Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 221
  1. #1
    eldondre is online now Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    20,532

    Default Ritz 5 to be modernized as part of 14 story tower

    pretty interesting proposal though the usual antidevelopment folks already seem to be uniting, wanting to save the POS building. given the state of the theater industry, incorporating theaters as part of profitable urban developments is an interesting approach and, I think, to be applauded.
    Ritz Five could be replaced with a fancier theater with more screens - and multiple stories of apartments on top | PlanPhilly: Planning Philadelphia's Future
    Last edited by eldondre; 12-03-2012 at 11:10 AM.
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

  2. #2
    Naveen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    East Falls
    Posts
    1,750

    Default

    14 story apartment building on top of the new theater? I don't know man, what about the shadows???

  3. #3
    ShoshTrvls's Avatar
    ShoshTrvls is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Queen Village
    Posts
    3,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Naveen View Post
    14 story apartment building on top of the new theater? I don't know man, what about the shadows???
    You mean the ones that already hang over the area thanks to the Society Hill Towers?

  4. #4
    ScottBudman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Rittenhouse Square
    Posts
    295

    Default

    It's not even a proposal at this time, it's an idea.

    Maybe you need to read it again.
    "The height talked about at the committee meeting would impact views from Society Hill Towers the North Tower is just across the street - but there would be no effect on light or air circulation"

  5. #5
    mixiboi's Avatar
    mixiboi is online now Philly Remixed
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawncrest
    Posts
    9,670

    Default

    Its not even the shadows that worry them, but also a liquor license...the horror

    Mosaic told the committee the existing Ritz building might be torn down. The new theater facility could be modernized and expanded, with the screens at the Bourse location relocated to Society Hill, bringing the number there to eight, said Zoning and Historic Preservation Committee Chairwoman Lorna Katz Lawson.

    The rooms housing each screen would be smaller, but “with comfy chairs and alcoholic beverages served by waitresses. You could rent theaters for private showings, parties, whatever,” Katz Lawson said. Committee members were not thrilled by the idea of another liquor license in the neighborhood, she said.

    Interesting note in that quote is that it would cut the Ritz locations from 3 to 2....With the Bourse location closing when this new one opens...Since it will have new 8 screens.
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Consultant. Twitter: @Sdlaugh

  6. #6
    thoth's Avatar
    thoth is offline I LOOK LIKE THIS
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cedar Park
    Posts
    4,538

    Default

    I can't believe Lawson is upset that brick ****box could get torn down. Who cares?

    Luckily, with Mosaic Partners at the helm, I doubt she has anything to worry about. These dudes are politically connected crooks, and unless RACP money materializes for "economic development" in one of the city's most economically developed neighborhoods, I doubt this is going anywhere.

  7. #7
    Naveen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    East Falls
    Posts
    1,750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShoshTrvls View Post
    You mean the ones that already hang over the area thanks to the Society Hill Towers?
    Exactly my point. The existing SHT shadows have been there for long enough to be considered historic shadows, IMO. They don't need more shadows over top of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by thoth View Post
    I can't believe Lawson is upset that brick ****box could get torn down. Who cares?
    Seriously though, it's mind-boggling how anyone could look at that bleak, oh-so 1970's one-story rectangle and get sentimental about its historicity. Perhaps it is a good example of the modernist influence on Philadelphia architecture during that period. If so, it definitely needs to be razed.

  8. #8
    bluecuracao is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Old City
    Posts
    1,136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mixiboi View Post
    Its not even the shadows that worry them, but also a liquor license...the horror
    Society Hill has a close-up view of what happens when liquor licenses end up in the wrong hands--2nd and Chestnut is only a block away from this site. Of course they are worried.

    I'm not super-attached to the buildings on Dock Street, but I like the low scale. A tall building there would look weird. Also, they would be shooting themselves in the foot if they made the theaters smaller than they already are.

    IMO, it's fine as it is...why mess with it. Build a new 14-story building in one of the city's many vacant lots instead.

  9. #9
    lucidinnature is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Duh.
    Posts
    2,373

    Default

    You do realize that it is only feet away from two very tall buildings?

    This reminds me of when residents of Society Hill Towers complained that any building in the big will smith hole could cast a shadow on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluecuracao View Post
    Society Hill has a close-up view of what happens when liquor licenses end up in the wrong hands--2nd and Chestnut is only a block away from this site. Of course they are worried.

    I'm not super-attached to the buildings on Dock Street, but I like the low scale. A tall building there would look weird. Also, they would be shooting themselves in the foot if they made the theaters smaller than they already are.

    IMO, it's fine as it is...why mess with it. Build a new 14-story building in one of the city's many vacant lots instead.

  10. #10
    supersupper's Avatar
    supersupper is offline Appetizer
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    OC
    Posts
    2,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluecuracao View Post
    Society Hill has a close-up view of what happens when liquor licenses end up in the wrong hands--2nd and Chestnut is only a block away from this site. Of course they are worried.

    I'm not super-attached to the buildings on Dock Street, but I like the low scale. A tall building there would look weird. Also, they would be shooting themselves in the foot if they made the theaters smaller than they already are.

    IMO, it's fine as it is...why mess with it. Build a new 14-story building in one of the city's many vacant lots instead.
    I for one would not like smaller theaters either, and its nice that there are three different places to go for a Ritz movie- each is a different experience. I don't mind the buildings either- they are certainly much nicer than most movie theater built since then.

    Why there is a need to serve drinks to movie watchers in a theatre seems a little weird to me. I do like the idea that maybe the whole area can be utilized a little more by people than cars, so thats a plus in my mind. I can certainly understand why the moneymen think there is money to be made with a 14 story live space above. It might look a little out of place, but then again if done right it might fit in just fine.

    This whole project sounds like a copycat idea of the Nitehawk Cinema in Brooklyn. That took a looooooong time to get going, and it changed ownership a number of times in the process. I have no idea how successful it is or isn't.
    Last edited by supersupper; 12-03-2012 at 07:08 PM.
    SooooooooooooooooPER ........................ SL O WD O WN

  11. #11
    supersupper's Avatar
    supersupper is offline Appetizer
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    OC
    Posts
    2,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lucidinnature View Post
    This reminds me of when residents of Society Hill Towers complained that any building in the big will smith hole could cast a shadow on them.

    I'm not sure that would even be possible for a building on the Wills smith site to even cast shadows on the SHT unless it was a super tall skyscraper of some sorts.

    You made that up. Like much mumbojumbo crap anti-nimby trolls make up.
    SooooooooooooooooPER ........................ SL O WD O WN

  12. #12
    lucidinnature is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Duh.
    Posts
    2,373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supersupper View Post
    I'm not sure that would even be possible for a building on the Wills smith site to even cast shadows on the SHT unless it was a super tall skyscraper of some sorts.

    You made that up. Like much mumbojumbo crap anti-nimby trolls make up.
    Nope, didn't make it up. In addition, during those meetings, a person about 5 blocks away said that they would somehow be affected by the shadows.

  13. #13
    bluecuracao is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Old City
    Posts
    1,136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lucidinnature View Post
    You do realize that it is only feet away from two very tall buildings?

    This reminds me of when residents of Society Hill Towers complained that any building in the big will smith hole could cast a shadow on them.
    I am familiar with the area around there, and I like the way Dock Street by the theater looks as it is. Right now it feels wide open with lots of light, despite the seeming proximity of Society Hill Towers which are a block away. A 14-story building on the Ritz 5 spot would change that environment, because it would sit directly on the west end and visually close it off.

  14. #14
    lucidinnature is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Duh.
    Posts
    2,373

    Default

    History repeating itself so quickly... This is part of the nonsense when stamper square wanted to be 15 stories...
    Skyline Online: Amnesia Sweeps Society Hill

  15. #15
    lucidinnature is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Duh.
    Posts
    2,373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supersupper View Post
    You made that up. Like much mumbojumbo crap anti-nimby trolls make up.
    Oh, BTW supersupper... Harry K. Schwartz? He lives in society hill towers. Maybe you should check before saying I make stuff up.

  16. #16
    eldondre is online now Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    20,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluecuracao View Post
    I am familiar with the area around there, and I like the way Dock Street by the theater looks as it is. Right now it feels wide open with lots of light, despite the seeming proximity of Society Hill Towers which are a block away. A 14-story building on the Ritz 5 spot would change that environment, because it would sit directly on the west end and visually close it off.
    so you oppose it because it would change the environment? "visually close it off"
    Quote Originally Posted by supersupper View Post
    I for one would not like smaller theaters either, and its nice that there are three different places to go for a Ritz movie- each is a different experience. I don't mind the buildings either- they are certainly much nicer than most movie theater built since then.
    Why there is a need to serve drinks to movie watchers in a theatre seems a little weird to me. I do like the idea that maybe the whole area can be utilized a little more by people than cars, so thats a plus in my mind. I can certainly understand why the moneymen think there is money to be made with a 14 story live space above. It might look a little out of place, but then again if done right it might fit in just fine.

    This whole project sounds like a copycat idea of the Nitehawk Cinema in Brooklyn. That took a looooooong time to get going, and it changed ownership a number of times in the process. I have no idea how successful it is or isn't.
    what similar theaters are these nicer than? I don't think that's it's weird that they think adults might want to consume an alcoholic beverage while watching a movie, in fact, it's a little bizarre that it isn't easier to do so. it's not exactly a new concept. all that being said, selling movie tickets isn't a particularly profitable businessand I think it's easy to see why they'd want to go this way and without an actual plan, it's hard to say if it will be nice or not...though that isn't stopping the usual nimby's from uniting ahead of time
    Last edited by eldondre; 12-03-2012 at 11:29 PM.
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

  17. #17
    ScottBudman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Rittenhouse Square
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Isn't this the third mention of a movie theater with food and or alcohol ? I remember one being the ACC Tower but was the other the Boyd ?

    I see a lot of movies at the Ritz at the Bourse and the Ritz 5 and I would say most of the people I see in the the theater are 40 and over. I have a hard time believing that the cliental I see would want to drink during an art house or independent film. I know I wouldn't want to be in an even smaller theater with a bunch of people banging ice in their glass or slurping down a cocktail when I'm trying to watch a movie, especially a foreign movie and unless they plan on serving in plastic a dropped drink should be fun. Personally I smell a Douche bag-ish way of sneaking in a boutique first run theater. But I think the chances of this project happening is slim to none.

  18. #18
    lucidinnature is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Duh.
    Posts
    2,373

    Default

    If I remember correctly, the original plans of symphony house included a movie theatre.

    I agree. I sure as hell wouldn't be interested in a liquor version of the ritz; and I don't think many of the regulars would, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottBudman View Post
    Isn't this the third mention of a movie theater with food and or alcohol ? I remember one being the ACC Tower but was the other the Boyd ?

    I see a lot of movies at the Ritz at the Bourse and the Ritz 5 and I would say most of the people I see in the the theater are 40 and over. I have a hard time believing that the cliental I see would want to drink during an art house or independent film. I know I wouldn't want to be in an even smaller theater with a bunch of people banging ice in their glass or slurping down a cocktail when I'm trying to watch a movie, especially a foreign movie and unless they plan on serving in plastic a dropped drink should be fun. Personally I smell a Douche bag-ish way of sneaking in a boutique first run theater. But I think the chances of this project happening is slim to none.

  19. #19
    mixiboi's Avatar
    mixiboi is online now Philly Remixed
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawncrest
    Posts
    9,670

    Default

    Movie house need to evolve because people rather stay home then go out, especially for the art films...these changes are the things that they think will help out that issue. As proven with the other cities that have "Cinema experiences"

    The Roxy is already getting that makeover.
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Consultant. Twitter: @Sdlaugh

  20. #20
    ShoshTrvls's Avatar
    ShoshTrvls is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Queen Village
    Posts
    3,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lucidinnature View Post
    If I remember correctly, the original plans of symphony house included a movie theatre.

    I agree. I sure as hell wouldn't be interested in a liquor version of the ritz; and I don't think many of the regulars would, either.
    I wouldn't mind a glass of wine. But, I also wouldn't like to see the big screens chopped up into little ones.

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2