Register
+ Reply to Thread
    Cya
    Cya is online now Don't get me started

Default Red Eared Slider Turtle- Free to Good Home

I've had a turtle that my daughter brought home for about a year now. He's a good sized turtle- I'd say his shell is about 8-9" long. He's been "domesticated" for a long time-- in a tank for years.
    I really hate to give him away since he's become my buddy. He likes to get out and walk around and climb on stuff. But I really can't give him the care and attention he should have anymore.
    Is there anyone out there who could give him a good home? (I'll deliver ) Would a pet store take him?
    My friend wants to let him loose in a pond near his home that has other turtles. I don't really want to do that since I think he's been in a tank/home environment for so long, I worry if he would survive.
    Any suggestions?

stonefly is offline Plecoptera

Do not release the turtle in a local pond. Red eared sliders are invasive and should never be released in the wild in our area.

http://seagrant.psu.edu/research/Dis...er%20Basin.pdf

Cya

Great. Thanks for the link. After reading through the materials, I guess it doesn't matter if red-eared sliders are released in PA or NJ? The effects are the same, I suppose. I'm disappointed.
    The materials talk of "public education" about releasing the turtles in the wild.. but give no alternatives.
    I feel bad. This wasn't a pet I went and bought. It appeared in my daughter's room one day, and I've been left to care for him. He's really a cool turtle.. kind of has his own personality.

stonefly is offline Plecoptera

They're not native to NJ either. Their native range is the Mississippi Valley up to IL. The reason they don't give an alternative to releasing is that there really isn't an alternative other than to euthanize the turtle.

It stinks that you are stuck with the turtle. You could go to the Smokies this summer in TN and let him go there.

Invasion Biology Introduced Species Summary Project - Columbia University

peahen is offline Peabrain

Could you put him on Craigslist under the free section? I have a gecko and I've read about other gecko enthusiasts picking up "rescues" from CL. I guess you can't guarantee that the person who picks him up will qualify as a good home, though...

BluegrassCat is offline Senior Member

I've always wanted a turtle. How old is he again? what is their typical life span? would you include the setup you currently have for him? My wife is gonna kill me....

Burholme06 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by stonefly View Post
    They're not native to NJ either. Their native range is the Mississippi Valley up to IL. The reason they don't give an alternative to releasing is that there really isn't an alternative other than to euthanize the turtle.

It stinks that you are stuck with the turtle. You could go to the Smokies this summer in TN and let him go there.

Invasion Biology Introduced Species Summary Project - Columbia University
    Wow, I never would have guessed that a turtle could be invasive. Interesting information.

LUCas is offline Senior Member

I've never had a turtle slider (beef slider, pork slider, even seared tuna slider), but sounds interesting. I'll take him

desolate is offline Double spaced

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassCat View Post
    I've always wanted a turtle. How old is he again? what is their typical life span? would you include the setup you currently have for him? My wife is gonna kill me....
    Up to 40.

Need triple the water filtering of a fishtank

Usually the size of a small kids pool or very large tub. UV lighting. Heat lighting of some kind.

Eats a variety. Mostly plant material, store food (stick) and live stuff like goldfish/crickets.
    I'm not seeing all these supposed bikes in all these million dollar bike lanes.

Cya

Quote Originally Posted by desolate View Post
    Up to 40.

Need triple the water filtering of a fishtank

Usually the size of a small kids pool or very large tub. UV lighting. Heat lighting of some kind.

Eats a variety. Mostly plant material, store food (stick) and live stuff like goldfish/crickets.
    Exactly. Right now, he's in a 55Gal. tank with a filter system that holds 2 charcoal filters and a heat lamp overhead.
    If I find a home for him, I will include the tank and whatever else I have for him.
    I guess he's about 10yrs old? I'm not sure.
    Anyone taking a turtle needs to be prepared for upkeep of the tank. It's like a fish tank.

desolate is offline Double spaced

It's still much easier than a cat or a dog.

and unlike a fish, it does seem to know you, and you can pick it up and you can let it wander around your house if you so choose.

I usually go about a week before I dump half the water.

I also don't feed the turtle in the tank...becuase then it well...fouls the tank pretty soon afterwards.

I just use a big plastic tub. and a smaller one to feed.

I have one cannister filter I change around once a month.

I go by "smell" as my directive.

It sounds bad but it's still easier than a salt water tank, or higher animals like a dog.

I can and have left my turtle for at least a week with no problems.

Key things are clean water and a place for the turtle to dry off and get some heat/UV.
    I'm not seeing all these supposed bikes in all these million dollar bike lanes.

Dolemite is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by desolate View Post
    It's still much easier than a cat or a dog.
    Sounds like you need another turtle

You know for your turtle to get some action or at least have a turtle buddy.

arjay is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    Sounds like you need another turtle

You know for your turtle to get some action or at least have a turtle buddy.
    That's not a bad idea... or else, here may be the alternative:

\YouTube - turtle does a shoe

Dolemite is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by arjay View Post
    That's not a bad idea... or else, here may be the alternative:

\YouTube - turtle does a shoe

My wife went to school in South America and they had 2 Galapagos Turtles on campus and she said they spent most of their time humping.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    My wife went to school in South America and they had 2 Galapagos Turtles on campus and she said they spent most of their time humping.
    Same deal with the Galapagos tortoises at the Philadelphia Zoo. Every time I've been there, they're goin' at it.

jdcurtis is offline Junior Member

i will take it i have a girl turle so he will have somebody to stay with if you will mail it to me