Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RittenhouseGirl is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dontforget View Post
    Southwest used to fly PHL-CMH 4x daily. However, it wasn't profitable going up against US, so SW ended it.
    Thank you so much for all the detailed info!

dontforget is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by RittenhouseGirl View Post
    I wish more than one airline would fly straight from Philadelphia to Columbus, Ohio. I make that trip at least four times a year for relatives. As of now, only US Airways does it. And they charge up to $450 round-trip for it. Otherwise, I hate flying into Dayton from Philadelphia because they use tiny, uncomfortable jets for the trip.

Amtrak from Cincinnati is a 16-hour ride to Philadelphia, and it picks up around 3:30 in the morning. Traveling can be a total pain.
    Frontier is adding routes from Trenton (TTN) including Columbus! All low fares likely targeting VFR-visiting friends and relative traffic.

I'm not sure how it will be profitable for them, but it's there. I'd like to take a flight from them from TTN.

Check http://www.flyfrontier.com/Home/spec...on-intro-fares

eldondre is offline Moderator

Can you get to airport from.west trenton line?
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

tsarstruck is offline Senior Member

I was wondering the same thing, eldondre. It's about a mile from the West Trenton station to the airport, and there appears to be sidewalks on Grand Ave and W Upper Ferry. Google times it at 1 hr 20 min from Market East, including the walk. I can't imagine there are cabs available at the train station, though Mercer's website claims that "taxi cabs generally stage outside the front of the terminal. If one is not available, local taxicab phone numbers can be found near the public telephones inside the terminal." If you wanted to avoid the walk, you could train into Trenton, take a cab from there ($12), but then take Trenton West home.

I can't imagine too many scenarios where flying from Trenton would make enough sense for city dwellers given that most of the destination cities are pretty well served from PHL, but not a bad idea to keep in the back of your mind.

BenDee is offline Senior Member

JetBlue profits on Boston-Phila. route

It's tough to make money at another airline's international-flight hub, but JetBlue Airways is doing just that on the popular Philadelphia-Boston route.

<snip>

Looking ahead, JetBlue is "very keen and interested" in flying from Philadelphia to San Juan, Puerto Rico, where JetBlue is the largest airline and has grown significantly.

"We look at that, over the next 12 to 18 months, as being very possible," he said.

Eventually, JetBlue may add flights to Florida, particularly Fort Lauderdale.

"The more support we see in Philadelphia," he said, "the more likely that we will move more quickly with additional flying."

that would be great, right now we're beholden to US air for san juan flights (which are pretty full in my experience) and as such we usually fly them everywhere to rack up points. for us that's the key flight
    Jonathan Safran Foer

mixiboi is offline Philly Remixed

JEtblue needs to move from Queens and move here..lol
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Consultant. Twitter: @Sdlaugh

thetalkingmule is offline Senior Member

PHL to SJU on JetBlue would be a game changer for all Caribbean travel out of Philadelphia. Every time I check flights to St Thomas it's like $700 out of PHL because US had the monopoly. Meanwhile it's $350 from NYC or on JetBlue from BOS.

The 1% have money to burn so hopefully there's more competition in these routes moving forward.
    "People who don't punch their ponies make me sick!"

what does the 1% have to do with the SJu route?
    Jonathan Safran Foer

billy ross is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dontforget View Post
    Southwest used to fly PHL-CMH 4x daily. However, it wasn't profitable going up against US, so SW ended it. Southwest still flies BWI-CMH likely at a lower typical roundtrip cost than US does for PHL-CMH. I recently drove to BWI for a low fare, and I chose the garage parking at $12/day. It's ok. There is a waiting area on Level 2 (it's still indoors...better than outdoor economy) but I still had to wait for a shuttle, and couldn't walk to the gate. On the return, the shuttle was packed but I got a seat on it. There are a few tolls on I-95, including a $6 one when traveling north up the Susquehanna River bridge.

In the Spring/summer season, Spirit flies ACY-DTW and offers sometimes really low fares (like less than $50 one way). DTW/Detroit is a 3 hour drive from Columbus. If you prefer a shorter drive than driving to BWI from the origin side, and would anyways rent a car there at the destination airport (say CMH, but instead DTW), it could be another option.

Delta also emails special deals to DTW (from PHL and ABE)-fly out Fri or Sat, return Monday or Tuesday, and United has similar email deals to CLE. CLE is a 2 hour drive to Columbus, OH.
    Once I flew one way to Austin. It was $30 apiece on Amtrak to BWI, and it was well worth it to do that transfer rather than connect. I forget whether a direct flight was available at the time, but it worked out well.

Quote Originally Posted by It'sJessMe View Post
    Nah, at that point it would be easier to just drive from Boston!
    How about Lebanon? I believe there are direct flights.

bridge is offline Member

I'd love to fly JetBlue but connecting in Boston just seems so...out of the way. On the other hand, if the price is right I'll do it.

Another decent airline that seems to be hanging on at PHL is Virgin America. Though it seems they've gone from 2x daily to SFO down to 1x (evening flight) which it makes it impossible to connect on their network, though they advertise the possibility.

BenDee is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bridge View Post
    Another decent airline that seems to be hanging on at PHL is Virgin America. Though it seems they've gone from 2x daily to SFO down to 1x (evening flight) which it makes it impossible to connect on their network, though they advertise the possibility.
    They also have LAX 2x daily, where most of the connections are going through.

bridge is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by BenDee View Post
    They also have LAX 2x daily, where most of the connections are going through.
    Glad they've kept their LAX flights at 2x daily (though appears to be 1x during the winter?), but SFO is still their bigger hub. Fewer options to connect through LAX. As a matter of fact, seems the only cities you can connect to through LAX are Seattle and San Jose, which don't make a lot of sense through LAX.