Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    MTEMPLE is offline Senior Member

Default Man found beaten (to death and back) in Old City

BarryG is offline Senior Member

2012 is shaping up to be a pretty sweet year for Philly.

Alley is offline Senior Member

Right across from the Omni hotel it seems. Imagine the doormen there may have seen and heard something. Unless it was more in the park on the other side of the bank.

enyo is online now Senior Member

Man Brain Dead After Old City Beating | NBC 10 Philadelphia

Investigators are speaking to two female witnesses and several park rangers. The old Second Bank of the United States is part of Independence National Historic Park.

Police have identified a possible vehicle involved in the attack from a surveillance camera located at the intersection of 5th and Chestnut. The vehicle is described as a four-door maroon Mazda which was occupied by four Middle Eastern men in their 20s. Police hope to release photos of the video later in the day.
    Looks like they might have some leads.
    "Believing is seeing" - paraphrased from PH

Ahhh the group beat down. A growing trend across America by a bunch of cowards who can't fight one on one. Here's to hoping you get repeatedly raped in prison.

Jayfar is offline Junior Old Fart

A different account of the incident now up on philly.com

Man severely beaten near Independence Hall | Philadelphia Inquirer | 01/14/2012
    “Guys like you I would dispatch with my roofing axe.” -- BootsywannabeACretin

Feloniousjoe is offline Senior Member

The Inky story makes it sound as if the victim made comments to the cabby about being middle eastern. So when we see middle eastern people we should beat them up if they say anythimg we don't like.

scotchrocks is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Feloniousjoe View Post
    The Inky story makes it sound as if the victim made comments to the cabby about being middle eastern. So when we see middle eastern people we should beat them up if they say anythimg we don't like.
    Sounds good.
    "True freedom means being conscious and aware enough to choose what you pay attention to and to choose how you construct meaning from experience.” ~David Foster Wallace

CHIOSSO is offline Schuylkill Ranger

Then how will we talk to any of the cab drivers?
    Moyamensing became known for its penitentiary, violent hose company, cemeteries, wretchedly poor inhabitants, and crime. Harry C. Silcox

The Count is offline Senior Member

Sounds like just another night in Old City.

He died.

bluecuracao is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MTEMPLE View Post
    Ahhh the group beat down. A growing trend across America by a bunch of cowards who can't fight one on one. Here's to hoping you get repeatedly raped in prison.
    It seems to be a growing trend in just Old City, too. It was lovely to be reminded for days of one that happened a few weeks ago at 2nd and Market, leaving blood pools and splatters all over the sidewalk.

Where will next month's beat down take place, I wonder.

bjeebers is offline Member

This story, and now his death, has left me so upset. I don't get how three humans could do this to another human. Guns are cold and distant, but this was hand-to-hand. They were literally bashing his skull in... and they came back after a first round of beating him to finish the job. He must have been begging for his life and then probably knocked unconscious and they proceeded to destroy him like he wasn't a fellow human being. The horror, madness, and sadness of the whole situation. Fortunately the odds are good that some video camera will have them on it, and they will be caught. It's only a matter of time now. And, they deserve a very painful prison sentence.

loveisnoise is offline Senior Member

Yeah, I saw a similar thing on 2nd and chestnut a few weeks ago on an otherwise quiet monday night.

Driver almost hits pedestrian crossing the street. Pedestrian yells, car slams on its brakes and two guys jump out and get in the pedestrians face. Pushes lead to punches, then the guys jumped back in their car and rolled off. The guy wasn't hurt so I walked away.

I will still say that I have yet to see cops in the area unless I happen to be walking into a crime scene. The business and community groups really have to raise some hell to get cops to start showing their presence around old city.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluecuracao View Post
    It seems to be a growing trend in just Old City, too. It was lovely to be reminded for days of one that happened a few weeks ago at 2nd and Market, leaving blood pools and splatters all over the sidewalk.

Where will next month's beat down take place, I wonder.

The Count is offline Senior Member

Old City is a hostile ****-hole.

It's time to install high res video cameras every 1/2 block: http://www.philadelphiaspeaks.com/fo...ing-point.html

ArcticSplash is offline Dixie Normus

This crap is the reason why gallery space growth has stopped in Old City and it's now drifting towards American Street in Kensington.

P.S. it ain't shangri-la anywhere. I'm putting up hi-res cams on my house end of this month and an NVR.

supersupper is offline Appetizer

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticSplash View Post
    This crap is the reason why gallery space growth has stopped in Old City and it's now drifting towards American Street in Kensington.

uh, no.

#1- High Rents here make it unaffordable for for the typical gallery to make ends meet. Even in the cheapest areas lke Kensington, it's hard right now because now one is spending much money on luxuries such as art. People with money in phila were never big spenders when it comes to art anyway. even in OC's heyday galleries came and went all the time. Most of the galleries still here own their building or have a sweetheart deal.

#2- High Rents here make it unaffordable for the typical artist artist to live here and generate energy. Most artists would prefer to live here than Kensington, though they certainly would not want to be around the many douchebags who come here, But if this place were populated by artists the douchbags wouldn't have any room in the inn, so it wouldn't be a problem. And just to reiterate, Artist-types were driven out by high rents, which are an indication of success.

#3- Money and success (high rents and successful restaraunts) bring its own set of problems to a neighborhood. I think OC is just in a transition. We are not like NY where people are acclimated to those kind of things. Phila for the most part is still a blue-collar town not used to understanding that a good night out on the town doesn't mean getting drunk and acting like an a-hole. Whether you are the perpetrator or victim.
    SooooooooooooooooPER ........................ SL O WD O WN

supersupper is offline Appetizer

Quote Originally Posted by The Count View Post
    Old City is a hostile ****-hole.
    oh kiss my ahole you ahole. punk. why i oudda......

there.

see how it works?
    SooooooooooooooooPER ........................ SL O WD O WN

Tartan69 is offline Pawn in game of life

Quote Originally Posted by Feloniousjoe View Post
    The Inky story makes it sound as if the victim made comments to the cabby about being middle eastern.
    What these guys did is flat-out disgusting and they need to go away for a very long time (if not to the chair). However, assuming for the sake of argument that the guy did make such racially-driven comments, he put himself into a very unsafe situation. Right or wrong, reality dictates that only fools spout off about things like that without realizing what the consequences might bring. Or at least, don't spout off without at least some form of backup (police or otherwise).

loveisnoise is offline Senior Member

As I've seen it way too many times.

drunk fights with cabbie. Cabbie acts like an equal ass and sticks around to yell instead of taking off.

Idiots behind start honking the horn and cursing within 10 seconds because they just have to get across town for lorenzos or after hours.

"You don't know me bro" flies around like a ball during a chinese ping pong match, and next thing you know it's an episode of Benny Hill with bitches running around the cars after each other until some one gets trampled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan69 View Post
    What these guys did is flat-out disgusting and they need to go away for a very long time (if not to the chair). However, assuming for the sake of argument that the guy did make such racially-driven comments, he put himself into a very unsafe situation. Right or wrong, reality dictates that only fools spout off about things like that without realizing what the consequences might bring. Or at least, don't spout off without at least some form of backup (police or otherwise).