Register
+ Reply to Thread
    teabag is offline Junior Member

Default Hearing back from magnet schools

I've sent an application in to GAMP for my son to attend the 5th grade there. I'm wondering when I might hear back from the school about his acceptance or rejection. Anyone know?

OldMama is offline Senior Member

Not before March or April if previous years are any indication.

citykid is offline Senior Member

GAMP requires an audition, which is usually held in late December or early January. They don't give much notice, so you should hear about whether your kid got an audition by early to mid-December. They are not terribly organized, so if your kid is not applying from a Philadelphia public school (in which case, GAMP notifies the guidance counselors about which kids got auditions) you might want to give GAMP's office a call in early December. After the audition, as OldMama stated, the final decision does not come until March or April.
    Good luck!

fifi le pew is offline Senior Member

They extended the transfer program til the end of November. I received an e-mail telling me of the extension (until Nov. 30th) and also stating that they hoped to make decisions much earlier this year. I believe the e-mail mentioned January, 2013. BUT, given my 6 years of dealing with the SDP, I would give that very little weight!

annie is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by fifi le pew View Post
    They extended the transfer program til the end of November. I received an e-mail telling me of the extension (until Nov. 30th) and also stating that they hoped to make decisions much earlier this year. I believe the e-mail mentioned January, 2013. BUT, given my 6 years of dealing with the SDP, I would give that very little weight!
    Since they're not planning on announcing schools for closure until December now (originally the transfer deadline was extended specifically so they could announce before the deadline), I wouldn't give it any weight at all. It's going to be a mess.

nana is offline Junior Member

I am confused. The principal at GAMP as well as the handout said that the audition could only help you. What does that mean?

Dolemite is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by nana View Post
    I am confused. The principal at GAMP as well as the handout said that the audition could only help you. What does that mean?
    I think they are saying they take people without musical talent though if it helps that you have musical talent to get in then it obviously hurts if you don't.