Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Winthorpe is offline Member

Default Broad Street Subway..."Daws Closing"

I noticed while riding the Broad Street Subway to work this morning that a different woman now annouces each station stop. The most distinct difference is that the lady now says "DOORS CLOSING" rather than "DAWS CLOSING"

Anyone else notice this?

Thumbs up for the new recording
    He was wearing my Harvard tie. Can you believe it? My Harvard tie. Like oh, sure he went to Harvard.

Geno is offline Moderator

Was that woman from Liverpool?

ArcticSplash is offline Dixie Normus

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    Was that woman from Liverpool?
    I always imagined some late 50s, over-tanned Benson & Hedges chain smoker from Florida was making those announcements.

One minute she could be doing "The is Tasker-Marris STAI-SHUN", the next minute... going out with the girls to play canasta.

ArcticSplash is offline Dixie Normus

I think it would be cute if SEPTA could periodically change-up the voiceover announcements on the trains.

Like one afternoon, run the MTA NYC engine-diver announcer voice which is indecipherable to every human on the planet, the only thing you can make out is the rare occasion they slip in an epithet when there's a threat of a strike. "THIRTHEHTTNABD BRAWDAYTHTT NESSTTOPTH TWENNNYTHTEIT ERER FAWQ GUILIANI."

Or a witty celebrity announcement day.... like for one day all the South Philly stops are announced by Joey Vento.

BarryG is offline Senior Member

It depends what car you are in. Some cars still have the old recording, and in fact a lot of them lately have had no audio announcements at all. The new door announcement is actually "Doors are closing" and it sounds like the same announcement and voice as the El.

The old announcer was a woman from Philadelphia living in Germany. DN ran a piece about it a while ago, can't find it on their website (why would they want to drive traffic there, anyway?), but Colin's site has the full article:
    SEPTA Watch - Blog - Hearing voices on*SEPTA?
    Last edited by BarryG; 01-17-2011 at 08:02 PM.

cewillm is offline Senior Member

The history of the previous recordings are interesting. I believe the female was originally from Philadelphia and gained her odd accent from living in Germany for an extended period of time.

BSS announcements have always been hit-or-miss. Sometimes the announcements work, sometimes the operator makes manual announcements (which may or may not be audible), and sometimes it's silent. I've had fellow students afraid to take the subway because they claim they don't know how to know when they've arrived at their stop.
    Last edited by cewillm; 01-18-2011 at 12:56 AM.

Brian616 is online now Senior Member

Didn't they have to speed up the announcment a little, and that's what made it sound so strange? I wish I had a link, but I forgot where I read it...

mixiboi is offline Philly Remixed

Quote Originally Posted by cewillm View Post
    I've had fellow students afraid to take the subway because they claim they don't know how to know when they've arrived at their stop.

Yes because all those signs in the station are so hard to find and read. Suburban kids Psh...

And yeah, the strange sound was created POST editing of the audio, they are changing it over as soon as cars go into the shops...Which is why you have a mixed/no audio cars

Quote Originally Posted by mixiboi View Post
    Yes because all those signs in the station are so hard to find and read. Suburban kids Psh...

And yeah, the strange sound was created POST editing of the audio, they are changing it over as soon as cars go into the shops...Which is why you have a mixed/no audio cars
    Why are they changing it?

mixiboi is offline Philly Remixed

Quote Originally Posted by BarryG View Post
    Why are they changing it?
    Because people complained..More seriously, thanks to the revamped AT&T Station, they have to update the audio system to included it, so might as well fix that minor error, and add a bunch of other things people ask them to include at other stops(Street level places and cross routes)

phillysw is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MayfairMeat View Post
    I always imagined some late 50s, over-tanned Benson & Hedges chain smoker from Florida was making those announcements.

One minute she could be doing "The is Tasker-Marris STAI-SHUN", the next minute... going out with the girls to play canasta.
    OK, this is going to sound really weird...but I always imagined it was an Asian transgender woman. The voice has a weird inflection/stresses odd syllables, and it's a little deep for a lady (thus the smoking thing you mentioned). I can't explain it...that's the picture I got in my head!

I'll kind of miss it if it's changed now. I wonder if they got complaints about how weird it was?

I rode today on a car with the new announcements. Between Snyder and City Hall, the E-F and L-S recordings did not play properly--soft and garbled. The others sounded good. Main difference is that she speaks a bit more slowly and the words are more enunciated. When arriving at stops, she only says the stop name, so it's "Walnut-Locust" instead of "This is Walnut-Locust Station." "Daws closing" is now "Doors are closing."

When announcing the upcoming stop, T-M was was same, W-L is the same, but no longer lists "Avenue of the Arts" as a destination--just Kimmel and the Academy. I don't believe she mentioned the connection to the express train, but I'm not sure. City Hall no longer lists all the stairway exit numbers (good call), but does list out the individual trolley route numbers instead of just "subway-surface lines" or whatever it was before.

When I asked my coworker if his train this morning had the new announcements he said "I don't know, I wasn't paying attention." Hard to believe that some people don't care about this stuff.

CHIOSSO is online now Schuylkill Ranger

I noticed "the english lady" was gone on new years day.
    Moyamensing became known for its penitentiary, violent hose company, cemeteries, wretchedly poor inhabitants, and crime. Harry C. Silcox

cewillm is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BarryG View Post
    ...so it's "Walnut-Locust" instead of "This is Walnut-Locust Station." "Daws closing" is now "Doors are closing."

Oh man, this is awesome. If there's one thing I'll remember about my travels on SEPTA once I inevitably grow older and move away, it's the sexy-automaton "doors are closing" voice on the M-4 cars, followed by the lovely whining of the motors. I never get sick of hearing those sounds.

Winthorpe is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by MayfairMeat View Post
    I think it would be cute if SEPTA could periodically change-up the voiceover announcements on the trains.

Or a witty celebrity announcement day.... like for one day all the South Philly stops are announced by Joey Vento.
    I think this is a great idea. Having local celebs calling out each station stop. Like MayfairMeat suggested, having Joey Vento call out all stations (not just South Philly) would be really neat.

Some other announcers could include the following:

Mayor Nutter
    Will Smith
    Kevin Bacon
    Bill Cosby

So picture this, you board at AT&T station and just before the train pulls out of the station you hear something like this... "Hello and welcome aboard the Broad Street Subway, I'm Bill Cosby and I will be traveling with you today. Next station stop will be Oregon Avenue..."

Something to that affect.

Yes, I know it will be costly for SEPTA to do this but it would give each train its own personality.
    He was wearing my Harvard tie. Can you believe it? My Harvard tie. Like oh, sure he went to Harvard.

Outlaw Star is offline Mayor of 3rd Street

Quote Originally Posted by Winthorpe View Post
    So picture this, you board at AT&T station and just before the train pulls out of the station you hear something like this... "Hello and welcome aboard the Broad Street Subway, I'm Bill Cosby and I will be traveling with you today. Next station stop will be Oregon Avenue..."

Yes, I know it will be costly for SEPTA to do this but it would give each train its own personality.
    Especially if he throws in some Cosby-speak like "frazzle snazzle" or "bleeble blabble." Or talks about his experience making "Ghost Dad."

sputnik is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Winthorpe View Post
    I think this is a great idea. Having local celebs calling out each station stop. Like MayfairMeat suggested, having Joey Vento call out all stations (not just South Philly) would be really neat.

Some other announcers could include the following:

Mayor Nutter
    Will Smith
    Kevin Bacon
    Bill Cosby

You don't think Cos and Kevin Bacon would do it for free? Patti LaBelle? Schooly Dee? The Roots? Holy crap, that could be cool.

sputnik is offline Member

Sylvester Stallone!

ChiefSalsa is offline Utarded

I want to do smarmy messages.

"Next stop, North Philadelphia station. You really do not want to get off here."
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. Christopher Hitchens

lemonfresh is offline Senior Member

Wow. I'd always assumed that the voice was of a Japanese woman. Also wondered why SEPTA never did anything about the pronunciation "LomBARD," since we don't say it that way.