Register
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    ScottBudman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Rittenhouse Square
    Posts
    295

    Default New Vet Hospital ?

    Did a new vet hospital open near Washington Ave and 2nd street ?

  2. #2
    qweezyq is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottBudman View Post
    Did a new vet hospital open near Washington Ave and 2nd street ?
    New one almost done construction a couple blocks south of Washinton on Front, next to Mekong River. Looks great

  3. #3
    qweezyq is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottBudman View Post
    Did a new vet hospital open near Washington Ave and 2nd street ?
    New one almost done construction a couple blocks south of Washington on Front, next to Mekong River. Looks great

  4. #4
    ScottBudman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Rittenhouse Square
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qweezyq View Post
    New one almost done construction a couple blocks south of Washington on Front, next to Mekong River. Looks great
    Thank you

  5. #5
    AsYouWere is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,378

    Default

    I hope Mekong River isn't a restaurant.

  6. #6
    dogoagogo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AsYouWere View Post
    I hope Mekong River isn't a restaurant.
    '

    You had to go there.

    VSEC is a much needed addition to our city's animal care facilities. Learn more, here's their site:

    Veterinary Specialty & Emergency Center ? 24-hour Emergency and Referral service for dogs and cats in Levittown, PA

    "Our Mission is to enhance the human-animal bond by providing our community of referring veterinarians and pet owners with exceptional specialty and emergency care.

    In 1994, Dr. Robert J. Orsher opened the doors to the Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Center (VSEC), a 24-hour multi-specialty referral and emergency hospital in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. His goal was to bring board-certified specialists from multiple disciplines under one roof to practice as a cohesive team.

    Veterinary specialists in cardiology, dermatology, diagnostic imaging, emergency & critical care, holistic medicine & acupuncture, internal medicine, neurology/neurosurgery, oncology, and surgery have joined together to actualize Dr. Orsher’s vision. VSEC offers leading-edge medicine while working closely with pet owners and their referring veterinarians to ensure the highest level of communication and care."

    ETA - I will be taking my hyperthyroid cat there for radiation treatment once they open. Plus another 24 hr. emergency vet in the city, on the opposite side of the city from Penn, will be very helpful.

  7. #7
    qweezyq is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    576

    Default

    Unfortunately we needed emergency surgery recently. Fortunately, VSEC was there to provide excellent care. Everyone there was knowledgeable, friendly, caring and helpful. The place is clean and top notch. We are lucky they were there to save our pup. I wish they did routine vet care as well. We are looking for a new vet if anyone has suggestions.

  8. #8
    Julia1020's Avatar
    Julia1020 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    N. Point Breeze
    Posts
    1,189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qweezyq View Post
    Unfortunately we needed emergency surgery recently. Fortunately, VSEC was there to provide excellent care. Everyone there was knowledgeable, friendly, caring and helpful. The place is clean and top notch. We are lucky they were there to save our pup. I wish they did routine vet care as well. We are looking for a new vet if anyone has suggestions.
    A friend recently recommended Companion Vet Hospital.

    http://www.companion-pets.com/

  9. #9
    kimlet is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    East Falls
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Julia1020 View Post
    A friend recently recommended Companion Vet Hospital.

    http://www.companion-pets.com/
    We just took our dog to Companion Pet for a second opinion and I can't say enough great things about them. The facility is really nice, the staff was great, the doctor was very compassionate and knowledgeable, and they send emails following the appointment summarizing everything that was discussed. I also got a follow up email asking if we had any additional questions. I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a vet.

  10. #10
    Alley's Avatar
    Alley is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kimlet View Post
    We just took our dog to Companion Pet for a second opinion and I can't say enough great things about them. The facility is really nice, the staff was great, the doctor was very compassionate and knowledgeable, and they send emails following the appointment summarizing everything that was discussed. I also got a follow up email asking if we had any additional questions. I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a vet.
    I completely agree about Companion Pet they are wonderful.

  11. #11
    Julia1020's Avatar
    Julia1020 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    N. Point Breeze
    Posts
    1,189

    Default

    Unfortunately, I recently heard a very disturbing story about the animal hospital at 2nd and Washington (is this the new VSEC?) from a neighbor of mine. His dog swallowed a tennis ball, and he took him there to see what they could do. They told him he'd need surgery and that it would cost about $2,800. He told them he'd get back in touch with them the next day so that he could raise the funds and also ask other vet centers how much the surgery would cost. He found another vet willing to do the surgery for about half the price and let him make payments. When he called back the next day to let them know he'd pick his dog up to have the surgery somewhere else, they told him that the dog had been put to sleep. I may not know the entire story (e.g., maybe it was more than a day or even several days) and have certainly not heard the other side of the story, but he was very distraught telling me about this. He's an older gentleman and this dog was greatly loved and well taken care of. I understand that veterinary care is VERY expensive, but he indicated that they did not get his consent to put the dog down or even ask him if he wanted to come in and be with the dog. The dog was only six and could have recovered very nicely from the surgery. A very unfortunate story all the way around. I certainly hope there is more to the story than what he told me....

  12. #12
    dogoagogo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    357

    Default

    If a dog swallows a whole tennis ball it can go bad quickly. Delaying care to shop around - over a period of what sounds like more than 12 hours - could easily cause the loss of life or a condition bad enough to make even operating impossible and the only solution to end the animals's suffering is the saddest one.

    I'm wondering if you got the whole story here. Delaying care in a situation like that is pretty scary. If your appendix burst, would you travel to different hospitals, looking for the lowest bidder?

  13. #13
    Julia1020's Avatar
    Julia1020 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    N. Point Breeze
    Posts
    1,189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dogoagogo View Post
    If a dog swallows a whole tennis ball it can go bad quickly. Delaying care to shop around - over a period of what sounds like more than 12 hours - could easily cause the loss of life or a condition bad enough to make even operating impossible and the only solution to end the animals's suffering is the saddest one.

    I'm wondering if you got the whole story here. Delaying care in a situation like that is pretty scary. If your appendix burst, would you travel to different hospitals, looking for the lowest bidder?
    Yeah, I know...I'm not sure if it was a whole tennis ball, but I was thinking the same thing. If the dog were in pain for that long putting him down would have been the most humane if he could not have afforded the surgery. But, they should have contacted him as they knew he was going to try to find a place more affordable. The guy is incredible devoted to his dog and was crying when telling the story...it was a sweet boxer type that was very well-trained...I can't imagine for a second that had the dog been in that kind of pain the owner would have taken so long to find another place...it sounds like miscommunication all the way around but a total waste. Had I known I would have easily fronted him the money for immediate surgery. Damn.

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2