Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ACME sold again

Jayfar is offline Junior Old Fart

Default ACME sold again

“Guys like you I would dispatch with my roofing axe.” -- BootsywannabeACretin

raider.adam is offline Senior Member

Oh noes! Private Equity!

billy ross is online now Senior Member

Are they somewhat local again? I like Lubert Adler.

MNG1324 is offline Senior Member
    Harrisburg/Center City weekend Condo owner

Sold? More like dumped because of debt. 100 million with the assumption of 3.2 billion in debt. With store closing to be announced by summer for all the chains involved.

luchobucho is online now Senior Member

think they'll close 10th and Reed?

MNG1324 is offline Senior Member
    Harrisburg/Center City weekend Condo owner

Probably not...the demograghics there are improving but i'm not sure when that store was last renovated which is also a factor.

luchobucho is online now Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MNG1324 View Post
    Probably not...the demograghics there are improving but i'm not sure when that store was last renovated which is also a factor.
    Actually they just painted and replaced all the dairy coolers. Not a huge improvement but notable nonetheless.

Better produce would go a long way in that store as would a better bakery and meat department. The deli is ok and the middle shelves are ok. Honestly I think the middle section isn't really defining in any grocery store, rather its the stuff on the perimeters that's where you make a difference.

Giavella Water is offline Senior Member

I think their store at 10th and Reed is one of their most profitable. Not surprising nice it's very walkable.

FrankStar is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by luchobucho View Post
    think they'll close 10th and Reed?
    I hope not. I've come to enjoy hearing the death throes of H. H. Holmes whilst perusing the frozen foods section.

Naveen is offline Senior Member

Well it can't be too much of a surprise. The fact that a PE firm showed up to buy it is just and indicator of how bad things had gotten.

I expect the 10th and Reed store to stick around. May eventually not be an "Acme", but as someone upthread said the area's demos are good.

The chain as a whole isn't the worst (ahem, Pathmark) but it's not great either. Mediocre selection and overpriced compared to Shop-Rite.

MarketStEl is offline Will Work for Food, But Prefers Cash
    East Germantown rocks! But watch your back.

Quote Originally Posted by MNG1324 View Post
    Most of the 10th and Reed Acme hasn't been touched since the store opened in the late 1970s on the site of the old Moyamensing Prison. The exception is the area that includes the produce section and service deli, which was added in the early 1990s after the State Store that had been in that space moved half a block up 11th.

By comparison, the Super Fresh at 10th and South got a total, top-to-bottom makeover last year after 24 years in business.

Most of the Acme stores I've seen look pretty tired in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Naveen View Post
    Well it can't be too much of a surprise. The fact that a PE firm showed up to buy it is just and indicator of how bad things had gotten.

I expect the 10th and Reed store to stick around. May eventually not be an "Acme", but as someone upthread said the area's demos are good.

The chain as a whole isn't the worst (ahem, Pathmark) but it's not great either. Mediocre selection and overpriced compared to Shop-Rite.
    I have a ShopRite, two Acmes and a Pathmark within reasonable travel distance of where I live. Even though they're siblings and about 85 percent of what the chains carry overlap, there is a difference between Pathmark and Super Fresh, to Pathmark's detriment. (However: Pathmark has long been a relatively bare-bones operation compared to its rivals. A&P's purchase of the chain put a halt to its own plans to upgrade its stores.)

That said, I much prefer shopping at Pathmark to shopping at Acme. It's far more price-competitive (as is SuperFresh relative to Acme), and the A&P-family store brand (America's Choice) is IMO the best private label line overall of any chain. ShopRite's is surprisingly hit-or-miss by comparison, but on all other counts, ShopRite beats the pants off its competitors.

(I won't go into the joys of shopping with the Russians here, for outside the upper Northeast, you can't do that in this city.)
    Sandy Smith, Wanderer in Germantown, Philadelphia
    Editor-in-Chief, Philly Living Blog - but all opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone.
    ""Jazz and blogging are both intimate, improvisational, and individual -- but also inherently collective. And the audience talks over both." --Andrew Sullivan, "Why I Blog," The Atlantic, November 2008

One more thing: I've heard rumors that A&P or parts of it may also be sold to a private equity firm, maybe even the one that just picked up much of Supervalu. After all, the Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company is in almost as bad shape as Supervalu.

In which case, we could be in for a major shakeup in the supermarket landscape in this region.
    Editor-in-Chief, Philly Living Blog - but all opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone.
    ""Jazz and blogging are both intimate, improvisational, and individual -- but also inherently collective. And the audience talks over both." --Andrew Sullivan, "Why I Blog," The Atlantic, November 2008

Geno is offline Moderator

Since returning to Philadelphia in late 2004 I have done the bulk of my super market shopping in Acme due to accidents of geography. I thought the one at Unruh and Oxford was a good store. I now frequent the one at Germantown and Sedgwick because its convenient, but its a raggedy store with a declining selection. Wouldn't mind somebody else taking over.

I should add one more link by way of suggesting that maybe you all might want to take my judgements with a grain of salt:

The 12 Worst Supermarkets in America | The Fiscal Times

Data in this report come from Consumer Reports' annual member survey.

Both Supervalu and A&P are well represented on this list: three Supervalu chains (11th-worst Acme, fifth-worst Jewel-Osco [Chicagoland] and third-worst Shaw's [New England]) and two of A&P's nameplates, including the flagship chain itself, are on this list.

A&P itself comes in at fourth-worst, and down there at the bottom is...Pathmark, beating out #2 Walmart.

However: Walmart's second-place showing should tell you something about what brings shoppers to a store. Walmart is now the nation's largest grocer as well as its largest retailer, and it's all because of price.* Consumer Reports readers gave Walmart low marks on both service and quality and mediocre marks on cleanliness, and a larger percentage of Walmart shoppers reported three or more issues with their store than did those shopping at any other chain. The chain got top marks for price, however, and the company continues to expand.

*The asterisk here is because in my own comparison shopping experience, I've come to realize that Walmart is not always - sometimes, not even often - the low price leader. But where it is the lowest, its prices are so far below the competition that you probably come out ahead overall in the end still. I'd still recommend comparing the circulars and weekly specials and playing each chain's loss leaders off one another's.

Quote Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
    ShopRite's is surprisingly hit-or-miss by comparison, but on all other counts, ShopRite beats the pants off its competitors.
    ShopRite is a sort of blend of coop and franchise, correct? I know the ShopRite's up here in the Northwest all seem to be owned by the "Brown family" (as they are always described). If they are independently owned, that could explain the hit-or-miss aspect of them.

PASnow is online now Senior Member

Acme fried chicken is the bomb!

Quote Originally Posted by Naveen View Post
    ShopRite is a sort of blend of coop and franchise, correct? I know the ShopRite's up here in the Northwest all seem to be owned by the "Brown family" (as they are always described). If they are independently owned, that could explain the hit-or-miss aspect of them.
    ShopRite is the trademark of Wakefern Food Corporation, a North Jersey-based wholesaler cooperatively owned by the independent supermarkets it supplies. The ShopRite of Oxford and Levick is owned by the Collins family, which also owns several other ShopRites.

The Wakefern cooperative originated in the 1930s as a means of allowing mom-and-pop grocers to compete more effectively with the big national chains (make that chain: namely, A&P, which inspired the same sort of fear and loathing Walmart does in our time).

The hit-or-miss aspect I'm referring to is the quality of the ShopRite-branded private label products, which all stores carry. For instance, ShopRite's spreadable smoked salmon cream cheese is IMO superior to Philadelphia Brand by far (same goes for Wegmans, btw), but ShopRite saltine crackers taste like sawdust.

And I have yet to find a private label refrigerated orange juice that is consistent in quality, so I usually buy the national brands in that category.

In terms of overall quality, America's Choice is the most consistent and IMO the highest among private labels I've bought. I don't know whether Supervalu's Essential Everyday line is an improvement over the Acme (whether supplied by Supervalu or Albertsons) label it replaced, but I will say that the loaf of Essential Everyday honey wheat bread I bought at the Hostess going-out-of-business sale was delicious. (Once again, folks, a number of national companies with Names You Know do a lot of business producing private label products for retailers. Among them: Heinz and Del Monte.)

There are other cooperative wholesalers similar to ShopRite. The company that supplies Thriftway and Shop n Bag*, Fleming Foods, is one, IIRC.

*Shop n Bag was the supermarket chain formed by Frankford Grocery Company, Inc., another wholesaler formed to supply independent grocers. The company's warehouse on Unity Street in Frankford still stands and is easy to spot from the El. You can still find here and there in this city small corner grocers bearing metal signs reading "Unity-Frankford Stores"; these were supplied by Frankford Grocery Company. Its private label products were also called Unity after the street it was located on.

RittenhouseGirl is offline Senior Member

I would just love Piggly Wiggly to move to Philly, just because I want to be able to say, "I'm going to Piggly Wiggly."

A note on ShopRite stores: I've yet to see one that's less than attractive and well laid out on the inside, though the one I shop at regularly has a trapezoidal footprint that takes a little getting used to. They all have great service departments. But there is one feature of most ShopRites that is unusual: their store shelves double as extensions of the stockroom. Look up on top of the shelves in the middle of the store next time you're in a ShopRite - you should see cardboard boxes there