Register
+ Reply to Thread
    GMonkey is offline ship jumper?

Question Philly(area)-Baltimore Commute

So, I may have an opportunity to attend Johns Hopkins for 14-month program. I was wondering if anyone here (I'm looking your way, Eldondre) has taken the train from Philly to Baltimore.

Which trains did you take?
    How long was the commute?
    How much did it cost?
    How was the general experience?
    Max, you big hamburger!

CapnMarko is offline Cheezesteak guru w/w

At first I thought it might not be easily doable ... but it looks like Baltimore Penn Station is just 2 miles from Hopkins' main campus and not in 'Baltimore' proper or the BWI stop.

I can bet it will be expensive though. My monthly from Philly to Newark, NJ is almost $1200. I checked you get a bargain ... $1008 a month or $448 for a week (ten trip ticket).

Hopkins is a great school though and would be well regarded on a resume so it might be worth cost/pain of the commute. Or you might consider renting out a room for when you need to be in the program it may be cheaper than the train. (sucky option but it is one)
    "I'm stuck in New Jersey
    I don't expect too much
    If the world ended today
    I would adjust"

Quote Originally Posted by CapnMarko View Post
    At first I thought it might not be easily doable ... but it looks like Baltimore Penn Station is just 2 miles from Hopkins' main campus and not in 'Baltimore' proper or the BWI stop.

I can bet it will be expensive though. My monthly from Philly to Newark, NJ is almost $1200. I checked you get a bargain ... $1008 a month or $448 for a week (ten trip ticket).

Hopkins is a great school though and would be well regarded on a resume so it might be worth cost/pain of the commute. Or you might consider renting out a room for when you need to be in the program it may be cheaper than the train. (sucky option but it is one)
    Thanks for the response. Is this an Amtrak route?

I'm looking into Hopkins exactly because of the education and reputation, even though...yes commuting would be a pain. I can't realistically rent a room because my family is here and I can't uproot them because of school/work, etc. I can't imagine only seeing my family on the weekends, but I suppose that it's something I could consider. My mother in law is moving about an hour outside of Baltimore, so I could theoretically stay with her occasionally.

Surprisingly, the program offered at Hopkins is much faster and cheaper than programs around here.
    Max, you big hamburger!

eldondre is offline Moderator

Actually, I took classes in baltimore, though it was at UMD Baltimore Campus. The trip is about 1h15m or so to Penn Station from Philly. I don't know whether you are going to the medical campus or the main campus. the main campus is due north of the station in the Charles Village section. though I've never been there, I've heard good things about it. If it's the main campus, there's the 11, 3, and 61 buses from penn station
    Maryland Transit Administration

I was able to walk to and from the station to my campus (just west of downtown) which was actually further from the station than johns hopkins (2 and a quarter miles to UMBC and one and 3/4's to JU) BUT, I'm not sure about the area between the station and charles Village. I had to walk through downtown which could be desolate but pretty safe, esp on charles st. This thread is making me want to go down for a crab cake and some tasty beverages.
    edit: you have also have the option of driving to the station in wilmington
    Last edited by eldondre; 12-11-2008 at 10:40 AM.

CapnMarko is offline Cheezesteak guru w/w

Quote Originally Posted by GMonkey View Post
    Thanks for the response. Is this an Amtrak route?
    Yup, I'm 90% sure Amtrak is the only way to train from Philly to Baltimore.
    "I'm stuck in New Jersey
    I don't expect too much
    If the world ended today
    I would adjust"

Well, I was looking at the septa site, and waiting for the Amtrak site, which crashed, so I have yet to check that out. The bonus is that I actually live pretty close to the R2 line, so I could go to the Ridley or Folcroft station, rather than drive to Wilmington, which can suck during rush hour. I'm so used to taking the R3 into CC, I forgot about R2.

My classes would be at the JH main campus (Rutland Ave in Baltimore), but my clinicals would be at various hospitals throughout the Baltimore area: Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center, Johns Hopkins Maternal/Fetal Diagnostic Center, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Franklin Square Hospital Center, Good Samaritan Vascular Laboratory, Union Memorial Vascular Laboratory, and Sinai Hospital of Baltimore.
    Max, you big hamburger!

eldondre is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by GMonkey View Post
    Well, I was looking at the septa site, and waiting for the Amtrak site, which crashed, so I have yet to check that out. The bonus is that I actually live pretty close to the R2 line, so I could go to the Ridley or Folcroft station, rather than drive to Wilmington, which can suck during rush hour. I'm so used to taking the R3 into CC, I forgot about R2.

My classes would be at the JH main campus (Rutland Ave in Baltimore), but my clinicals would be at various hospitals throughout the Baltimore area: Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center, Johns Hopkins Maternal/Fetal Diagnostic Center, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Franklin Square Hospital Center, Good Samaritan Vascular Laboratory, Union Memorial Vascular Laboratory, and Sinai Hospital of Baltimore.
    Amtrak is also the only way taking the train would be worth it. It would be too long by a local, if there were one. Timewise, it may still make sense to take the train to 30th st since it's less than 15 minutes whereas it's 35 minutes to Wilmington (Amtrak is only 22 minutes I think). It's $392 for ten and $882 per month from Wilmington. I'd also suggest getting an Amtrak credit card to rack up some points for a trip on the acela, or some thing along those lines.