Register
+ Reply to Thread
    Beutelratte is offline Senior Member

Default What is "waiting time" in a taxi?

Hi all,

This is something I've wondered about for years, but never think of asking at the right time: What in the world is "waiting time"? I would have thought it was the time the driver spends _waiting_ for you if you call for a cab and aren't ready when it arrives, or the time the taxi spends _waiting_ for you if you ask the driver to stop mid-ride so you can go into a store, pick something up, etc. before continuing the journey.

I can't find a definition of it anywhere on the PPA website or on any American website. It can't be what I think it is, because I've seen the meter tick over while stopped at a traffic light. So when did it start becoming okay to charge extra every time a taxi stops at a stop sign or light? (And is that why some drivers seem to hit the brakes a lot - to boost the fare?)

Any links to documentation would be appreciated!
    B.

jester is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beutelratte View Post
    It can't be what I think it is, because I've seen the meter tick over while stopped at a traffic light. So when did it start becoming okay to charge extra every time a taxi stops at a stop sign or light? (And is that why some drivers seem to hit the brakes a lot - to boost the fare?)
    If you've seen the meter continue to tick while stopping, then I'd say it's what you think it is. A charge for the time that the cab is waiting in traffic.

Here's a site with Philly fares as of 7/1/12 on it: Philadelphia Taxi Fares. From said site:

Metered Rate:

First 1/10 mile (flag drop) or fraction thereof: $2.70
    Each additional 1/10 mile or fraction thereof: $0.23
    Each 37.6 seconds of wait time: $0.23

Also, here's an AP article from 2006 about NYC cabs: N.Y. City doubles cost of ‘wait time’ for taxis

From said article:
    The cost of standing still, like everything else in New York City, is going up.

The price of an average cab ride increased by $1 when the city Taxi and Limousine Commission voted unanimously Wednesday to double the amount charged on the meter when a taxi sits idly in traffic.

The vote doubled the cost of wait time from the current 20 cents per minute to 40 cents, which can quickly add up in Manhattan

Quote Originally Posted by Beutelratte View Post
    ...the time the taxi spends _waiting_ for you if you ask the driver to stop mid-ride so you can go into a store, pick something up, etc. before continuing the journey.
    I'd say it's this, too. If you've ever run in somewhere and asked the cabbie to "keep the meter running," then you're asking him to charge you for the convenience of having him wait for you to return. For that matter, I think they'd keep it running regardless. Hope this helps!