LOL

If I'd ever decided to work in a bar, it wouldn't be at someplace as gross as Mako's. You're right that I seldom went there; the last time, I made the mistake of going into that horrible, horrible bathroom. BLEGH.

Wow. You're obviously attached to this place some way, but still remain completely ignorant.

No **** Kenny sold the bar about 8 years ago. I'd know if it was offered to me.

Pushed out? No-but since since shady **** was already going on, she saw next to no money on her investment-then all of a sudden the place started making money? Yeah, whatever.

Cops weren't called so the fingers being cut off didn't happen? HAHAHAHA! When the head of a major bike gang is in the bar, it really doesn't help self preservation to call the cops. It isn't quite a secret that the place is the only bar that these people hang out in on south street.

Yes-there was a grafitti roundup-which I knew about since I was on the local PDAC committee and we got a detailed report of it.

Pole for 'customers'? Ummm, yeah-girls would say, 'let's go down to mako's, I have to make some money'. They'd go down, "goof off", as you put it, then come back with $40 to drink.

Makos regularly meets with civic associations? Since at least 3 people in this discussions are on those so called 'associations'(more like government entity), you're the one who seems to be lacking facts.

Every liquor company in america would disagree with your assessment about what the LCB tracks. They have instant equations that pull the LCB numbers and see what they do in volume, and can immediately assess which bars are the most profitable. Now, if you're telling me that Mako's is bringing in illegal booze to thwart PLCB taxes and auditing-well, I wouldn't be surprised. Keep talking, you're just digging a deeper hole.
    Just like i said, GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT, kenny sold the bar over 8 years ago, the place had poles for customer to goof off, but NEVER had paid strippers on third floor. If you had been there you would have known! Never a single drug arrest in last 10 years, Never a graffiti round up, Police never called for someone getting finger cut by Bikers, Your so called former stripper (Holley) never pushed out..sold the bar at a profit... LCB does not keep track of a bars profitability...LMAO... as for your friend norm whom you know so much about, well enough said. Now CITATIONS 1 underage drinking citation, 2 VIP citations, the rest (7) were because the juke box was too loud with outside doors open... WOW such a Problem Bar !!! Makos has met regularly with local civic organizations and just got their blessing for expansion !!!!! STOP guessing about whats going on. btw Makos is being reopened under new management contract very shortly .. so Mr. Know more than me... Just thought you should know. Makos wasn't perfect, but it sure was fun and busy 7 night a week. The falsehoods need to stop...Just ain't cool.. EVERYTHING AINT FOR EVERYBODY!
    Last edited by loveisnoise; 10-18-2011 at 05:06 PM.

Nice try.... but Makos expanded to the third floor and installed three brand new bathrooms a few years ago

Once again WRONG... the State keeps track of liquor purchases from state stores, but does not track beer purchases.. Just the facts

Nice try.... but Makos expanded to the third floor and installed three brand new bathrooms a few years ago
    HAHAHAHA! That didn't need any true approvals, and were pushed through without much input from anyone.

As for liquor vs. beer? 'Just the facts'? You obviously don't know numbers very well. Answer me this funnyboy. How many cases of beer are required just to break even on 69 cent cans?

And, if it was 'so profitable', then they wouldn't care about $13.5k per month.

ndebergerac is offline Senior Member

the place had poles for customer to goof off, but NEVER had paid strippers on third floor.
    You're kidding, right? Money never ...err.....changed hands on the 3rd floor? Jesus, you're naive.

As for it being busy 7 nights a week, you're having a laugh, even some of the bartenders got so bored they got smashed on the job, part of the reason the turn over was so high. The place was packed with bums who tip a penny when it was 49c beers all day, but once it went to $1 happy hour specials, it was only sometimes full during those hours, 10pm the place empties. You seem a bit delusional, a real fan boy.

I am truly amazed that they can't admit the simplest of things about the place.
    Quote Originally Posted by ndebergerac View Post
    You're kidding, right? Money never ...err.....changed hands on the 3rd floor? Jesus, you're naive.

As for it being busy 7 nights a week, you're having a laugh, even some of the bartenders got so bored they got smashed on the job, part of the reason the turn over was so high. The place was packed with bums who tip a penny when it was 49c beers all day, but once it went to $1 happy hour specials, it was only sometimes full during those hours, 10pm the place empties. You seem a bit delusional, a real fan boy.

MTEMPLE is offline Senior Member

Must be the same person who wrote this sign.
    "Haters don't like that we're selling 49cent beers" and "We'll be back open on Thursday haters!"

As for the infamous 3rd floor. I happen to know a certain little Latina bartender that worked there until it was shut down by L&I. Some of the photos I've seen were actually really raunchy so NoNotReally you're not fooling anyone.