Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    lucidinnature is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AsYouWere View Post
    By chance I happened to ask the Super Fresh Manager about 10 minutes ago why they call it Super Fresh and he related it's because of all the cadavers on the management team that are still fresh.
    hahahahahaha... it sure as hell isn't because of the seafood. I bought shrimp las week and as soon as I got home I noticed that it was waaaaay past its prime.

AsYouWere is offline Banned

I aways bummed when something wasn't fresh and had to be tossed at the loss of a life.

I will never shop at SuperFresh or Pathmark or any other A&P store based on the way both corporate and their unions treat the employees. Trust me, neither are looking out for the interests of the employees. I would love to see a new TJ's in the city. I deal with the lines, but my husband and I refer to it as full-contact shopping. You have to be willing to climb over several people to get to the product you want. Shopping the existing store is exhausting and I would like to see one closer to home.

AsYouWere is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by notherrealname View Post
    I will never shop at SuperFresh or Pathmark or any other A&P store based on the way both corporate and their unions treat the employees. Trust me, neither are looking out for the interests of the employees. I would love to see a new TJ's in the city. I deal with the lines, but my husband and I refer to it as full-contact shopping. You have to be willing to climb over several people to get to the product you want. Shopping the existing store is exhausting and I would like to see one closer to home.
    For the ultimate food shopping orgasm visit Shady Maple....

ScottBudman is offline Senior Member

i will never shop at superfresh or pathmark or any other a&p store based on the way both corporate and their unions treat the employees. Trust me, neither are looking out for the interests of the employees.
    lmao

MarketStEl is offline Will Work for Food, But Prefers Cash
    East Germantown rocks! But watch your back.

Quote Originally Posted by catmom3 View Post
    Superfresh is so expensive that I shop there only for items to hold me until I can get a delivery from ShopRite. And forget pet food--for that, I use K-Mart at 9th and Market which is ten cents cheaper a can for the Fancy Feast my guys prefer. So I'm on the side of having a Trader Joe's in the neighborhood. For someone like me--car-less--it would be great to walk there instead of buying only what I can get home by trolley and bus at 22nd St.
    oooooohhhkay, you complain about how high Super Fresh's prices are, yet you are prepared to shop at Trader Joe's?

Recall upthread that I referred to TJ's as Aldi-meets-Whole Foods. Pricewise, the "Aldi" part is only relative to Whole Foods, not absolute. For fancy and specialty foods, TJ's a decent deal. Compared to any regular supermarket, even Super Fresh, they're expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw Star View Post

As to the complaints about losing a "regular" grocery store, yeah, I get it. But you've got other options nearby, including the better Superfresh at 10th & South (to be fair, I never understood why those two stores were so close together in the first place).
    The only supermarket convenient to the heart of Wash West prior to the Super Fresh opening was an extremely tiny and overburdened Acme at 15th and Spruce. The 10th and South store was a Godsend. (The Acme was sold to another owner and hung on for a few years after that as an indie supermarket. Still wasn't super, really.)
    Sandy Smith, Wanderer in Germantown, Philadelphia
    Editor-in-Chief, Philly Living Blog - but all opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone.
    ""Jazz and blogging are both intimate, improvisational, and individual -- but also inherently collective. And the audience talks over both." --Andrew Sullivan, "Why I Blog," The Atlantic, November 2008

You certainly win a star on your refrigerator for most exaggerated post of the day. Golf clap.

catmom3 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
    oooooohhhkay, you complain about how high Super Fresh's prices are, yet you are prepared to shop at Trader Joe's?

Recall upthread that I referred to TJ's as Aldi-meets-Whole Foods. Pricewise, the "Aldi" part is only relative to Whole Foods, not absolute. For fancy and specialty foods, TJ's a decent deal. Compared to any regular supermarket, even Super Fresh, they're expensive.
    Yes, I preferTrader Joe's to SuperFresh. I don't see a conflict here. For what I buy at each store, I get a better deal at Trader Joe's. For the bulk of my shopping, I use ShopRite. And I still want Santa to bring me a Trader Joe's in the neighborhood for Christmas.

bluecuracao is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lucidinnature View Post
    You certainly win a star on your refrigerator for most exaggerated post of the day. Golf clap.
    It's a pretty accurate description of a TJ's Sunday!

supersupper is offline Appetizer

Quote Originally Posted by BarryG View Post
    It is the cheapest place to buy Clif Bars.
    or used Cliff Notes.
    SooooooooooooooooPER ........................ SL O WD O WN

RittenhouseGirl is offline Senior Member

If that SuperFresh becomes a Trader Joe's, then that place is REALLY going to get packed.

I have never experienced that SuperFresh being overcrowded. The only great thing about having a pricier supermarket around is that it keeps it from being completely bombarded.

Trader Joe's on Market is unshoppable on the weekends after 10 a.m. You can't even enjoy the experience because it's as crowded as Black Friday on those days.

I've done weekly shopping at Great Scot's just to avoid the mess.

bluecuracao is offline Senior Member

The night before Thanksgiving at 9:30PM is a GREAT time to shop at Trader Joe's.

I was able to move about freely, and the lines were 1-person long.

ScottBudman is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by RittenhouseGirl View Post
    If that SuperFresh becomes a Trader Joe's, then that place is REALLY going to get packed.

I have never experienced that SuperFresh being overcrowded. The only great thing about having a pricier supermarket around is that it keeps it from being completely bombarded.

Trader Joe's on Market is unshoppable on the weekends after 10 a.m. You can't even enjoy the experience because it's as crowded as Black Friday on those days.

I've done weekly shopping at Great Scot's just to avoid the mess.
    I shop at Trader Joe's during the week and I don't think I ever been more than 4th in line

MarketStEl is offline Will Work for Food, But Prefers Cash
    East Germantown rocks! But watch your back.

Yes, I preferTrader Joe's to SuperFresh. I don't see a conflict here. For what I buy at each store, I get a better deal at Trader Joe's. For the bulk of my shopping, I use ShopRite. And I still want Santa to bring me a Trader Joe's in the neighborhood for Christmas.
    Some people in Center City don't drive, or would rather not drive, to buy basic groceries. The SuperFresh at Pier 70 is bigger and has a better selection than the 5th and Pine store, and you pass it on the way to the ShopRite closest to Society Hill. Replacing a regular supermarket with a specialty grocer would place a hardship on the people I have in mind. (Though some of them could just as easily walk to 10th and South.)
    Sandy Smith, Wanderer in Germantown, Philadelphia
    Editor-in-Chief, Philly Living Blog - but all opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone.
    ""Jazz and blogging are both intimate, improvisational, and individual -- but also inherently collective. And the audience talks over both." --Andrew Sullivan, "Why I Blog," The Atlantic, November 2008

MNG1324 is offline Senior Member
    Harrisburg/Center City weekend Condo owner

Quote Originally Posted by lucidinnature View Post
    Golf clap? Is that a tiger woods joke?

Jayfar is offline Junior Old Fart

Quote Originally Posted by MNG1324 View Post
    It can be, but not in the present context:

Urban Dictionary: golf clap
    “Guys like you I would dispatch with my roofing axe.” -- BootsywannabeACretin

Quote Originally Posted by MNG1324 View Post
    That would be golf herpes.

catmom3 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
    Some people in Center City don't drive, or would rather not drive, to buy basic groceries. The SuperFresh at Pier 70 is bigger and has a better selection than the 5th and Pine store, and you pass it on the way to the ShopRite closest to Society Hill. Replacing a regular supermarket with a specialty grocer would place a hardship on the people I have in mind. (Though some of them could just as easily walk to 10th and South.)
    I don't drive so my basic groceries are delivered by ShopRite. Perhaps some of the people who would find it a hardship to have SuperFresh replaced by Trader Joe's would consider that. I am not dismissing your point, however, it was a hardship for me when the Thriftway/Shop N Bag at 6th and Washington Ave was replaced by the Asian market. I had to switch to SuperFresh at 5th and Pine, walking over with my shopping cart, and the prices were much higher. Still, it's unfortunate but hardship doesn't figure into business decisions.

dp77 is offline Junior Member

I don't drive so my basic groceries are delivered by ShopRite. Perhaps some of the people who would find it a hardship to have SuperFresh replaced by Trader Joe's would consider that. I am not dismissing your point, however, it was a hardship for me when the Thriftway/Shop N Bag at 6th and Washington Ave was replaced by the Asian market. I had to switch to SuperFresh at 5th and Pine, walking over with my shopping cart, and the prices were much higher. Still, it's unfortunate but hardship doesn't figure into business decisions.
    You might also consider these guys for grocery delivery. Don't know how they compare to ShopRite for delivery prices, but it's another option. They just started in Philly but I understand they've been in NYC for awhile. FreshDirect

BarryG is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dp77 View Post
    You might also consider these guys for grocery delivery. Don't know how they compare to ShopRite for delivery prices, but it's another option. They just started in Philly but I understand they've been in NYC for awhile. FreshDirect
    They don't start in Philly until next year.