+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mixiboi is offline Philly Remixed

Default SEPTA vs the Snow(or ice)

Here the new SEPTA way of dealing with this storm:

SEPTA (SEPTA) on Twitter

BUS: Routes 35 and 115 are suspended.
    less than 10 seconds ago from API

RRD: Doylestown-Lansdale (R5) train #1547 traveling from Doylestown to Center City is cancelled.
    10 minutes ago from API

TRL: Route 34 service has resumed normal operations.
    about 1 hour ago from API

TRL: Route 34 service is operating with delays due to an accident blocking the tracks.
    about 1 hour ago from API

NHSL: Service has been altered to operate every 20 minutes to and from the Norristown Transportation Center.
    about 2 hours ago from API

RRD: Due to weather conditions, all lines are operating with delays of up to 35 to 45minutes. Passengers should use caution on platforms and

BUS: Route 35 service has been canceled due to weather conditions.
    about 4 hours ago from API

MFL: Delays up to 20 minutes on all routes all directions due to weather emergency
    about 6 hours ago from API

BSL:

TRL: Delays up to 20 minutes on all routes all directions due to weather emergency

NHSL: Delays up to 20 minutes on all routes all directions due to weather emergency

BUS: Delays up to 20 minutes on all routes all directions due to weather emergency

RRD: Delays up to 20 minutes on all routes all directions due to weather emergency
    about 7 hours ago from API

MetalDeth81 is offline Senior Member

New? They've been operating on delays and cancellations during the SLIGHTEST hint of bad weather for as long as I can remember.

I know its only a fraction of the size, but how does PATCO manage to keep their trains "on or close to schedule"?

BenDee is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MetalDeth81 View Post
    New? They've been operating on delays and cancellations during the SLIGHTEST hint of bad weather for as long as I can remember.

I know its only a fraction of the size, but how does PATCO manage to keep their trains "on or close to schedule"?
    As you said, it's a fraction of the size of Septa. Also, a large part of the line is underground, it is 100% dedicated ROW, all the switches are preset, trains run every 15 minutes so it would be harder for people to really tell there are delays unless they have a backup, and all the trains operate in the same line.

It's also a more modern line.

eldondre is online now Moderator

Patco doesn't run on narrow city streets. Bsl is running fine
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

Debbie1125 is offline Senior Member

The 35 is always one of the first to be suspended because its main route is through Manayunk.

MarketStEl is offline Will Work for Food, But Prefers Cash
    East Germantown rocks! But watch your back.

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
    The 35 is always one of the first to be suspended because its main route is through Manayunk.
    That's only half the reason.

Route 35 is the Roxborough-Manayunk Loop bus.

Which means it has to climb the Wall once each run.

That's why it's always THE first route to be suspended when there's a serious snow or ice storm.
    Sandy Smith, Wanderer in Germantown, Philadelphia
    Editor-in-Chief, Philadelphia Real Estate Blog - but all opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone.
    ""Jazz and blogging are both intimate, improvisational, and individual -- but also inherently collective. And the audience talks over both." --Andrew Sullivan, "Why I Blog," The Atlantic, November 2008

Quote Originally Posted by MetalDeth81 View Post

What's new is that word gets out to the riders the instant there's a service disruption, delay or change.

And you thought Twitter was frivolous.
    Editor-in-Chief, Philadelphia Real Estate Blog - but all opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone.
    ""Jazz and blogging are both intimate, improvisational, and individual -- but also inherently collective. And the audience talks over both." --Andrew Sullivan, "Why I Blog," The Atlantic, November 2008

mixiboi is offline Philly Remixed

Yup, it really change the game, as SEPTA can do this now:

TRL: Route 15 service is suspended as of 9:30 PM.

BUS: Rtes 2, 6, 7, 18, 20, 23, 27, 28, 31, 33, 35, 37, 39, 46, 47, 53, 54, 57, 67, 75, 77, 89, G, HXH, K, L, R suspended as of 9:30 PM.

Before you'd have to call a number and wade through a bunch of menus..

jokerswild is offline Member

There are 3 Rt 57 buses stuck and parked on 4th street between George and Poplar right now. The road is a mess and really isnt driveable. Of course no plows.

BenDee is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mixiboi View Post
    Yup, it really change the game, as SEPTA can do this now:

BUS: Rtes 2, 6, 7, 18, 20, 23, 27, 28, 31, 33, 35, 37, 39, 46, 47, 53, 54, 57, 67, 75, 77, 89, G, HXH, K, L, R suspended as of 9:30 PM.

Before you'd have to call a number and wade through a bunch of menus..
    The H was an obvious choice. I was at Bacio tonight, and apparently there were three H buses at the same time stuck on the hill on Mt. Pleasant trying to go down. We then got to watch one that made it get stuck right in front of the restaurant for over five minutes. It was a freakin' mess out there.

It's interesting how many NW routes were canceled(I think that includes just about every route in MA/CH). Is there a reason for that? Hills? Horrible plowing?

Quote Originally Posted by BenDee View Post
    It's interesting how many NW routes were canceled(I think that includes just about every route in MA/CH). Is there a reason for that? Hills? Horrible plowing?
    Precisely.

Most of the big cities in the Mid-Atlantic region sit on the "fall line" -- the zone where the coastal plain gives way to the Appalachian uplands.

In Philadelphia, that line runs roughly NE-SW through the city, and Northwest Philadelphia is on the upland side of it. (East Falls, which gets its name from the falls on the Schuylkill that the Fairmount Dam turned to rapids, is right on the fall line.) Note how much hillier the Northwest is than any other part of the city (and compare it to the relatively gentle rise in elevation from Center City north up Broad Street, which is basically one long, low hill from Vine north to Cheltenham).

Combine hills with snow falling so thick and fast the plows can't keep up with it, and you get this.

FTR, this is the second heaviest snowfall on record in Philadelphia, topped only by a 33-inch snowfall in 1993. Were this Syracuse or Chicago, we'd have no good excuse not to keep up with plowing; but we've gotten unused to this sort of thing lately.

billpa is offline R5 Harrisburg

I read on another forum that DC suspended all their buses and metro lines above ground yesterday.

ArcticSplash is offline Dixie Normus

The 66 is going but the frequency is unpredictable. It's also switched from trackless to diesel for the time being. Probably due to the conditions underneath the train trestle near Pennypack Park.

Winston is offline Junior Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by mixiboi View Post
    Any of you transit mavens know if the 15 is running today? Google maps is showing departure times — how accurate is that? I couldn't find anything definitive on Septa's site or Twitter feed.

bjbear71 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by billpa View Post
    I read on another forum that DC suspended all their buses and metro lines above ground yesterday.
    You are correct, I have a friend in the DC area who told me so. At least SEPTA didn't do that. I can't see why all the hate is being poured on SEPTA with conditions so bad that they can't operate the way they normally would. Really, what are people expecting?! This isn't just snow flurries they had to deal with.

I'm personally very thankful that SEPTA not only got me home ON TIME during the height of the snowstorm early Saturday evening, but safely as well, via bus. I didn't see one car on the Interstates, only SEPTA buses and snowplows.

dmandy is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    Any of you transit mavens know if the 15 is running today? Google maps is showing departure times — how accurate is that? I couldn't find anything definitive on Septa's site or Twitter feed.
    SEPTA | Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority

Septa is posting on their site what is running. Right now it looks like the 15 is not running due to an accident.

Donna Marie

Trolley Lines: Route 15 are operating with bus service. Route 101 is operating to Woodland Ave.

Bus: Operating: C, K, 14 fm Fkfd to City Ln, 21, 26 fm Chelten to One Olney Plz, 27, 42, 52, 54, 58 fm Fkfd to Rennard, 60, 66, 93, 124, 125.

Norristown High Speed Line: Service on the Norristown High Speed Line is currently suspended until further notice.

Regional Rail: All lines are operating with 20 - 40+ min. delays

mikeg is offline Junior Member

The 57 was impaled against a row of parked cars on 3rd St. in Pennsport last night. It was there as we walked to American Ugly to have dinner and it was still there trying to get itself unstuck almost 2 hours later when we walked past again. I was surprised no tow truck was out to help the bus.

My house is along a highway (Route 13) which has now been reduced to only one plowed lane.

There is a lot of elderly living up here who are in no shape to dig out their houses. Hopefully CLIP can come by today and help clear out some of these blocks.

My alleyway has drifts as high as 4 feet.

guinsu is offline Senior Member

I noticed last night at 9:30 SS trolleys were running on the 15 in Fishtown, I guess they handle snow better? It was neat to watch it plowing through.

This whole thing does show where rail is way better for this city, the el was running even when everything else was shut down. I guess if this was more frequent there might be more support for expansions.