Register
+ Reply to Thread
    fiveomar is online now Senior Member

Arrow Vacation Properties near Philadelphia ~$100k?

Anyone know of a good area within approx. 1.5 hours of Philly that would be a good spot to buy a modest vacation house for around $100k or less?

Something with good options for outdoor activities, ie. near swimming areas, forest, hiking, skiing, etc. Basically a retreat home to escape city life for the weekend.

macdaire is offline Senior Member

Delaware. It has low real estate taxes and if you look the far side of route 1 you can buy for less but be less than 10 miles from beach.

John Goodman is offline Senior Member

Check out Jim Thorpe, pa area

ShoshTrvls is offline Senior Member

Yes, there are areas of the Poconos where you would be able to find a small place for that amount. You would have a lot of options in White Haven, in particular, which is on/close to the Lehigh River and several state parks. Skiing is also nearby in the winter. To get someplace where you can swim you'll need to be in a lake community though - check out albrightsville, as there are a few such developments there (Briercrest Woods and Towaminsing Trails in particular -- avoid Holiday Poconos at all costs).
    Last edited by ShoshTrvls; 01-16-2013 at 07:09 AM.

Pitt is offline Senior Member

Believe it or not you can find small modular summer home communities within 10 minutes of Wildwood that fit your price range. At least that was the case a few years ago. I doubt much has changed.

The problem with the shore is that you are talking about 3 mos of the year. It sounds like the OP wants a more year-round place.

The problem with NJ is not the house proces but the taxes. Delaware can offer you the beach without the $5000 tax bill. However, it does look like he is looking for a mountain retreat.

(duplicate post)
    Last edited by fiveomar; 01-16-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoshTrvls View Post
    The problem with the shore is that you are talking about 3 mos of the year. It sounds like the OP wants a more year-round place.
    Exactly, looking for something year-round (including skiing nearby) or at least 3/4 of the year. NJ is out of the question due to property taxes. Thanks for all the tips so far.
    Last edited by fiveomar; 01-16-2013 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fiveomar View Post
    Exactly, looking for something year-round (including skiing nearby) or at least 3/4 of the year. NJ is out of the question due to property taxes. Thanks for all the tips so far.
    I've had a house in the Poconos for more than ten years now and have no regretted it for a single day. I go up almost every weekend, and it is as much my home as my house in the city. PM me if you want more info --

NJbound is offline Guest

Quote Originally Posted by macdaire View Post
    The problem with NJ is not the house proces but the taxes. Delaware can offer you the beach without the $5000 tax bill. However, it does look like he is looking for a mountain retreat.
    Um. South Jersey shore trailers are basically no taxes. Never in a million years would it be $5000. Look into it before you discount it.. I know people white shore(near) trailers and they pay $1000 for taxes.

Hers a dandy module home for less then $40k near the beach. Not sure how much that tax is cause its in a development and you usually pay a fee for maintenance but at $40k who cares

http://hotpads.com/search/state/NJ#l...ultsPerQuad=24
    Last edited by NJbound; 01-16-2013 at 12:23 PM.

NJbound is offline Guest

You can also get renovated motel rooms in hotels for less the $100 right IN Wildwood walking distance to the beach.. small but walk to the beach.

lucidinnature is offline Banned

The lancaster area has places dirt cheap.

The modular approach has two major issues- getting a loan is very difficult because it is a modular home. In addition, the sites are life time lease scenarios. I have no desire to pay a land lease. I have done a lot of research into this and NJ was not as an attractive option as Delaware was.

NickFromGtown is offline Senior Member

My favorite shore towns are probably Fishtown and Bridesburg. Depending on how much work you want to put into it, you can probably get one for cheap.

NJbound is offline Guest

Quote Originally Posted by macdaire View Post
    The modular approach has two major issues- getting a loan is very difficult because it is a modular home. In addition, the sites are life time lease scenarios. I have no desire to pay a land lease. I have done a lot of research into this and NJ was not as an attractive option as Delaware was.
    Getting a $40k loan is as easy as pie. It does not matter that its a trailer. Got a co worker near that place and she said it was easy and cheap.

PASnow is offline Senior Member

Up North. Check out the places in Holiday Pocono & Hickory Hills, they are nice areas with a couple 100k homes. Worth checking out. Cool modest little resort areas & the air up there is amazing!

Pocono Property Search - Pocono Real Estate Listings - Pocono Resorts Realty