Register
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: left on red?

radiocolin is online now Senior Member

Default left on red?

I've dug through the city code but I can't seem to find an answer to this amongst the regulations.

Is it legal to make a left turn on red if turning from a one way street onto another one way street? For example, turning left from Lombard onto 8th on red (assuming there is not a "no turn on red" sign posted).

Sycamore is offline Sure Shot

No. It's never legal to make a left turn on red.

BenDee is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sycamore View Post
    No. It's never legal to make a left turn on red.
    Wrong. From Section 3112 of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code (emphasis mine):

Unless signing is in place prohibiting a turn, vehicular traffic facing a steady red signal may enter the intersection to turn right, or to turn left from a one-way highway onto a one-way highway after stopping as required by subparagraph (i).
    Source. Page 6 of the document, 1/3 of the way down. Specifically paragraph (a)(3)(ii) of section 3112.

Sycamore is offline Sure Shot

That's not what I was told by a local cop. I can't wait to tell him he's wrong.

PhillyKev is offline Super Troll

Quote Originally Posted by Sycamore View Post
    That's not what I was told by a local cop. I can't wait to tell him he's wrong.
    Yeah, he's totally wrong. Most cops don't know squat about the law.

OB2SP is offline Senior Member

As long as you are going from a one-way street to a one-way street and there is no sign prohibiting it, it is allowed. I believe many of the numbered streets traveling north that intersect Lombard do have a "No Turn on Red" sign, but up until about 7-8 years ago, there were no signs.

In Delco, where you get on to the Blue Route southbound from Route 1 southbound, there is a light where motorists need to turn left. Most drivers wait, not knowing that they are allowed to turn. The looks on their faces are always comical when they see someone turn on red.

notatouron is offline Member

Left turn on red one-way to one-way is legal in Pennsylvania. That is why there are so many "No Turn on Red" signs in places where the only thing you can do is turn left. I'm convinced some political person's cousin owns a sign-making company.

The police do not always know the law, even the basics from the driver's manual. Last year a cop told me that "the law" at four-way full-stop intersections is always to alternate with other cars coming toward the intersection. When I told him that "the law" is actually that the first car to arrive at the intersection has the right of way, and that if two cars arrive simultaneously the car on the left must yield to the car on the right, he had no idea what I was talking about.

Here's a link to the driver's manual. Pages 7 and 10 address these issues: http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms.../chapter_2.pdf

radiocolin is online now Senior Member

How you determine who is on the left and who is on the right? Wouldn't it be different from each vehicle's perspective?

Sailaway is offline Giggity Giggity Goo!

There actually was a left-on-right traffic light at the airport. Don't know if it's still there though.
    If you believe people should work till they die to pay for a government worker to retire at 50, you're a Democrat. Otherwise, you're a Republican. All other differences between the parties are trivial.

Politburo is offline Senior Member

No. The only ambiguity is when two vehicles approach from opposite directions. If no vehicles are turning, then both can proceed. Otherwise, the turning vehicle yields. If both are turning, the vehicle turning left yields to the vehicle turning right.