Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Chip Kelly

  1. #1
    OffenseTaken is offline Junior Dilettante
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,454

  2. #2
    PASnow is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    705

    Default

    I'll give him his chance.


    My prediction is it just doesn't work.

  3. #3
    PhillyCuse is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Sweet hire, I'm jealous. Can't wait to see a nfl coach who isn't a complete vagina on 4th down.

  4. #4
    lucidinnature is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Duh.
    Posts
    2,373

    Default

    I don't even know football that well and figured this would be the pick since it is Lurie's cheapest option.

  5. #5
    PhillyCuse is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lucidinnature View Post
    I don't even know football that well and figured this would be the pick since it is Lurie's cheapest option.
    Haha, oh wow.

  6. #6
    OffenseTaken is offline Junior Dilettante
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,454

    Default

    My old boss is an Oregon native, Oregon alumnus, and Ducks fanatic. He's going into conniptions right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by PASnow View Post
    My prediction is it just doesn't work.
    12 NFL Coaching Busts | 12 Successful College Coaches Who Were Busts in the NFL | Comcast.net

    The last college-to-NFL coach to win a Super Bowl was Barry Switzer, and the last seven coaches who made the jump from college to the pros have combined to win exactly one playoff game (Pete Carroll's 7-9 Seahawks, who shouldn't have been allowed near the playoffs, pulled off a shocker against the Saints this past year). One.

  7. #7
    PhillyCuse is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Funny how that article links to a picture of one of the top two current best coaches in the league.

  8. #8
    Brian616's Avatar
    Brian616 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Havertown
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyCuse View Post
    Funny how that article links to a picture of one of the top two current best coaches in the league.
    Yep, I wouldn't be surprised if he replaces Switzer as the most recent SB winner in another 3 weeks. I understand that your successful CEO-type delegator at a traditional powerhouse school probably doesn't have what it takes in the NFL, but guys like Harbaugh (and Kelly) who elevated downtrodden programs clearly have ability.

    I really, really hope Kelly doesn't water down his offense at all. Yous guys should draft Geno Smith as QB and Denard Robinson as an RB and see what happens.

  9. #9
    Outlaw Star's Avatar
    Outlaw Star is offline Mayor of 3rd Street
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Trapper's Pub
    Posts
    626

    Default

    Not impressed with the hire, and not just because college coaches tend to do pretty poorly on the pro-level. It's because gimmicks don't work in the NFL, and coaches that succeed based on gimmicks (Steve Spurrier and his Fun 'N Gun offense comes to mind), can't usually adapt.

    Kelly's blur offense is amazing at the college level, but let's be honest. A lot of his success is due to his teams being faster and more talented than the opposition, and a huge recruiting edge will do that to you. No such advantage exists in the NFL. Maybe a variation of his offense can work at the pro level, like what the Patriots are doing now. But the NFL is nothing if not an adaptable league, and gimmicks quickly lose their effectiveness. The ability to which he succeeds will depend on the degree to which he can base the offense in real, reliable tactics.

    Also, the guy's already come off as a giant douche for pissing off the fanbases of both the team he's leaving and the team he's going to. Oregon, for jerking them around and going back on his word, and Philly, for already declining once, showing me that maybe his heart isn't really in this.

  10. #10
    PhillyCuse is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw Star View Post
    Not impressed with the hire, and not just because college coaches tend to do pretty poorly on the pro-level. It's because gimmicks don't work in the NFL, and coaches that succeed based on gimmicks (Steve Spurrier and his Fun 'N Gun offense comes to mind), can't usually adapt.

    Kelly's blur offense is amazing at the college level, but let's be honest. A lot of his success is due to his teams being faster and more talented than the opposition, and a huge recruiting edge will do that to you. No such advantage exists in the NFL. Maybe a variation of his offense can work at the pro level, like what the Patriots are doing now. But the NFL is nothing if not an adaptable league, and gimmicks quickly lose their effectiveness. The ability to which he succeeds will depend on the degree to which he can base the offense in real, reliable tactics.

    Also, the guy's already come off as a giant douche for pissing off the fanbases of both the team he's leaving and the team he's going to. Oregon, for jerking them around and going back on his word, and Philly, for already declining once, showing me that maybe his heart isn't really in this.
    Why are you assuming that a variation of Oregon isn't exactly what he will bring - because the "old school" knuckleheads on espn like Mark Schlereth & John Clayton (who fawn over the Norv Turners of the world) are assuming he's going to run the exact same offense?
    He's a smart guy and big on analytics so I think he'll be adaptable. The spread just happened to be the best way to attack college defenses.

    Granted the Redskins were enormously successful with retreads & coordinators under Dan Snyder before&after Spurrier...oh wait no they sucked for 12+ years until they found a qb just like Bill Bellichick and pretty much every other nfl team not coached by Harbaugh.

  11. #11
    PASnow is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw Star View Post
    Not impressed with the hire, and not just because college coaches tend to do pretty poorly on the pro-level. It's because gimmicks don't work in the NFL, and coaches that succeed based on gimmicks (Steve Spurrier and his Fun 'N Gun offense comes to mind), can't usually adapt.
    Run N Shoot
    No Huddle
    Slash
    Wildcat
    ....


    Sure maybe he'll stop the spread offense, going for it on 4th down, and the 2 point conversion... but did he ever prove he can win doing that in the long run?! Just saying, maybe he'll work out, my guess is it doesn't. I'm willing to give him a chance, he deserves that much.

  12. #12
    Brian616's Avatar
    Brian616 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Havertown
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PASnow View Post
    Run N Shoot
    No Huddle
    Slash
    Wildcat
    ....


    Sure maybe he'll stop the spread offense, going for it on 4th down, and the 2 point conversion... but did he ever prove he can win doing that in the long run?! Just saying, maybe he'll work out, my guess is it doesn't. I'm willing to give him a chance, he deserves that much.
    The Patriots and Packers all run a lot of no huddle, while the Skins, Seahawks and 49ers run a lot of read option out of the pistol, which is basically the wildcat. I'd say those teams did pretty well this year. The best ideas are often formed in college now, and filter UP to the NFL. The Packers also run "packaged" plays, which are run/pass read options that Kelly used and helped to popularize while at Oregon. I think he'll be fine.

    Going for it on 4th down and going for 2 are the correct actions to make in the modern NFL, where offenses have the edge. Other coaches are just stuck in 70s "field position" thinking. As I said in another thread, I'm not even an Eagles fan, I just live here, but I'm super pumped for next year.

  13. #13
    PhillyCuse is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Well the going for it on 4th down part & 2pt conversions part he shouldn't stop - most coaches are terrible at that & punt far too much than simple math says they should.

    What are those "gimmicks" supposed to be examples of - teams that didn't win the Super Bowl? I can give you 5,000 examples of traditional offenses that didn't win Super Bowls. God Forbid the 2008 Dolphins lose a playoff game a year after going 1-15 though. I'm sure they would've had no problems steamrolling the competition on the way to a SB win with Chad Pennington taking 7 step drops and throwing darts.

  14. #14
    PhillyCuse is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    297

    Default

    ...
    Last edited by PhillyCuse; 01-16-2013 at 05:48 PM. Reason: duplicate post

  15. #15
    PASnow is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian616 View Post
    The Patriots and Packers all run a lot of no huddle, while the Skins, Seahawks and 49ers run a lot of read option out of the pistol, which is basically the wildcat. I'd say those teams did pretty well this year.
    I was more referring to the Bills of the early 90s who for a few seasons ran no-huddle all game long, I don't think the Packers or Pats do it for the entire game, just occasional drives to throw off the defense. I agree the Pats seem to do it quite a bit though, although they do have Tom Brady, who is, well, Tom Brady. The Skins, Seahawks & 9ers had a great season, though they had first year QB's. Lets see if/when defenses catch up. 49ers seem a bit more solid all around.

  16. #16
    PASnow is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian616 View Post

    Going for it on 4th down and going for 2 are the correct actions to make in the modern NFL, where offenses have the edge. Other coaches are just stuck in 70s "field position" thinking.
    In 5 years we'll see if this line of thinking really takes over in the NFL or not.

  17. #17
    PhillyCuse is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian616 View Post
    The Patriots and Packers all run a lot of no huddle, while the Skins, Seahawks and 49ers run a lot of read option out of the pistol, which is basically the wildcat. I'd say those teams did pretty well this year. The best ideas are often formed in college now, and filter UP to the NFL. The Packers also run "packaged" plays, which are run/pass read options that Kelly used and helped to popularize while at Oregon. I think he'll be fine.

    Going for it on 4th down and going for 2 are the correct actions to make in the modern NFL, where offenses have the edge. Other coaches are just stuck in 70s "field position" thinking. As I said in another thread, I'm not even an Eagles fan, I just live here, but I'm super pumped for next year.
    Right. Just this weekend in an epic battle of who can be a bigger out of touch with reality moron, Mike McCarthy set the bar high by punting on 4th&7 down 14 with 11 minutes left. Naturally SF ran the ball down their throats with a 4th down conversion just for the cherry on top.

    Mike Smith amazingly did his best to top that by kicking an XP up 26-7 after not one but two offsides penalties, potentially getting the ball at the half yard line, up 19 points. But ya know, you don't want to get beat by 2 TD's and 2 FG's when there's 15 minutes left, so you must kick. Why? Because that's what I've always done and I don't know what else to do and I don't really know how to think, that's why.
    Because there is no justice they just barely missed out on losing by a point.

    I was more referring to the Bills of the early 90s who for a few seasons ran no-huddle all game long
    And obviously a missed FG and having to play legendarily good teams the following 3 years is proof it "didn't work".

  18. #18
    NickFromGtown is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Germantown
    Posts
    610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lucidinnature View Post
    I don't even know football that well and figured this would be the pick since it is Lurie's cheapest option.
    Why do you think Jeff Lurie is cheap? The Eagles used to build teams through the draft. Then they tried to build a team through free agency.

    Did you know that the NFL salary floor is 90% of the salary cap? So it's really almost impossible for an NFL owner to be cheap. Saying Jeff Lurie is cheap is one of the most ridiculous narratives invented by Philadelphia sports fans.

    And who says that Chip Kelly is going to be cheap? First of all, he probably is the most sought after coach. Also, universities can't pay their players, so the only way they can typically make teams better is through paying coaching and improving their facilities. Have you ever seen how much college coaches make? It's not insignificant.

  19. #19
    Outlaw Star's Avatar
    Outlaw Star is offline Mayor of 3rd Street
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Trapper's Pub
    Posts
    626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyCuse View Post
    Why are you assuming that a variation of Oregon isn't exactly what he will bring - because the "old school" knuckleheads on espn like Mark Schlereth & John Clayton (who fawn over the Norv Turners of the world) are assuming he's going to run the exact same offense?
    He's a smart guy and big on analytics so I think he'll be adaptable. The spread just happened to be the best way to attack college defenses.

    Granted the Redskins were enormously successful with retreads & coordinators under Dan Snyder before&after Spurrier...oh wait no they sucked for 12+ years until they found a qb just like Bill Bellichick and pretty much every other nfl team not coached by Harbaugh.
    You're right, nobody knows exactly what he will bring. But all of the press on the guy fawns over the offense he built at Oregon and how innovative it is, so it stands to reason that he'll try to use at least some of that.

    FWIW, Norv Turner is a great offensive coordinator. Lousy head coach, but when his focus is on the offense--and strictly on the offense--he's one of the best in the game. He won two rings doing it with the Cowboys, and made dramatic improvements doing it at his other stops since. His only problem is that he keeps having delusions of head coach grandeur, and hasn't stayed as OC long enough in any one place.


    Quote Originally Posted by PASnow View Post
    Run N Shoot
    No Huddle
    Slash
    Wildcat
    ....


    Sure maybe he'll stop the spread offense, going for it on 4th down, and the 2 point conversion... but did he ever prove he can win doing that in the long run?! Just saying, maybe he'll work out, my guess is it doesn't. I'm willing to give him a chance, he deserves that much.
    I'm all for giving the guy a chance. I just think expectations should be really tempered.

  20. #20
    BarryG is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fishtown
    Posts
    6,514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lucidinnature View Post
    I don't even know football that well and figured this would be the pick since it is Lurie's cheapest option.
    I highly doubt Lurie is getting much of a bargain with Kelly. He was Lurie's #1 target and was sought by many teams. He held out for more money by leaking reports of staying at Oregon.

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2