Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    uly55es1 is offline “anobium punctatum.”

Default 25 most dangerous schools in Pa. are all in Philly

But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel. 1 Timothy 5:8 Translations

NJbound is offline Guest

sad...

Smicker is offline Junior Member

Default not suprising

so is that like every high school in Philadelphia?

MuscleHead is offline Paulista

I'm surprised to see my alma mater, NE High School on the list, even though it has been in the news several times this year. When I attended NE it seems like the worse thing ever done by the students was smoking in the restrooms. How things have changed.

If we can't get our schools under some semblance of control why should anyone with kids even consider living in Philly?

NJbound is offline Guest

notice NO charter schools or Catholic schools

Quote Originally Posted by Smicker View Post
    so is that like every high school in Philadelphia?

OldMama is offline Senior Member

And no public magnets either.

Let's be real- charters, parochials, and magnets can throw kids out. The kids are not there to commit violent assaults over and over. The comprehensive high schools get them and the only way they can get rid of them is to try for alternative placement. That's not easy because the kids get to appeal and get a hearing, and sometimes even win. Plus there aren't enough alternative placements for every violent high school student.

This is indeed sad, for the teachers and for the good kids in those schools.

Queen Villager is offline Senior Member

1. Wasn't the list meant to include only public schools?

2. Doesn't this counter the argument that private/parochial schools will help public schools be more competitive?

I imagine that, in the neighborhoods zoned for these schools, well-functioning families that place a high priority on education are finding a way to send their children to private, parochial or desirable charter schools, or are leaving Philadelphia for suburbs with good public schools. That leaves these schools to try to educate children from highly dysfunctional families or those without the ability to find more desirable schools or those not focused on education.

I do not mean to criticize teachers in these schools, and don't know the chicken and egg of the situation. It just seems that many families in this city are sending children to schools other than the neighborhood school, especially for high school, and it doesn't seem to be helping those public schools.

cerberus413 is offline Banned

My mother is a public grade school teacher and I am not surprised....The kids she deals with are the most undisciplined SOB's around. She has been accosted multiple times over the years but still keeps going back.

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleHead View Post
    If we can't get our schools under some semblance of control why should anyone with kids even consider living in Philly?
    We wont be.

caL
    caL is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by cerberus413 View Post
    We wont be.
    Catholic schools?

Quote Originally Posted by caL View Post
    Catholic schools?

Meaning we wont have our children going to any Philadelphia school.....Catholic or otherwise.

Malloy is offline Administrator

Meaning we wont have our children going to any Philadelphia school.....Catholic or otherwise.
    Whats wrong with Philly Catholic or charter schools?

Reberson is offline Senior Member

One of the schools listed in the top 25, Roxborough High School, is located in a neighborhood that has the lowest crime rate in the city. Wonder where the kids that go to Roxborough are from? Definently NOT a "neighborhood school" as it was some years ago. It really is a shame because if you live in Roxborough you cannot send you children to the local high school. Hardly seems fair.

Malloy is offline Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Reberson View Post
    One of the schools listed in the top 25, Roxborough High School, is located in a neighborhood that has the lowest crime rate in the city. Wonder where the kids that go to Roxborough are from? Definently NOT a "neighborhood school" as it was some years ago. It really is a shame because if you live in Roxborough you cannot send you children to the local high school. Hardly seems fair.
    My cousin teaches there. Her prev 2 jobs were at schools on this list. She lives 4 blocks away on a great street in a great part of nice Rox. (which is a nice neighborhood all in all) It was her goal to find a job close to home...and she knew that Rox High was pretty rough. Well, it surpassed any expectations she had before going there. The place is BAD and most locals avoid it.

All of her neighbors have kids...and they do not attend Rox high. They would, if it wasn't such a cesspool. I'm shocked at the stories she tells me...that place is getting worse by the day.

JackStraw is offline Senior Member

It doesn't matter where the school is as long as the Philadelphia School District continues to pollute these schools. It's their refusal to do anything about punishing students who break school rules that is leading to the entire system failing. Teachers report incidents daily, but it's the administration that ignores them and lies to the public about how violence is going down (while they remove the School Safety Advocate office which counters these claims). Storm 440 and demand the administration start implementing true safety changes or heads will roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
    Whats wrong with Philly Catholic or charter schools?
    Nothing is wrong with them.....but I dont want my kids having to deal with all the BS of the city.

With Catholic school I have to pay my city taxes which pay for public education and pay tuition ontop of that.....total BS.

caL
    caL is offline Senior Member

Nothing is wrong with them.....but I dont want my kids having to deal with all the BS of the city.

With Catholic school I have to pay my city taxes which pay for public education and pay tuition ontop of that.....total BS.
    Those loud neighbors still bein a pain in the ass?

OldMama is offline Senior Member

The magnet schools are what made Roxborough what it is today. Even 10 years ago, neighborhood people sent their kids to Roxborough High in greater numbers. Kids that were accepted to Central or Girls High often went to Roxborough anyway. Now more and more children from the area go to magnet schools. I know that at Dobson and Shawmont the majority of the eighth graders are going to magnets this year. I don't know about Cook-Wiss or Levering. The Mifflin students do go to Roxborough.

I have worked at most of the Rox/Mana/EF schools at one time or another. I've also worked at Rox.HS. Very few kids from the local elementaries (except Mifflin) are there. It's kind of a vicious cycle. Once area kids choose to go to magnets, that leaves space at Roxborough, which is then filled by non-neighborhood kids.

So, basically, Rox HS is a victim of the local elementary schools' success in getting students admitted to magnet high schools. It's a good news/bad news situation. I don't know if there is a solution. The magnets are so attractive, it's hard to say no. I didn't.

ArcticSplash is offline Dixie Normus

FWIW, Philadelphia elementary schools are mostly OK.

The uber-liberalism that SRC+Administrators practice just isn't compatible with hormone-ranging 6th-12th graders. You can't argue with chemistry.

The kids turn to thugs by the 6th grade. Funny how the SRC has never seemed to figure this out and work on reform based on that knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by caL View Post
    Those loud neighbors still bein a pain in the ass?
    Oh no they are much better now.