Register
+ Reply to Thread
    giraffe42 is offline Senior Member

Default Public Transport to Longwood Gardens?

I could not find anything from SEPTA, is there anything else? Thanks.

I have never tried this, but this is what I can come up with:

R5 to Exton
    92 to West Chester Transportation Center
    SCOOT to Longwood Gardens

Service looks pretty rare; this will probably take 2 hours.

Kaizen is offline Member

SEPTA R2 to Wilmington DE

Connection via the Wilmington DE station..

Amtrak's Brandywine Connection (Greater Wilmington Convention and Visitors Bureau)

eldondre is online now Moderator

from their website:
    By Train
    AMTRAK trains stop at the Wilmington, DE, Station where you can conveniently connect to Longwood by a reserved 24-hour advance shuttle service, for a fee. For shuttle providers and train information, please
    Take Amtrak’s Brandywine Connection to the visit the Arts, Botanicals, and Châteaux of the Brandywine Valley at three of its most renowned attractions - Winterthur Museum & Country Estate, Longwood Gardens, and The Brandywine River Museum. Use the special Amtrak Discount Code V256 when traveling to/from Wilmington, DE – save 40% off the best available rail fare for one adult travel companion. Contact Amtrak at 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com. See below for more details.

Once in Wilmington, take advantage of the NEW shuttle connections to all Brandywine Valley attractions. Use one of our preferred transportation providers listed to the right and mention the Promo Code: Brandywine.
    Amtrak's Brandywine Connection (Greater Wilmington Convention and Visitors Bureau)
    As far as I can tell, the closest you can get via SEPTA is 202 and Rt1, though the r3 should, IMO, be extended to nearby Kennett Square.

giraffe42 is offline Senior Member

Thanks everyone! I should have mentioned that I did see the info on their website and I was trying to find a more direct way.
    A friend of mine asked because his grandmother-in-law is visiting and he is working so he is trying to find arrangements to get her to places without taking off work

Quote Originally Posted by giraffe42 View Post
    Thanks everyone! I should have mentioned that I did see the info on their website and I was trying to find a more direct way.
    A friend of mine asked because his grandmother-in-law is visiting and he is working so he is trying to find arrangements to get her to places without taking off work
    train to media, cab from there

Sycamore is offline Sure Shot

I'm a member at Longwood and it's spectacular. Worth the effort. But, it's going to be hassle to get there by public transport. And, I'm not sure where you'll find a cab in Media.

Quote Originally Posted by Sycamore View Post
    I'm a member at Longwood and it's spectacular. Worth the effort. But, it's going to be hassle to get there by public transport. And, I'm not sure where you'll find a cab in Media.
    my guess is telephone.
    AAA TAXI COMPANY
    10 Dyanna Ln
    Media,PA 19063
    (610) 566-7888
    I just pulled that off of yellowbook's website, you may want to ask around if there's a better company and certainly call ahead to verify it won't be a problem. It would be nice if SEPTA included taxi information on their schedules. I've had to get cabs in Paoli and Jenkintown before (oh yes, norristown as well). no issue except Jenkintown cab had the rudest dispatcher I've ever come across.

Alley is offline Senior Member

Longwood is definately worth the trip. When I lived in Wilmington DE I had a membership at Longwood. Note the restaurant is awesome too can't recall the name now.

I would call Longwood and ask their recommendation for public transportation.

If she took the train to Wilmington DE there is definately taxi service. I can't imagine how much that would cost though. The shuttle that is mentioned would likely be cheaper.

Can your friend drop her off in the am and pick her up later. Easily a place to spend the day. Enjoy the grounds have lunch sit under a shade tree with a book.

Quote Originally Posted by Alley View Post
    Longwood is definately worth the trip. When I lived in Wilmington DE I had a membership at Longwood. Note the restaurant is awesome too can't recall the name now.

I would call Longwood and ask their recommendation for public transportation.

If she took the train to Wilmington DE there is definately taxi service. I can't imagine how much that would cost though. The shuttle that is mentioned would likely be cheaper.

Can your friend drop her off in the am and pick her up later. Easily a place to spend the day. Enjoy the grounds have lunch sit under a shade tree with a book.
    is there a way to get to chadds ford winery by SEPTA? It so9nds nice, an afternoon sipping wine in the sun, listening to music but not something I'd want to to before driving back into the city.

Sycamore is offline Sure Shot

I live close enough to the winery to hear the music from my backyard. It's a lovely building and they have great tastings with a wide variety of wines. However, even though it's the oldest winery in PA, it's still young wine and tastes it.

Within a mile is also the Brandywine Museum which hosts mostly Wyeth works. It also provides a walking trail along the River (one of the few public river accesses in CF).

The Terrace Restaurant at Longwood was just renovated, so it's better than ever. I HIGHLY recommend the mushroom soup. It's phenomenal. We had our wedding reception there.

I see SEPTA driving down Route 1. I'm just not sure which bus it is.

BTW, there is a car share car in Media.

Quote Originally Posted by eldondre View Post
    is there a way to get to chadds ford winery by SEPTA?
    Unforunately, not that I am aware of. It is a nice winery

Quote Originally Posted by Sycamore View Post
    The Terrace Restaurant at Longwood was just renovated, so it's better than ever. I HIGHLY recommend the mushroom soup. It's phenomenal. We had our wedding reception there.
    Terrace Restaurant the name I could not recall. Geez, think I could have remembered that I got married (a long time ago) at The Terrace at Greenhill in Wilmington. Mention that for you Sycamore since you may know of it. I'm jealous of you a reception at Terrace Restaurant

niel is offline PB transplant

Quote Originally Posted by Alley View Post
    Unforunately, not that I am aware of. It is a nice winery
    Isn't there a bus route down Rte 1 in that area?

jackieshiler is offline Junior Member

Train would be a good option but you will see trains from septa travels often . so if you get the train that good otherwise you can go for bus as it is the last option and if money is no issues the you can hire a private taxi too.

BenDee is offline Senior Member

If your friend has a license, try renting. Assuming s/he is using the car sometime in the Thursday at noon through Monday at 11:59pm period (any number of days, but with a Friday or Saturday night 'keep', weekend rental rates are dirt cheap at the airport.

Try Avis with AWD code A686200 for a compact rental rate of ~$20/day. IIRC, it includes state minimum liability, and most credit card companies include collision.