Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    themow is offline Junior Member

Default Will the city help when a business is scamming people?

I am not going to post the story because I am unsure if it id against forum rules. If it is not, I will gladly tell my story. Is there any city department that will help citizens that are frauded by a business here? There are multiple yelp reviews similar to my story. The BBB was no help.

Gladys is offline Senior Member

call 311 or contact 6abc they have a special investigative reporter that does things like this.
    "If you're going to tell people the truth, you better make them laugh; otherwise they'll kill you."
    - attributed to both George Bernard Shaw & Oscar Wilde

"I never clean up after my dogs, because I have trained them to run with me off leash while I ride my bike the wrong way on the sidewalk."
    - LUCas
    Originally Posted by Dave L

How to start an argument online. (Or off line.)
    1. Express an opinion.
    2. Wait.

Minze is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by themow View Post
    I am not going to post the story because I am unsure if it id against forum rules. If it is not, I will gladly tell my story. Is there any city department that will help citizens that are frauded by a business here? There are multiple yelp reviews similar to my story. The BBB was no help.
    Isn't that what the courts are for? If you have been defrauded by a person or business you can sue them for restitution.

lucidinnature is offline Banned

Why don't you just tell us the story so that we can better assist you.

Marc is offline bier dimpfe

Depends on whether the business is connected enough with elected officials or their friends.

Here is the story

Optimal gym on bainbridge offers a free 2 week trial for friends of members. I am a member there and had a friend come in for the 2 week trial with a $1 fee on a card. 2 weeks after the free trial began, my friend called and cancelled. I also made sure it was cancelled when I went in to work out. 7 months later friend says optimal gym has charged $69 for the past 7 months. I called to see what they would do. I spoke with an owner Tim. He said ok let me see if I can get the billing company to refund you because this is their fault. Along with an apology. Well 3 months of emails and calls, he tells me the billing company will not take responsibility for this screw up. Then proceeds to tell me there will be no refund. BBB and reversing charges didnt do much in terms of total money stolen.

Once he realized the billing company would not assume responsibility, knowing that any refund would come from his pocket, his tone changed and so did his story. There are other reviews on the web of this place doing the same thing.

Forgot to add that when he requested proof that it was cancelled at the 2 week mark, he was provided with a phone bill showing a call to the gym on the date 2 weeks after the free trial began.

Jayfar is offline Junior Old Fart

Here is the story

Optimal gym on bainbridge offers a free 2 week trial for friends of members. I am a member there and had a friend come in for the 2 week trial with a $1 fee on a card. 2 weeks after the free trial began, my friend called and cancelled. I also made sure it was cancelled when I went in to work out. 7 months later friend says optimal gym has charged $69 for the past 7 months. I called to see what they would do. I spoke with an owner Tim. He said ok let me see if I can get the billing company to refund you because this is their fault. Along with an apology. Well 3 months of emails and calls, he tells me the billing company will not take responsibility for this screw up. Then proceeds to tell me there will be no refund. BBB and reversing charges didnt do much in terms of total money stolen.

Once he realized the billing company would not assume responsibility, knowing that any refund would come from his pocket, his tone changed and so did his story. There are other reviews on the web of this place doing the same thing.

Forgot to add that when he requested proof that it was cancelled at the 2 week mark, he was provided with a phone bill showing a call to the gym on the date 2 weeks after the free trial began.
    Almost all fitness clubs run similar scams. Common knowledge.
    “Guys like you I would dispatch with my roofing axe.” -- BootsywannabeACretin

Marquis is offline Banned

This is why I don't work out.

You are not telling the whole story. I know this because I dealt with the same thing at the same exact place.

First off-there's more than one owner, and they're all great people and not 'rip off artists'. This is how all gyms operate. Most outsource their billing dept. because of the headaches. You can not just call the gym and say 'I'm canceling'.

I'm always amazed at how people flippantly sign contracts without reading them. I sent a letter to the address on the contract, and my membership was cancelled. No mess, no fuss, and no billing past the term.
    Here is the story

Gone is offline Banned

I never heard a good story about a gym, I had to do battle with Sweat gym when I opted out of a Month to Month deal. They did rip me off for 2 months at the end of it all. Gyms have tons of Legal mombojombo in tiny print that only a Lawyer with a Magnifying glass could understand. Sweat also used the " billing co. " line on me.

Another person who can't read contracts. Go here:
    Membership in Sweat Fitness: Spinning Classes Yoga Philadelphia Delaware County
    And what does is plainly say before you signup?!
    *60 day billing notice required at time of cancellation.

No legal mumbo jumbo. No fine print. People just like to lie to make themselves feel better about bad choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gone View Post
    I never heard a good story about a gym, I had to do battle with Sweat gym when I opted out of a Month to Month deal. They did rip me off for 2 months at the end of it all. Gyms have tons of Legal mombojombo in tiny print that only a Lawyer with a Magnifying glass could understand. Sweat also used the " billing co. " line on me.

Gone is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lucidinnature View Post
    Another person who can't read contracts. Go here:
    Membership in Sweat Fitness: Spinning Classes Yoga Philadelphia Delaware County
    And what does is plainly say before you signup?!
    *60 day billing notice required at time of cancellation.

No legal mumbo jumbo. No fine print. People just like to lie to make themselves feel better about bad choices.
    when they give you a "month to month," then tell you it takes 2.5 months to end it who is slinging the BS? The person behind the counter lied.

You are not telling the whole story. I know this because I dealt with the same thing at the same exact place.

First off-there's more than one owner, and they're all great people and not 'rip off artists'. This is how all gyms operate. Most outsource their billing dept. because of the headaches. You can not just call the gym and say 'I'm canceling'.

I'm always amazed at how people flippantly sign contracts without reading them. I sent a letter to the address on the contract, and my membership was cancelled. No mess, no fuss, and no billing past the term.
    LOL, I'm not telling the whole story? Dont be so sure or yourself pal. First off, I said AN owner not THE owner. Second of all my issue with him is how he all of a sudden became innocent when his billing company decided not to refund the money. Given how offended you sound you must in some way be affiliated with them. Additionally, a call was placed and I also confirmed in person. I feel that should be more than sufficient service.

See how bent you get with the simplest of interaction? Your retort is mere proof of your incorrect stance.

"First off", this gym membership has absolutely nothing to do with you, yet look how involved you are. It's more than a bit bizarre, and shows that you're the type of person who meddles in the business of others for a false assurance of worth on this earth.

You're complaining about someone else's membership, have filed complaints about them, etc. and IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU!!!! That makes you nuts, 'pal'.

The owners are innocent. They have a billing company that deals with that stuff. You know it, yet can't accept that. Once the billing company determined that no refund was necessary, that's it-end of story.

And as for you checking on someone else's gym membership status? Just plain creepy. Do you check your friends plate to make sure they ate their veggies, or their underwear to make sure they no go boom boom?!

I have nothing to do with Optimal, and merely find it amazing that some jackass such as yourself can yelp, complain, and demand city investigations over something that has nothing to do with you. Typical nonsense from a toolbag.
    LOL, I'm not telling the whole story? Dont be so sure or yourself pal. First off, I said AN owner not THE owner. Second of all my issue with him is how he all of a sudden became innocent when his billing company decided not to refund the money. Given how offended you sound you must in some way be affiliated with them. Additionally, a call was placed and I also confirmed in person. I feel that should be more than sufficient service.

Captain Awesome is offline Vote Quimby

Quote Originally Posted by Gone View Post
    I actually had an awesome experience with the Northeast Racquet and Fitness Center. My wife and I had to cancel our membership because we were saving $ to get married and needed to cut expenses wherever possible. We wrote them a letter, and the manager called me saying we could cancel without any problem, and if we wanted to come back after we got married, they'd waive the initiation fee.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    "Genius is the ability to say a profound thing in a simple way."
    -Charles Bukowski

See how bent you get with the simplest of interaction? Your retort is mere proof of your incorrect stance.

"First off", this gym membership has absolutely nothing to do with you, yet look how involved you are. It's more than a bit bizarre, and shows that you're the type of person who meddles in the business of others for a false assurance of worth on this earth.

You're complaining about someone else's membership, have filed complaints about them, etc. and IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU!!!! That makes you nuts, 'pal'.

The owners are innocent. They have a billing company that deals with that stuff. You know it, yet can't accept that. Once the billing company determined that no refund was necessary, that's it-end of story.

And as for you checking on someone else's gym membership status? Just plain creepy. Do you check your friends plate to make sure they ate their veggies, or their underwear to make sure they no go boom boom?!

I have nothing to do with Optimal, and merely find it amazing that some jackass such as yourself can yelp, complain, and demand city investigations over something that has nothing to do with you. Typical nonsense from a toolbag.
    I guess the internet is this guys shot at redemption from picked on for being a douche. What is has to do with me is it was my suggestion to go to this gym etc. What difference is it what the relationship is? friend cousin lover brother? who cares if I choose to get involved what difference does it make? Your point is a joke. The owners changing their stance is shady and dishonest. If you were first apologetic for something then realized you may have to put up and suddenly change your stance is a major issue here.

Oh Jeez, I may have to pony up, let me say its not my fault. Thats the joke. Along with you

Let me type this so your pretty pink ear can understand.

YOU HAVE NO CLAIM OR RIGHT TO COMPLAIN BECAUSE THIS ACCOUNT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU.

What's next? Are you going to call Amex and complain on my behalf for my account?

I guess the internet is this guys shot at redemption from picked on for being a douche. What is has to do with me is it was my suggestion to go to this gym etc. What difference is it what the relationship is? friend cousin lover brother? who cares if I choose to get involved what difference does it make? Your point is a joke. The owners changing their stance is shady and dishonest. If you were first apologetic for something then realized you may have to put up and suddenly change your stance is a major issue here.

Oh Jeez, I may have to pony up, let me say its not my fault. Thats the joke. Along with you

Julia1020 is offline Senior Member

Do you have a copy of what you (or your friend) actually signed when you enrolled your friend in the free 2-week trial? If so, double check that you followed all the rules for cancelling the trial. Unfortunately, there were probably some very specific hoops to jump through and you may have missed one of them. If so, your friend is probably out of luck. I almost had this problem with an alarm/security system...however, having been through this with many other services (and working for a law firm), I'm fanatical about reading the small print....This is a shame because your friend will likely be on the hook through the connection with you...so, I totally get that you're taking this on as the actual gym member...contrary to other posters on here, I applaud your getting involved on behalf of your friend...it's not like you just randomly took up arms on behalf of some stranger...I would do the exact same thing if it had been through me that someone was in the position. However, it may just be a case of lesson learned. While the contracts are likely legal, the devil is in the details. It's not exactly in the spirit of clear and obvious disclosure but take a look at the contract again...if you can find nothing indicating that you should have taken alternative action with regard to cancelling the service and are 100% sure you followed the rules, you can post on Yelp, you can submit a complaint with the BBB or you could hire a lawyer. However, for the relatively small amount of money involved, you may just have to kiss it good-bye.

Feloniousjoe is offline Senior Member

Here is the story

Why not have your friend ask the owner if he can use the gym for the months he paid for; assuming he was not active there during this time? It's not gonna cost the owner any money since the membership was paid and not used. Calling him a scammer and a fraud is no way to get a satisfactory result. Everyone wins when people compromise.

NickleDimer is offline Senior Member

typical gym contract requires 2 month written notice - best sent by certified mail.