Register
+ Reply to Thread
    mahohmei is offline Junior Member

Default SEPTA - Transfer between City Hall (BSL) and Suburban Station

Since this is my first post, I feel obligated to throw in a mini-bio. I was born in Philadelphia on 09/28/1980, where I lived until 1990, when my dad took a job in NYC, moving us to Montclair, NJ. My parents and I currently live in Tallahassee, FL with my Tallahassee-born wife, but since my grandparents lived in Wildwood until 2005 and Wildwood continues to be the family reunion destination of choice, I-95 and flights into PHL have been at least a semi-annual experience. Sorely missing Philadelphia despite having moved out 22 years ago, I take whatever opportunities I can to take it in. A family reunion in Wildwood this summer is giving us just such an opportunity.

OK, time for my question: how easy/hard is it to transfer between Regional Rail at Suburban Station and the Broad Street Line at City Hall? The SEPTA system map at SEPTA | Clickable Regional Rail & Rail Transit Map shows that there's a transfer, but I've never been to this particular station. Short walk? Long walk? Is there sufficient signage that someone who has _never_ used the system before could figure out how to make the connection without getting lost?

Thanks!

bluecuracao is offline Senior Member

Signage is OK (up at ceiling level), but it's easy to get confused about what direction to go in. If you come up to the concourse from the RR platform and you're not sure, just ask someone to point you in the right direction.

I found this photo of the concourse map...why the map isn't on the SEPTA website, I don't know. Suburban Station is on the left side; see the diagonal pathway to the right of it? Follow that, and it will take you toward the BSL entrance (where the orange dot is next to the green dot).

dcss1205 is offline Banned

My recollection is that you need to access the BSL from the south side of the Market line.
    In other words find the Concourse path which crosses the tracks.
    I have not tried this since they created that Plaze on the West side of City Hall. So I would like to know as well.

eldondre is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dcss1205 View Post
    My recollection is that you need to access the BSL from the south side of the Market line.
    In other words find the Concourse path which crosses the tracks.
    I have not tried this since they created that Plaze on the West side of City Hall. So I would like to know as well.
    you cna transfer via the subway surface trolleys. the two dots (green and orange) indicate the entrance. use the diagonal walkway from suburban
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

Hal
    Hal is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mahohmei View Post
    OK, time for my question: how easy/hard is it to transfer between Regional Rail at Suburban Station and the Broad Street Line at City Hall?

Not that hard at all.

Takes, about 5 minutes to walk from the Suburban Station platforms to the BSL platforms.

City Hall Station has 3 access points.

First, there are stairs at the north side of the platform - the north stairs connect with the westbound trolley bay under Dilworth plaza.
    Second, there are stairs in the middle of the platform - the middle stairs connect to the MFL platforms on 15th street
    Third, there are exit only stairs at the south side of the platform - these connect to wide concourse under south Broad Street.

From the train platorms at Suburban Station, the most direct way to get to the BSL is to head south and east, along the diagonal corridor,
    you'll pass through a set of doors, past a post office on the left, Septa sales office on the right (good place to buy tokens if you don't have them)
    head east towards city hall, then left, down the stairs into the Trolley entrance.
    If you walk clockwise from the trolley turnstiles, you'll come upon a pair of staircases- the first staircase leads to the northbound BSL platform,
    the second leads to the southbound BSL platforms.

Of course, if you happen to be coming in from the northern suburbs, you can simply get off the train at Fern Rock, and transfer to the BSL there.

Hal

mixiboi is offline Philly Remixed

You can't get lost, they have enough Yellow construction signs down there now that you have to be blind to not find the BSL/SSL now.
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Consultant. Twitter: @Sdlaugh

NoComment is offline Member

As long as you find that diagonal path as you see on that map, it's the easiest route and you're in good shape. Once you pass walk between Taco Bell and Church's Chicken, when hit the set of doors- turn right for the El or go straight and follow the signs for the BSL.

Just keep in mind that between Suburban Station and City Hall stations, there's something like 5 Dunkin Donuts, 3 Church's Chicken and 3 Philly Pretzel Factory locations so that you don't feel like you're passing the same place again...

mixiboi is offline Philly Remixed

3 Dunkins and 2 Church's Chicken....
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Consultant. Twitter: @Sdlaugh

bluecuracao is offline Senior Member

Well, if you want to get all exact about it. LOL

I have to point out, however, that there is the one Dunkin' Donuts there that is a superior, well-oiled machine. During rush hour, you can place your order for coffee, get it, and pay within SECONDS.