Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Phillies 2013

Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator

Default Phillies 2013

67 days to go until Pitchers and Catchers report.

Winter meetings going on.

Phillies Nation just reported that Vance Worley and Trevor May have been traded for Ben Revere from the Twins.

Also, last I heard, Rauuuuul was being pursued or in talks with three teams, one of which was the Phillies.
    I am not the Jackass Whisperer.

raider.adam is offline Senior Member

Worley traded for a Centerfielder from the Twins.

redpinstripes is offline Senior Member

Sorry to see Vance go. I always thought he fit well here.

I like Yoshi, but I dont see any reason to get him.

Quote Originally Posted by raider.adam View Post
    Worley traded for a Centerfielder from the Twins.
    I said that :P

Quote Originally Posted by Hospitalitygirl View Post
    I said that :P
    Wow. I read the Raull part but not the Worley. Heh.

So the rotation as of right now. Is it Lee, Hamels, Halladay, Kendrick and then bring Cody up? Or think they will sign a starter?

dr_gingivitis is offline The Moral Authority

Reports are that old-man Young is coming here from Texas to play 3rd...
    "After it was all over, he took us in the house and served us pancakes. Pancakes!"

five apples is offline Deacon Blues

I like this trade, I think Worley was just going to be a decent middle rotation guy, and though May projects high, he isn't getting to the bigs soon. The player is cheap, young, and by all accounts good. I also hope he can hit lead off.

As to Young, I don't like trading anything of quality for an overpaid, older player who hasn't played 3rd regularly in awhile. The rumored player is schwimmer, who has the stud stuff but also is apparently a head case.
    "No one wanted to be mayor of Philadelphia. It was a thankless job, which for the first 56 years offered an annual salary of zero. In 1745, two men turned down the position and instead accepted large fines. In 1747, Anthony Morris fled to Bucks County to hide and thus avoid notification of his election. After Morris’s disappearance, a new election was held, and William Atwood was re-elected."

PhillyCuse is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by five apples View Post
    I like this trade, I think Worley was just going to be a decent middle rotation guy, and though May projects high, he isn't getting to the bigs soon. The player is cheap, young, and by all accounts good. I also hope he can hit lead off.

As to Young, I don't like trading anything of quality for an overpaid, older player who hasn't played 3rd regularly in awhile. The rumored player is schwimmer, who has the stud stuff but also is apparently a head case.
    Agree on both counts. Wish Revere had some more pop but seems like an ok deal.
    Young = do not want. An old/overpaid, bad defender who couldn't hit in a hitters park. That sounds more like the Rubin we all know & love.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyCuse View Post
    Young = do not want. An old/overpaid, bad defender who couldn't hit in a hitters park. That sounds more like the Rubin we all know & love.
    I have no problem with Revere and his stats--he hits for average, which means he gets on base...something some of our regular roster players have had problems with.

Quote Originally Posted by Hospitalitygirl View Post
    I have no problem with Revere and his stats--he hits for average, which means he gets on base...something some of our regular roster players have had problems with.
    And he's a young kid, so there can be even more upside to him down the road. If he ends up being a reliable #1 bat that gets on base, and for dirt cheap, I consider it a win. I like Worley, but I also like the idea of a workhorse right hand bat.

Quote Originally Posted by raider.adam View Post
    And he's a young kid, so there can be even more upside to him down the road. If he ends up being a reliable #1 bat that gets on base, and for dirt cheap, I consider it a win. I like Worley, but I also like the idea of a workhorse right hand bat.
    I think he is a lefty actually.
    "No one wanted to be mayor of Philadelphia. It was a thankless job, which for the first 56 years offered an annual salary of zero. In 1745, two men turned down the position and instead accepted large fines. In 1747, Anthony Morris fled to Bucks County to hide and thus avoid notification of his election. After Morris’s disappearance, a new election was held, and William Atwood was re-elected."

Jayallday is offline Large Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyCuse View Post
    Actually Texas would eat about $10 million of his salary and its only a one year deal so I think it's a smart move. I would love to see them get a veteran setup man and Josh Hamilton

johnnie is offline F the Eagles
    There are many ethnicities that I want to bang but don't want to live around. Most of them, in fact.

I think he is a lefty actually.
    He does bat lefty but throws righty which apparently he may wanna change. He is said to have the worst arm in baseball in the outfield. Could he be worse then Raul? Thats impressive. The phils biggest problem is the bpen. They need a setup man. They had a huge drop in era from 2011 partly due to starters but the pen cost them 10 games at least. The era went from 3.02 to 3.8 while runs scored only dropped by 30 or so over the year.
    Last edited by johnnie; 12-08-2012 at 10:08 AM.

There are many ethnicities that I want to bang but don't want to live around. Most of them, in fact.

Worley reminds me of Happ though some may not like the comparison. A good year or two till he got figured out. I think it was a good deal as we traded at Worley's highest value.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnie View Post
    Worley reminds me of Happ though some may not like the comparison. A good year or two till he got figured out. I think it was a good deal as we traded at Worley's highest value.
    I agree with this. I think the fact he couldn't go two whole seasons back to back is a concern, and he doesn't have great stuff. I like him, but there are lots of Worley's in baseball. The real possible loss is May, but who knows when and if he would get to the bigs.

I agree with this. I think the fact he couldn't go two whole seasons back to back is a concern, and he doesn't have great stuff. I like him, but there are lots of Worley's in baseball. The real possible loss is May, but who knows when and if he would get to the bigs.
    Worley or even happ could turn it around. They need more pitches like hamels learned a cutter. Regardless the phils got Young apparently. Dont know how I feel about that. Old man but could be an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnie View Post
    Worley or even happ could turn it around. They need more pitches like hamels learned a cutter. Regardless the phils got Young apparently. Dont know how I feel about that. Old man but could be an upgrade.
    I am ok with it. It is a stop gab trade. One year left, Rangers pick up 10 million, and we didn't give up any can't miss studs. I guess we hope he can play 3rd still and that Asche only needs one more year. Still need a set-up guy.

Geno is offline Moderator

Not so impressed with the new acquisitions. Young is on the down slope now at his age and Revere is a young Juan Pierre, a good role player, but not a center piece. He has no power, no arm and doesn't draw walks. The keys are Utley, Howard and Halladay. If they rebound it will be a good year, if they continue to fade we fall below .500

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    Not so impressed with the new acquisitions. Young is on the down slope now at his age and Revere is a young Juan Pierre, a good role player, but not a center piece. He has no power, no arm and doesn't draw walks. The keys are Utley, Howard and Halladay. If they rebound it will be a good year, if they continue to fade we fall below .500
    I understand not getting excited about these trades, but I think they were good trades in the sense that they were upgrades, cheap and probably didn't cost us too much. Young is clearly a rental and there wasn't anyone they were going to get to play third on the free agent market that would be better and cheaper. Look at what Youkillis got from the Yankees.

I don't think comparing Revere to Pierre is fair, nor even a bad thing. He might have the same arm as Pierre, but he is considered a premiere defender when it comes to actually getting to the ball. He is also 24, gets on base and costs half what Pierre would. He is not a centerpiece, but an upgrade over Mayberry, I would have liked either Upton, but both would have cost too much in prospects and or money. Revere is a nice complimentary piece, and Young a temporary fill in. Neither gives us the World Series, but we won't be competitive, as you pointed out unless Howard, Utley and Halladay can be productive and avoid dramatic fall offs in production. It is what it is. In fact if we aren't good at the deadline I expect Utley will be sent to AL where he can DH and play in the field now and than.