Register
+ Reply to Thread
    It'sJessMe is offline Senior Member

Default Good place to get glasses for kids?

My 9 year old needs glasses. Where is a good place - good selection for boys, will be patient as he tries them on, preferably not ridiculously expensive, decent warranty. We don't need the exam, got that taken care of, just the glasses. We're in Queen Village so Center City or nearby preferred. Thanks.

ShoshTrvls is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by It'sJessMe View Post
    My 9 year old needs glasses. Where is a good place - good selection for boys, will be patient as he tries them on, preferably not ridiculously expensive, decent warranty. We don't need the exam, got that taken care of, just the glasses. We're in Queen Village so Center City or nearby preferred. Thanks.
    I take Ellery to America's Best on Walnut. They're cheap, have a decent selection (and you know Els -- she's a fashion plate<g>) and a fairly inexpensive warranty/replacement insurance option.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoshTrvls View Post
    I take Ellery to America's Best on Walnut. They're cheap, have a decent selection (and you know Els -- she's a fashion plate<g>) and a fairly inexpensive warranty/replacement insurance option.
    Thanks. I got a referral to Snyders too, right near there. It's a family owned, 3rd generation place....probably better service but smaller selection and more expensive? This is all really new to me and I don't know how to balance it all!

lucidinnature is offline Banned

America's Best does the most comprehensive eye exam I've gotten anywhere. I also love their glasses. I've gone there for myself, and took a disadvantaged person there to get an exam and glasses, and they treated them so well that I can only give them praise.

ShoshTrvls is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lucidinnature View Post
    America's Best does the most comprehensive eye exam I've gotten anywhere. I also love their glasses. I've gone there for myself, and took a disadvantaged person there to get an exam and glasses, and they treated them so well that I can only give them praise.
    They really are great. Glad to hear that they treated S.. well, although it doesn't surprise me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoshTrvls View Post
    They really are great. Glad to hear that they treated S.. well, although it doesn't surprise me at all.
    Their Yelp reviews are pretty bad, but I liked them on the phone today, more than a place with much higher Yelp ratings. Their selection seems good too. If I can move a meeting I'll try to take him today.

Ok we went, it was very nice. I liked the guy who helped us and I'm glad we went to a place with such a large selection. It was pretty busy so things took a while but the service was good, selection and price were right. I don't love the pair he chose, but they're his glasses. (I told him the wire rim frames made him look smart and he said "that's what I'm trying to avoid, I don't want to look like a nerd". Instead he went with heavy dark plastic frames. Far nerdier. In my non-third-grader (and therefore irrelevant) opinion).

citykid is offline Senior Member

The thing we found most important with our son--who is now 15 and has worn glasses since he was 8--is to try to find a place that you go to consistently and where they will get to know you and you son as regulars. Kids lose or break or just twist eyeglasses with some regularity and it is extremely helpful (and cost-saving) to have a place where your kid is known and has a relationship as a significant customer. We have always gone to Pearle Vision on Walnut Street, and they go above and beyond to help my son out because they have known him for so long--replacing lost lenses and broken glasses free of charge, giving extra help when he was first starting out on contact lenses, etc. Really nice people and very helpful, with a good selection of frames.

Quote Originally Posted by citykid View Post
    The thing we found most important with our son--who is now 15 and has worn glasses since he was 8--is to try to find a place that you go to consistently and where they will get to know you and you son as regulars. Kids lose or break or just twist eyeglasses with some regularity and it is extremely helpful (and cost-saving) to have a place where your kid is known and has a relationship as a significant customer. We have always gone to Pearle Vision on Walnut Street, and they go above and beyond to help my son out because they have known him for so long--replacing lost lenses and broken glasses free of charge, giving extra help when he was first starting out on contact lenses, etc. Really nice people and very helpful, with a good selection of frames.
    good advice, thanks.