Register
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Photo programs

ZARK is online now Senior Member
    Delaware Valley, From King of Prussia to Washington Twp N.J.

Default Photo programs

Quick question, I am not well versed in al the Photoshop type programs, and was wondering what photo program I can get for a nonprofessional editing. Thanks Roman

Litter Box is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZARK View Post
    Quick question, I am not well versed in al the Photoshop type programs, and was wondering what photo program I can get for a nonprofessional editing. Thanks Roman
    I am sure there are better but I've been using IRfanview for 6 or 7 years. Re size, crop, lighten, darken, captions etc. Very basic.
    But all in all, it's been a fabulous year for Laura and me.
    12/21/2001 White House release: President Highlights

Strandherd is offline Member

Photoshop allows one to do any of the basic editing one needs and isn't complicated in that regard - the program is simply infinitely more expanded in terms of what it can also do. If the basic stuff is all you need it isn't worth laying out the high price for PS. Digital cameras usually ship with their own editing software - even MS Paint can do the simple stuff.

enyo is online now Senior Member

It might not be what you are looking for. But I would use gimp if I wanted a free program for photo editing. Its more advanced but it will give you more options/ versatility and you can still learn the basic features relatively fast.
    "Believing is seeing" - paraphrased from PH

Bob_Head is offline Immoderat0r

What OS? Adobe Photoshop elements gets you 85% of Photoshop's features and functionality for about about 20% of the price. You can download a trial version to see if you like it. Adobe Photoshop Elements 9
    Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine.

davidr756 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Litter Box View Post
    I am sure there are better but I've been using IRfanview for 6 or 7 years. Re size, crop, lighten, darken, captions etc. Very basic.
    Irfanview is a fabulous program. It is simple yet powerful and best of all, free. I have been using it for close to 10 years

ZARK is online now Senior Member
    Delaware Valley, From King of Prussia to Washington Twp N.J.

Thanks for the replies, some good ideas there, Just to clarify I don't mine spending $50 to $60 but there were some programs going for $400. Need it to remove blemishes from faces, remove unruly hair, correct contrast and color, and be able to combine photos. I am using Windows 7.

Bob_Head is offline Immoderat0r

Thanks for the replies, some good ideas there, Just to clarify I don't mine spending $50 to $60 but there were some programs going for $400. Need it to remove blemishes from faces, remove unruly hair, correct contrast and color, and be able to combine photos. I am using Windows 7.
    You can get Photoshop Elements 9 for about $80. Version 8 can be had for $60 to 65. Both will do what you're looking for and then some. The older version won't support some features of the latest and greatest cameras, but if that's not an issue, it should do what you need.

You can also try The GIMP. Full featured and powerful, my only knock on it is an interface which feels a bit kludgey at times. But, it's free, and at that price I can't bitch.
    Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine.

phrequency is offline Senior Member

Looking for news in Philadelphia? Look no further: http://phillynewsfeeds.com - aggregates all top philly news and blogs all in one easy to use spot.

davidr756 is offline Member

Picasa is free and does a fantastic job

Beutelratte is offline Senior Member

+1 for gimp. Does most of what Photoshop does, and it's free. Try that before you spend $$ on something else.

lucidinnature is offline Banned

Just use gimp. It's like photoshop but completely free and supported by the community. There's actually some things I think gimp does better than photoshop...
    GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

lucidinnature is offline Banned

oops...nevermind...just saw the other people recommend it.