Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LibertyBelle is offline Junior Member

Default Ticketed for putting trash out early

I've been getting WEEKLY tickets for putting out trash early. The tickets are issued to the property owner and not the parties putting out the trash. The property is tenant occupied. I've been told to call the police to solve the problem - this seems a poor use of the police force! Old City District will not help. City Council will not help. Code Enforcement will not even talk to me! Now I am being taken to court and threatened with liens on the property. This is not my trash - I cannot control who puts it in front of my building or what time they put it there. I am looking for help to solve this problem. Has anyone else had the same problem? Any suggestions?

BluegrassCat is offline Senior Member

Have you talked to your tenant? That would seem to be the easiest way to get this rectified.

ShoshTrvls is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyBelle View Post
    I've been getting WEEKLY tickets for putting out trash early. The tickets are issued to the property owner and not the parties putting out the trash. The property is tenant occupied. I've been told to call the police to solve the problem - this seems a poor use of the police force! Old City District will not help. City Council will not help. Code Enforcement will not even talk to me! Now I am being taken to court and threatened with liens on the property. This is not my trash - I cannot control who puts it in front of my building or what time they put it there. I am looking for help to solve this problem. Has anyone else had the same problem? Any suggestions?
    They're your tenants so you are responsible for their actions vis-a-vis the property. Assuming that your lease requires them to comply with all local laws and regulations, they may be in breach of the lease, and the lease should give you certain rights in that regard.

Read your lease.

Lyte233 is offline Member

Do you have a clause in your lease that states who is responsible for penalties or fines from the city that comes from the tenants behavior? Example: for us when we installed an alarm system we throughly explained how to use the system etc and gave demos to make sure they were comfortable using it. We also explained the False Alarm fee that the City will charge and if it is found that they tripped the alarm (they call us and the house) they will be charged. It is in the lease as well along with the potential for trash/recycling fines that you can get charged for. It only took one time for them to get fined and we haven't had a problem since. They wanted to debate it saying it wasn't in the lease. I have since learned that they don't read but that is a moot point. The city got their money and we have been straight since.

MikePenn is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShoshTrvls View Post
    They're your tenants so you are responsible for their actions vis-a-vis the property. Assuming that your lease requires them to comply with all local laws and regulations, they may be in breach of the lease, and the lease should give you certain rights in that regard.

Read your lease.
    That's right. You are responsible for their actions. If this someone else in the neighborhood that's doing it you have to prove it's not your tenants. If you or your tenants see trash that's put out early in front of your building you have to immediately call the police for illegal dumping.

LibertyBelle is offline Junior Member

Tenants insist they are not putting their trash out early. So, what do I do/- call them liars? And why shouldn't they be fined if it is their trash? The City only punishes the taxpayers. No wonder so many are leaving. Are we on our way to becoming the next Detroit?

Tenants insist they are not putting their trash out early. So, what do I do/- call them liars? And why shouldn't they be fined if it is their trash? The City only punishes the taxpayers. No wonder so many are leaving. Are we on our way to becoming the next Detroit?
    You might want to check on your building an hour before trash is supposed to go out and if there is trash out there go through it and see if there is anything with a name or address on it.

ACG
    ACG is offline Senior Member

I would include a clause stating any such tickets will be the responsibility of the tenant in future leases. If I were the property owner I would pay the fine and charge back the tenants - you don't want the fines to add up or any additional action against your property.

I would also start spot checking in on your property. Of course not entering the property (that would be against the tenant's rights, but check around the property, in front the property the days leading up to trash day. If you find trash out front, open it and find something with a name & address. If it is your tenants, handle it with them. If it is a neighbor, contact the city about illegal dumping (and possibly return the misplaced trash).

FYI - it is not always the landlord that gets fined. In my first apartment I got this same fine as a tenant. The tenants did not put the trash on the curb, but the super was responsible for it from the cans we put our trash in. He put it out early and the trash police went thru the trash and found my name & address and issued me the fine. My management co took care of the fine right away.

snick33 is offline Senior Member

I recently received a ticket for "dumping trash" in front of my own house. I pay taxes and my driver license is here. Yet the trash inspector found my mail which is addressed to another house in NJ (to reduce the chance of important mail being stolen here). Logic would say to check the name in the Philadelphia tax/driver license database before sending out a ticket.

What happened was the bum (not sure what the PC word is) that goes through our trash bags, ripped the bag open and the trash dumped on the ground on trash day at my home location.

I'm so glad there are no other crimes in Philly that we can focus on things like this.

bryson662001 is offline BeenThere,DoneThat

I went to court once for this situation with a commercial building and the judge dismissed it.
    Forget it Jake.....it's MARKET EAST
    Organised religion is the root of all the evil in the world!

loveisnoise is offline Senior Member

But that would require acting like a landlord instead of a mere check casher.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePenn View Post
    You might want to check on your building an hour before trash is supposed to go out and if there is trash out there go through it and see if there is anything with a name or address on it.

macdaire is offline Senior Member

What an asinine comment.

Why should a landlord be responsible for a grown adult following city regulations? How hard is it to put trash out when they are legally supposed to?

This situation is not being caused by the landlord's tenants so it may require recognaissance work but in all honestly do you really expect landlord to drive by their properties the night before trash day to ensure tenants keep "the rules"?

Quote Originally Posted by macdaire View Post

Why should a landlord be responsible for a grown adult following city regulations? How hard is it to put trash out when they are legally supposed
    This situation is not being caused by the landlord's tenants so it may require recognaissance work but in all honestly do you really expect landlord to drive by their properties the night before trash day to ensure tenants keep "the rules"?
    How do you not know they are ? There's not a possibility that they are lying?

He's going to have to if he want's to put a stop to this or he can just keep being fined. The two other cities I've lived both fine for this (Seattle & NYC).

Alley is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by macdaire View Post
    do you really expect landlord to drive by their properties the night before trash day to ensure tenants keep "the rules"?
    Yes I do expect a landlord or rental management company to do that.

Exactly my point. Gee, what's the average person going to say when faced with a ticket? 'wasn't me!'.

Meanwhile, the landlord can do two things. Check the situation out for themselves or pay the fines.

Hell, there have been plenty o times idiots threw trash in front of my business's storefront. I take a pair of gloves, cut it open, and look for mail. 99% of the time it is from the tenants upstairs. Their first response? Wasn't me! Of course their tone quickly changes when I show them a peco bill with their name on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePenn View Post
    How do you not know they are ? There's not a possibility that they are lying?

He's going to have to if he want's to put a stop to this or he can just keep being fined. The two other cities I've lived both fine for this (Seattle & NYC).

Alley is offline Senior Member

I see so many people early in the morning leaving household trash at those solar trash cans. They leave it next to the can. It is the same people too. They must assume some girl running by could care less. Well, I do care and if I knew how to properly report them I would. I'm assuming the solar trash containers are not for household trash. Sorry, needed to vent maybe I should start a new thread on this and find out how to report them. There are certain streets there would be many unhappy people.

Your police district is the 6th...each district has a cop who specifically deals with quality of life and simple nuisance issues. If you contact Nick Schmanek at the city councilman's office he can tell you-he's the director of constituent services....215-686-3458

I do it all the time in my neighborhood. I get so pissed when every morning I see the same cars pull up and dump their private trash next to the commercial trash cans. By going to work at the same time, I was seeing this vw bug drop off trash on the corner of 4th and south for almost a month straight. The cop and I finally found mail in the trash and since I witnessed her doing each time, she got cited for each day I made notations for in my celphone. Needless to say, I haven't seen her again.

Quote Originally Posted by Alley View Post
    I see so many people early in the morning leaving household trash at those solar trash cans. They leave it next to the can. It is the same people too. They must assume some girl running by could care less. Well, I do care and if I knew how to properly report them I would. I'm assuming the solar trash containers are not for household trash. Sorry, needed to vent maybe I should start a new thread on this and find out how to report them. There are certain streets there would be many unhappy people.

nsm
    nsm is offline Member

Try calling Jim Donovan on 3 on your side. He is very helpful concerning things like this.

iheartphilly is offline Senior Member

I have a sort-of similar experience, but the dumpees dump their trash on any given day of the week except trash day. Sometimes they leave plastic furniture or bags of shoes. Weird. I called the Streets Dept & they took it very seriously - really. Illegal dumping is under their purview. The thing with me, though, is that so far I haven't found any IDs, addresses, etc. The SD started a report anyway & if I ever find out who's doing it, they'll be the first to know.

Oladybug is offline Philaphile

Quote Originally Posted by loveisnoise View Post
    ...By going to work at the same time, I was seeing this vw bug drop off trash on the corner of 4th and south for almost a month straight. The cop and I finally found mail in the trash and since I witnessed her doing each time, she got cited for each day I made notations for in my celphone. Needless to say, I haven't seen her again.
    I LOVE it! Good for you!!