Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Eastcoast is offline Senior Member

Default AVI Guesstimates: When are due to be sent out?

Frankly, I have lost track of when the AVI re/assessments are due to be sent round? I seem to remember March 2013 being bandied around in some quarters but with all the commotion...

I know that some have already received theirs but I believe there was a more "formal" timeline somewhere.

Thnx

thesomersteam is offline Senior Member

Here is our AVI playbook. The only item to add to that would be to apply for the homestead exemption if you have not done so already.

Your AVI (Actual Value Initiative) Handbook/Playbook « TheSomersTeamBlog
    Realtor / Owner REMAX Access

http://www.thesomersteam.com/
    http://www.accessphilly.com/

@phillyrealty
    @thesomersteam

Quote Originally Posted by thesomersteam View Post
    Here is our AVI playbook. The only item to add to that would be to apply for the homestead exemption if you have not done so already.

Your AVI (Actual Value Initiative) Handbook/Playbook « TheSomersTeamBlog
    Well thanks for the reply but I'm not a big fan of your using this site as a marketing platform so I won't be clicking thru.

No worries. New AVI assessments should be sent out Dec 2012 - Jan 2013 for 2014 tax bill.

The only links I post here are informative - whether it be myself as a source or anyone else for that matter. I understand the sensitivity of spam and never market or advertise a specific listing or open house on this medium.

~ Chris

Quote Originally Posted by thesomersteam View Post
    No worries. New AVI assessments should be sent out Dec 2012 - Jan 2013 for 2014 tax bill.

The only links I post here are informative - whether it be myself as a source or anyone else for that matter. I understand the sensitivity of spam and never market or advertise a specific listing or open house on this medium.

~ Chris
    Thank you.

five apples is offline Deacon Blues

I applied for the Homestead Exemption and have not heard anything back on it. Has anyone gotten any sort of confirmation that their exemption was reviewed, accepted or received?
    "No one wanted to be mayor of Philadelphia. It was a thankless job, which for the first 56 years offered an annual salary of zero. In 1745, two men turned down the position and instead accepted large fines. In 1747, Anthony Morris fled to Bucks County to hide and thus avoid notification of his election. After Morris’s disappearance, a new election was held, and William Atwood was re-elected."

Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by five apples View Post
    I applied for the Homestead Exemption and have not heard anything back on it. Has anyone gotten any sort of confirmation that their exemption was reviewed, accepted or received?
    I applied for it as well but to date have not heard anything. I also don't know that we've received our 2013 bill yet.
    I am not the Jackass Whisperer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hospitalitygirl View Post
    I applied for it as well but to date have not heard anything. I also don't know that we've received our 2013 bill yet.
    December (next month) tax bills will be mailed out for 2013. This will be pre-AVI.

And when the AVI assessment comes out subsequent on that, my understanding is that notice will state if the homestead application was received.

CityofPhilaOPA is offline Junior Member

Assessment Change Notices for Tax Year 2014 will be mailed to all property owners in February 2013. These notices will contain the property's new assessed value under the Actual Value Initiative. For eligible homeowners who submitted their Homestead Exemption application by Nov. 15, 2012, the Exemption will also be listed on the Assessment Change Notice. Learn more about key dates for Tax Years 2013 and 2014.

If you have not yet submitted a Homestead application, applications will continue being accepted until July 31, 2013, however, the Exemption may not be reflected on the Assessment Change Notice. For additional information or to get an application, visit the OPA website or contact the Homestead Hotline at 215-686-9200.

ArcticSplash is offline Dixie Normus

Bunch of people keep asking if OPA ever got their homestead exemption forms.

As if that will even barely do anything to lower the amount you'll be slammed with in neighborhoods where AVI is going to be raising taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticSplash View Post
    Bunch of people keep asking if OPA ever got their homestead exemption forms.

As if that will even barely do anything to lower the amount you'll be slammed with in neighborhoods where AVI is going to be raising taxes.
    AS what's your top 5 list of neighborhoods that are going to get spanked?

#1 being the worst/highest?

bootsywannabe is offline Banned

The BRT raised my taxes 400% in 2003/2004. First they erroneously taxed my property twice, doubling the taxes; they split it into two BRT numbers even though there is only one deed, leading to a 100% increase in taxes. Then they reassessed each parcel at 100% higher than it was previously, leading to a total 400% increase, counting the split. I called BRT on their mistake and they reduced my taxes 25% from the newly inflated 400% increases, so my taxes still went up 300% in one year essentially. They threatened to raise my taxes further if I appealed. So I have been paying 50% more than my two neighbors, for 8 years, even though I have less square footage, and two fewer floors, than either of their properties. Ron White used to have his offices next door. No word on whether politics played a role. His property was not reassessed though, nor was it split into 2 parcels by the BRT.

Get ready for a similarly Kafkaesque experience.

ArcticSplash is offline Dixie Normus

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoast View Post
    AS what's your top 5 list of neighborhoods that are going to get spanked?

#1 being the worst/highest?
    NoLibs is gonna eat it big time.

And G-Ho is gonna get it too. That one will be interesting because of the amount of PHA and Universal property all over the neighborhood. Did OPA take care to comp everyone in groups so those with original condition homes don't get socked by either the new Universal construction or the market rate stuff? I doubt it.

I've seen an estimate database that's been floating around OPA. The market assessment is much higher than before but it's not what I paid. Those figures might change drastically though. That's why we have to wait another 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticSplash View Post
    NoLibs is gonna eat it big time.

And G-Ho is gonna get it too. That one will be interesting because of the amount of PHA and Universal property all over the neighborhood. Did OPA take care to comp everyone in groups so those with original condition homes don't get socked by either the new Universal construction or the market rate stuff? I doubt it.

I've seen an estimate database that's been floating around OPA. The market assessment is much higher than before but it's not what I paid. Those figures might change drastically though. That's why we have to wait another 2 months.
    I'm with you on NoLIbs and the G-Ho.

I'm thinking:

1. Northern Liberties
    2. G-Ho
    3. Bella Vista
    4. Passyunk Square, EPX (if there's a way to really separate these from S Philly at large)
    5. ?????? the surprise hood, Fitler Square, Chinatown, Old City??????

bootsywannabe is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CityofPhilaOPA View Post
    Assessment Change Notices for Tax Year 2014 will be mailed to all property owners in February 2013. These notices will contain the property's new assessed value under the Actual Value Initiative. For eligible homeowners who submitted their Homestead Exemption application by Nov. 15, 2012, the Exemption will also be listed on the Assessment Change Notice. Learn more about key dates for Tax Years 2013 and 2014.

If you have not yet submitted a Homestead application, applications will continue being accepted until July 31, 2013, however, the Exemption may not be reflected on the Assessment Change Notice. For additional information or to get an application, visit the OPA website or contact the Homestead Hotline at 215-686-9200.

How much taxpayer money does the OPA spend each year, i.e. what is your total budget?

How many appraisers has the OPA hired in the last four years, and what is their average salary?

What is the total Pension liability of your department?

How much would we save as taxpayers by eliminating your Department?

five apples is offline Deacon Blues

So until than I just have to hope that our awesome city government got my application, and processed it correctly. Awesome.
    "No one wanted to be mayor of Philadelphia. It was a thankless job, which for the first 56 years offered an annual salary of zero. In 1745, two men turned down the position and instead accepted large fines. In 1747, Anthony Morris fled to Bucks County to hide and thus avoid notification of his election. After Morris’s disappearance, a new election was held, and William Atwood was re-elected."

Malloy is offline Administrator

I submitted my Homestead application the first week it was released. A month or 2 later, one shows up in my mail as if I never sent the original in. I filled that out and sent it in too. I sure hope they got them...
    Like PS on Facebook!

AsYouWere is offline Banned

As tenants aren't directly subjected to property taxes I am wondering if I transfer the deed to a tenant if taxes will apply?

macdaire is offline Senior Member

Malloy, I think I have filled out 3 because I have no faith that they will actually be processed and I keep getting them sent to my house. I also mailed in the original one that was sent to an office outside the city. Go figure.
    As a landlord I just got a $12 bill from 2011 on apparently unpaid refuse collection! It included a penalty and interest. It is total BS but I know I will be so long on the phone that I might as well pay it. I cannot imagine what a clus***f*** this will be.

annie is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
    I submitted my Homestead application the first week it was released. A month or 2 later, one shows up in my mail as if I never sent the original in. I filled that out and sent it in too. I sure hope they got them...
    They sent that out to everyone regardless of whether an application was previously completed. I sent mine Certified Mail because I like filling out little squares of paper at the Post Office.