Register
+ Reply to Thread
    ChiefSalsa is offline Utarded

Default The EPL, 2012-13

The best club soccer in the world (and arguably, the best professional sports league in operation) returns on August 18th.

The link to the main page:

Official Site of the Premier League | premierleague.com

I will offer my fearless predictions before Opening Day.
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

My predictions, from 1 to 20:

1. ARSENAL: If RVP stays, they are as solid as you can get.
    2. MANCHESTER UNITED: Not a lot of turnover for a team that should have pulled away last year.
    3. MANCHESTER CITY: The champs will feel the pressure every single match. Not so much a dropoff as the other 2 pass them.
    4. CHELSEA: The FA and CL champs are loaded...but management questions keep them down.
    5. TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR: Spurs = Philadelphia Eagles. Another bridesmaid season.
    6. LIVERPOOL: A new passing scheme (think Spain) will eventually pay off with a return to top shelf status.
    7. NEWCASTLE UNITED: The Magpies have virtually the same team from last year. No risk, no reward.
    8. EVERTON: They go as Tim Howard goes. They need more scoring to ensure a Europa bid.
    9. QUEENS PARK RANGERS: QPR made a ton of moves. More goals = a run for the Europa.
    10. SUNDERLAND: An attcking style should scare bigger teams and feast on the bottom dwellers.
    11. STOKE CITY: Yet, another team that will try to attack to steal points.
    12. NORWICH CITY: Boring, but effective. Turnover makes them a mystery.
    13. FULHAM: Relying on 31 year old Mladen Petric to score goals if Clint Dempsey leaves could knock them out of the league.
    14. READING: Tons of transfers and big spending owners should buy them a 2nd year in the EPL.
    15. WEST BROMWICH ALBION: Doing more with less for years, West Brom is running out of smoke and mirror tricks.
    16. WEST HAM: The poor man's team is back in the big league. Expect the Hammers to scoreless tie their way out of relegation.
    17. ASTON VILLA: The youth movement isn't working. Just like last year, they will barely survive.
    18. SWANSEA CITY: It was a miracle they stayed up top; they simply have no magic pixie dust left.
    19. WIGAN ATHLETIC: Completely outclassed. They will suffer often.
    20. SOUTHAMPTON: The Saints will march into certain death. One and done.
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

ndebergerac is offline Senior Member

Arsenal are definitely a bit of a dark horse. Obviously everyone is talking about the Manchester clubs and Chelsea. Neither of the Manchester clubs have really shown their muscle in the transfer window (yet) and there are still too many questions regarding Chelsea, though, on paper, they've probably strengthened the most. Arsenal have added some legit quality to their attack and haven't lost any of their leading players for a change. RVP looks set to stay, no one's going to pay over the odds for a 29 year old with 1 year left that flopped at the Euros.

It's hard to see beyond the top 4, the order they finish looks wide open, so we should be in for an exciting season. Spurs will again be sniffing around through the first half of the year, then fall away, any one of 5 or 6 could take the other guaranteed Europa League place.

Can't see past Southampton to go down. Wigan and Swansea seem the most likely to follow, though I've a hunch Aston Villa's time is up.

If I were a betting man, I'd through my money at City. They still have the best squad on paper and I'd be surprised if they don't add that galactico style signing. Too many questions about Chelsea's defense and Lampard just isn't cutting it any more. Man Unt need to improve, not sure they'll find enough quality. Arsenal look very good on paper, but who knows if the new faces will gel. All 4 will probably still be in the hunt around February, Champions League commitments may hamper EPL ambitions.

Last word saved for Liverpool. I think they're weaker than last season without Kuyt. Dalglish is gone, but they're still overspending on unproven players. They'll be one of the clubs hunting for 6th, but they could end up down in 8th or 9th.
    Last edited by ndebergerac; 08-14-2012 at 12:38 PM.
    "where is daddy, why doesn't he love me enough to stop drinking in the park" - LIN

Well, looks like United beat City to the first really big name to arrive in Manchester. If Rooney and RVP find form and gel quickly, that could be an explosive partnership. 24 million pounds seems a fair compromise, I thought Arsenal might be looking for closer to the 30-35 range. Do Arsenal invest further now they have money to burn? I think they'll need to.

In other news it's reported Real Madrid have made a final offer for Modric, but still well short of Spurs valuation. Great player as he is, it's not worth keeping a sulker around, plus I'm not sure Villa-Boas has the man management skills to handle the situation.
    "where is daddy, why doesn't he love me enough to stop drinking in the park" - LIN

Can I change my pick to Man U winning it?

Wow!

billpa is offline R5 Harrisburg

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefSalsa View Post
    Can I change my pick to Man U winning it?

Wow!
    Well, you did say if RVP stays, so you're off the hook.

I bad mouth Mladen Petric and he scores twice.

Stay hot!

Plenty of logic in Spurs transfer dealings today. They finally secure Adebayor as QPR bid for Michael Dawson after their 5-0 humiliation to Swansea. Bassong moves to Norwich. Now, if they only keep Modric happy.

Man City bid for Scott Sinclair. Not the galactico signing I was expecting.

10 days to go.

BBC Sport - Luka Modric: Real Madrid to buy midfielder from Tottenham
    Looks like Modric gets his big move, Spurs have a pretty tight squad right now and are certainly looking weaker than last season. A couple of quality midfield additions and perhaps another striker are a must if they are to compete for 4th.

EDIT: Looks like M'Vila might be the first piece.
    Last edited by ndebergerac; 08-27-2012 at 09:50 AM.

If I am Sir Alex, I am just as concerned that Man U's defense looks disorganized as I am losing Wayne Rooney for a month.

If I am Arsenal, I get on a phone with Fulham and pay whatever they ask for to get Clint Dempsey. The Gunners are, right now, the definition of punchless.

Great match yesterday between Liverpool and Man City. Liverpool and Newcastle are the two teams I root for most. It was good to hear Anfield come alive yesterday.

NBC secures English Premier League soccer rights - Yahoo! Sports

The Prem is on a roll. A gazillion dollars in TV rights, increased American exposure and the unproven but widely held belief that it is the best club soccer on the planet.

The problem is whether NBC sits back and lets the league speak for itself. ESPN and Fox have been so good for so long because they did not overhype or overproduce the matches. They did not need to.

Opinions?

five apples is offline Deacon Blues

NBC secures English Premier League soccer rights - Yahoo! Sports

The Prem is on a roll. A gazillion dollars in TV rights, increased American exposure and the unproven but widely held belief that it is the best club soccer on the planet.

The problem is whether NBC sits back and lets the league speak for itself. ESPN and Fox have been so good for so long because they did not overhype or overproduce the matches. They did not need to.

Opinions?
    Not sure about how it will affect coverage, but as a business move I think it is good for NBC. Hockey, three weeks of the Tour and some college sports doesn't make for much of a sports network. Does this mean there will be no EPL games now on Fox Soccer?
    "No one wanted to be mayor of Philadelphia. It was a thankless job, which for the first 56 years offered an annual salary of zero. In 1745, two men turned down the position and instead accepted large fines. In 1747, Anthony Morris fled to Bucks County to hide and thus avoid notification of his election. After Morris’s disappearance, a new election was held, and William Atwood was re-elected."

My predictions, from 1 to 20:

1. ARSENAL: If RVP stays, they are as solid as you can get.
    2. MANCHESTER UNITED: Not a lot of turnover for a team that should have pulled away last year.
    3. MANCHESTER CITY: The champs will feel the pressure every single match. Not so much a dropoff as the other 2 pass them.
    4. CHELSEA: The FA and CL champs are loaded...but management questions keep them down.
    5. TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR: Spurs = Philadelphia Eagles. Another bridesmaid season.
    6. LIVERPOOL: A new passing scheme (think Spain) will eventually pay off with a return to top shelf status.
    7. NEWCASTLE UNITED: The Magpies have virtually the same team from last year. No risk, no reward.
    8. EVERTON: They go as Tim Howard goes. They need more scoring to ensure a Europa bid.
    9. QUEENS PARK RANGERS: QPR made a ton of moves. More goals = a run for the Europa.
    10. SUNDERLAND: An attcking style should scare bigger teams and feast on the bottom dwellers.
    11. STOKE CITY: Yet, another team that will try to attack to steal points.
    12. NORWICH CITY: Boring, but effective. Turnover makes them a mystery.
    13. FULHAM: Relying on 31 year old Mladen Petric to score goals if Clint Dempsey leaves could knock them out of the league.
    14. READING: Tons of transfers and big spending owners should buy them a 2nd year in the EPL.
    15. WEST BROMWICH ALBION: Doing more with less for years, West Brom is running out of smoke and mirror tricks.
    16. WEST HAM: The poor man's team is back in the big league. Expect the Hammers to scoreless tie their way out of relegation.
    17. ASTON VILLA: The youth movement isn't working. Just like last year, they will barely survive.
    18. SWANSEA CITY: It was a miracle they stayed up top; they simply have no magic pixie dust left.
    19. WIGAN ATHLETIC: Completely outclassed. They will suffer often.
    20. SOUTHAMPTON: The Saints will march into certain death. One and done.
    Well, let's compare my predictions to reality:

English Premier League on Yahoo! Sports - News, Scores, Standings

OK, I suck.

* Arse would not be on top if they kept RVP, but they'd be much closer to a CL spot for next year.

* The smoke and mirrors are in full vigor at West Brom. Great story.

* Chelsea is falling apart fast.

* Newcastle and Villa deserve to be floundering. They made ZERO positive moves in the off season.

* Man U's indifference to playing defense will cost them dearly---provided Man City stops tying everyone.

* Kudos to the Hammers and the Swans for their positive play. Now, we just need to get West Ham to ban those fans who gave the Nazi salute last week.

* Liverpool, please stop diving.

* The Manchester Derby is December 9th. My calender is cleared.