Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    bluecuracao is offline Senior Member

Default Shooting at Red Zone on 2nd Street

The shooting occurred halfway down the block around 35 S. 2nd Street, not at 2nd and Market as the news video says.

Police Investigate Shooting In Old City « CBS Philly

It also says there was no report of an arrest, but there definitely was one. I watched as police flooded into the Parkway parking lot across the street from Red Zone, chasing a guy down. He was smacked several times with a baton and put into a police van.

The lights were on all night at Red Zone, which was surrounded by police and crime scene tape most of the night. I doubt this is a surprise to anyone in the neighborhood; being that Red Zone is a sh!t hole.

This brawl started there in late 2011.

Olde City Fight 10/16/2011 - YouTube

ScottBudman is offline Senior Member

Is it still a sports bar or did it turn into a typical Old City lounge ? Friday night after my dinner at Fork I walked by Fire and Ice on the 300 block of Market street and what a d-bag place that is.

lucidinnature is offline Banned

It amazes me to no end. Seriously, what does a jackass think the end game will be in this scenario? That they'll just walk away and brush it off tomorrow? F'n idiots.

mixiboi is offline Philly Remixed

Old City club brawl caught on video | 6abc.com

"Of Camden" explains it all....
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Consultant. Twitter: @Sdlaugh

Malloy is offline Administrator

Someone got shanked this weekend too.
    Like PS on Facebook!

torts is offline Senior Member

Man charged in Old City brawl was arrested on gun charges in May

lol

"let's keep releasing him until he kills someone."

ArcticSplash is offline Dixie Normus

Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator

There are days I am sad the Maya were wrong.
    I am not the Jackass Whisperer.

Jayfar is offline Junior Old Fart

After viewing the entire video I think the proper response by the police would have involved napalm.
    “Guys like you I would dispatch with my roofing axe.” -- BootsywannabeACretin

EJW
    EJW is offline Senior Member

some guy had at least a few balls to sock a dude pointing a gun at him. wow.

solution: old city bars starting playing golden oldies instead of hiphop

y.lama is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by EJW View Post
    old city bars starting playing golden oldies instead of hiphop
    How DO you improve Old City, definitely a million dollar question

I'd like to see more development in Old City, not saying hi-rise just anything that will increase the population and change the bar to resident ratio. Right now the ratio is so high that they are so strongly depending on the weekend out of town clientele, I know this is how it goes in the city but it seems even more so in Old City. I'd really like to see some of those 2nd street parking lots developed to decrease the amount of parking for the weekend night out of towners. Yes, this would make parking tougher for those heading to Amada or Fork but I think something could be worked out, and they may prefer the results.

Also, the fact that there are that many bars in a 1 block radius is always going to create problems, not sure what you can do here. It's so weird that there current rules promote so many bars below market and none above. I am a big city guy, my end goal would not be to make Old City a quiet boring place, but the fact that a neighborhood in that location with that history is the way it is on the weekends, and avoided/talked bad about by so many people is really crazy (i know it used to be worse in a different way, but this is 2013, cities have changed).

How you would do it is the question, it's always so tough to do things by adding restrictions, I'd like to see the city and the OCCA promote change in smart ways. IMO that's what seems to be happening on E'Punk, with the association improving properties.

BarryG is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by y.lama View Post
    How DO you improve Old City, definitely a million dollar question

I'd like to see more development in Old City, not saying hi-rise just anything that will increase the population and change the bar to resident ratio. Right now the ratio is so high that they are so strongly depending on the weekend out of town clientele, I know this is how it goes in the city but it seems even more so in Old City. I'd really like to see some of those 2nd street parking lots developed to decrease the amount of parking for the weekend night out of towners. Yes, this would make parking tougher for those heading to Amada or Fork but I think something could be worked out, and they may prefer the results.

Also, the fact that there are that many bars in a 1 block radius is always going to create problems, not sure what you can do here. It's so weird that there current rules promote so many bars below market and none above. I am a big city guy, my end goal would not be to make Old City a quiet boring place, but the fact that a neighborhood in that location with that history is the way it is on the weekends, and avoided/talked bad about by so many people is really crazy (i know it used to be worse in a different way, but this is 2013, cities have changed).

How you would do it is the question, it's always so tough to do things by adding restrictions, I'd like to see the city and the OCCA promote change in smart ways. IMO that's what seems to be happening on E'Punk, with the association improving properties.
    Passyunk Ave Revitalization Corp has been adding bars, restaurants and parking.... doesn't seem to be the same thing you want for Old City.

John Goodman is online now Senior Member

Ways to improve old city:

Allow more nightclubs on columbus blvrd

Increase resident density

Expand xfinity live

Close ben franklin bridge

Dayman is offline Champion of the Sun

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodman View Post
    Ways to improve old city:

Allow more nightclubs on columbus blvrd

Increase resident density

Expand xfinity live

Close ben franklin bridge
    Ban sales of Budweiser, Miller, Coors, and all other forms of light lager, table wine, and any non mid or top shelf liquor
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Paine
    “The World is my country, all Mankind are my brethren, and to do Good is my religion.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dayman View Post
    Ban sales of Budweiser, Miller, Coors, and all other forms of light lager, table wine, and any non mid or top shelf liquor
    Ummmm... all of my uppity friends drink bud, and they're about the quietest, most stable people in any bar room. I will only drink swill because I enjoy battery acid, but certainly don't cause problems in bars.

"Top shelf" people in old city are exactly the types that cause problems. The ones who sit there ordering one belvedere to sip all night, while demanding 30 cherries to suck all night long as if they're in some damn stupid tyler perry movie.

Quote Originally Posted by lucidinnature View Post
    Ummmm... all of my uppity friends drink bud, and they're about the quietest, most stable people in any bar room. I will only drink swill because I enjoy battery acid, but certainly don't cause problems in bars.

"Top shelf" people in old city are exactly the types that cause problems. The ones who sit there ordering one belvedere to sip all night, while demanding 30 cherries to suck all night long as if they're in some damn stupid tyler perry movie.
    I also love a bud, even though I sometimes drink (other) belgians.

Last time I was in old city on a weekend was a first Friday, we stuck around til after the point where the scene changed, you're right a lot of people dressed to look really important, probably taking themselves too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryG View Post
    Passyunk Ave Revitalization Corp has been adding bars, restaurants and parking.... doesn't seem to be the same thing you want for Old City.
    I was mostly talking about how they are being proactive in promoting smart uses for their neighborhood. Old city is a different situation with very good public transit, and maybe too many places that are much more bar than restaurant. So maybe my argument is apples and oranges, idk

mixiboi is offline Philly Remixed

Quote Originally Posted by EJW View Post
    solution: old city bars starting playing golden oldies instead of hiphop
    Yes because Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, The Beatles, The Beach Boys, The Supremes, The Four Seasons, and Sam Cooke music never was connected to violence...

Last time I was in old city on a weekend was a first Friday, we stuck around til after the point where the scene changed, you're right a lot of people dressed to look really important, probably taking themselves too seriously.
    Since the 1920s(and probably before then) because people have ALWAYS want to look really important
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Consultant. Twitter: @Sdlaugh

Quote Originally Posted by mixiboi View Post
    Yes because Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, The Beatles, The Beach Boys, The Supremes, The Four Seasons, and Sam Cooke music never was connected to violence...

Since the 1920s(and probably before then) because people have ALWAYS want to look really important
    i don't care what people wear. I was just trying to agree with the previous point that you can't connect bad behavior with attire.

I also love a bud, even though I sometimes drink (other) belgians.

Yeah, the self important ones are generally the ones who will cause problems.

A few months ago, I watched the belvedere thing in two different bars. A few guys walk in, and 1/2 of them order belvedere. They begin to share with the ones who didn't order anything. Dead serious-it was like high school kids who had to be seen with a drink in their hands. They're sipping ever so slowly, asking the bartender for more ice, some cherries for their drink, more cherries, more ice. Finally, the bartender put up a pint glass of ice and a shot glass of cherries to appease them. One ridiculous **** show-and of course the idiots didn't leave a penny for a tip, all while my friend and I went under served and ended up going somewhere else.