Register
+ Reply to Thread
    ArcticSplash is offline Dixie Normus

Default Here's what happens when you don't fix your downspouts

This lovely family, probably renters, failed to do anything about their clogged downspout during the last icestorm.

So during a rainstorm the downspout finally broke apart from the house and now it's lying on the raised back porch. The thing is 2 stories tall. They haven't even junked it, it's still lying there. If it gets knocked over, it will touch the power lines running down the back of the houses.

So now what's happening is the freeze/thaw cycle up on the roof is not draining, so it's working away at tearing apart the guy's roof, and of course the back of the house now looks like the Crystal palace:

I imagine a few weeks of this fine icicle sitting around will do wonders to the siding on the back of the house. The big part off to the right is 2 stories tall and goes down all the way to just 4" off the ground.

Dayman is offline Champion of the Sun

I don't like that ours is essentially coated with ice now. I know it works, because some water is going through it, but I think it's just clogged with ice and there isn't a damn thing I can do about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Paine
    “The World is my country, all Mankind are my brethren, and to do Good is my religion.”

Cat Astrophe is offline Goofball

Quote Originally Posted by Dayman View Post
    I don't like that ours is essentially coated with ice now. I know it works, because some water is going through it, but I think it's just clogged with ice and there isn't a damn thing I can do about it.
    I'm not feeling great about mine. My neighbor very nicely chipped away at the ice at the top of downspout on my roof (I need to make him some cookies), but the lower part has ice formations clinging to it and one jointed section is starting to stress and become less than perpendicular.

I've poured a few pots of boiling on the lower part. Doubt it's really doing anything, but it made me feel better.

Mayfair101 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MayfairMeat View Post
    This lovely family, probably renters, failed to do anything about their clogged downspout during the last icestorm.

So during a rainstorm the downspout finally broke apart from the house and now it's lying on the raised back porch. The thing is 2 stories tall. They haven't even junked it, it's still lying there. If it gets knocked over, it will touch the power lines running down the back of the houses.

So now what's happening is the freeze/thaw cycle up on the roof is not draining, so it's working away at tearing apart the guy's roof, and of course the back of the house now looks like the Crystal palace:

I imagine a few weeks of this fine icicle sitting around will do wonders to the siding on the back of the house. The big part off to the right is 2 stories tall and goes down all the way to just 4" off the ground.
    It really has nothing to do with a clogged rainspout before the storm, ours does this every big storm and I assure you it isnt clogged.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayfair101 View Post
    It really has nothing to do with a clogged rainspout before the storm, ours does this every big storm and I assure you it isnt clogged.
    The icicle formed from the water dripping where the downspout once was.

I'm looking at the spout right now. You can't see it in the picture, it's laying up on its end in the well between both houses, totally disconnected and needs to be cut up and tossed. It hasn't been attached to the house in almost a year.

If a strong wind comes it will blow out of where it's lying and catch on the power lines.

The thing started breaking off the house last winter and then a windstorm we had last summer broke it off entirely.

Mayfair101 is offline Senior Member

The icicle formed from the water dripping where the downspout once was.

I'm looking at the spout right now. You can't see it in the picture, it's laying up on its end in the well between both houses, totally disconnected and needs to be cut up and tossed. It hasn't been attached to the house in almost a year.

If a strong wind comes it will blow out of where it's lying and catch on the power lines.

The thing started breaking off the house last winter and then a windstorm we had last summer broke it off entirely.
    We just had three foot icicles hanging from our flower pots mounted on our deck..it was sooo awesome looking but they fell before i got to Photograph them!

Seriously though if you came down our driveway every house on my side has this formation over their downspout and down the wall....Im sure Ill be calling for stone work pointing this summer.

lankenau is offline Senior Member

My whole development is plastered with ice cycles like this. I'm periodically having my house shake then hear loud crashing. Last piece was like 1/2 inch thick. My neighbor has a danglisng cycle about 3 ft. long on their roof...

NJbound is offline Guest

that can also be caused by the excessive snow and the thaw and freezing cycling that is happening every day too. It may not be clogged with anything besides ice..

The only surefire way I've ever seen to clear broken downspouts that are iced over is to take a blowtorch to it.

But most people don't have a blowtorch handy, much less an aluminum step ladder that reaches 3 stories, lying around in the garage.

Polar Cub is offline Better than a cat

I play the bongos on the side of the downspout, and you can hear the ice falling down through the pipe. If only I had a tall enough ladder to clear thing up at the top.
    For now, I just pray to the Sun Gods.

cerberus413 is offline Banned

Looks like the back of my house sans the ice

Edit: ok its somewhat similar....

Mayfair is offline Since 1929

Just about every house on my side of the block looks just like that. We just don't get enough sun.

I hope it warms up soon !!

Leave the camera - Lose the LIGHT

http://www.philadelphiaspeaks.com/fo...frankford.html

Weakness as in complaining is easy; getting up off your duff and doing something positive may be tougher...but it's more rewarding.

dgoak is offline Senior Member

ours had ice blocking the downspout at the roof line and then the water backed up and we had a small leak in the kitchen. I was able to get to that roof and clear it away as soon as I noticed it and it seems to have worked, no more damage since yesterday.......but we have 3 other levels of roof I can't get too.......which has me very concerned, since we will probably get some rain tonight before it changes over.

vincent59 is offline Senior Member

Default Downspout

Quote Originally Posted by dgoak View Post
    ours had ice blocking the downspout at the roof line and then the water backed up and we had a small leak in the kitchen. I was able to get to that roof and clear it away as soon as I noticed it and it seems to have worked, no more damage since yesterday(
    We had the same problem with our drain freezing and leaking into the kitchen and the small upstairs bedroom. It seems to be a constant problem in our house over the last few years, despite a fairly new roof and numerous visits from the roofer to regoo the area near the spout. I went up on the roof and cleared the drain with some rock salt. When I called the roofer yesterday we talked about installing a heating element in the drain. Which I may try. The frustrating part is that we just primered that bedroom and bought the paint to finish the job, than we get home and noticed it started leaking. errrh.

kbjc1972 is offline Senior Member

call L & I the broken spout may be a code violation. Especially if they see the wires under the spout in this condition.

dgoak is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by vincent59 View Post
    We had the same problem with our drain freezing and leaking into the kitchen and the small upstairs bedroom. It seems to be a constant problem in our house over the last few years, despite a fairly new roof and numerous visits from the roofer to regoo the area near the spout. I went up on the roof and cleared the drain with some rock salt. When I called the roofer yesterday we talked about installing a heating element in the drain. Which I may try. The frustrating part is that we just primered that bedroom and bought the paint to finish the job, than we get home and noticed it started leaking. errrh.
    our leak was new drywall as well, 13 months since we redid the kitchen.

we had corrected the issue when we bought the house, like you we had a roofer re-sculpt the area, but with this much snow the water just pools up there.

the roofer also installed screens over the downspouts for leaves, as a courtesy. However from the two levels of roof I could get too yesterday and over the weekend, the screens (chicken wire) are acting as re-bar reinforcing the ice which is acting like concrete. Had to chisel and hammer it out.

edit- what is the heating element that you were talking about? I grew up 2 hours north in the mountains and a lot of people have what they call Heat Tape, not sure if that is the correct name. But it's a strip of some material about a foot up the slop of the roof from the edge. controlled by a switch usually in the garage that melts the perimeter of the house near the gutters. didn't know they had something like that for downspouts.
    Last edited by dgoak; 02-16-2010 at 10:32 PM.

vincent59 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dgoak View Post
    edit- what is the heating element that you were talking about? I grew up 2 hours north in the mountains and a lot of people have what they call Heat Tape, not sure if that is the correct name. But it's a strip of some material about a foot up the slop of the roof from the edge. controlled by a switch usually in the garage that melts the perimeter of the house near the gutters. didn't know they had something like that for downspouts.
    This heating element sounds similar to that tape. I have not seen it but the way it was described by the roofer it sounds like a wire that goes down the downspout and than in the garage for a power supply. When I googled the problem on the Internet, it seems to be a common solution. There is also a company that makes some kind of box that disperses rock salt near the drain. I am not too sure I like that idea.

So my downspout was frozen about a foot above the first story down. Water was coming out a joint in the spout above it.

So I got a big iron barbell and whacked the ice off. After about a half hour of hard (but admittedly fun) work swinging an unwieldy fifty pound bar all the ice was knocked off, but water was still leaking. Knowing what I know about physics, I waited until today and checked, water was running fast through it and the clog was cleared since their was no longer a huge self-insulating thing of ice on it.
    “The World is my country, all Mankind are my brethren, and to do Good is my religion.”

mixiboi is offline Philly Remixed

This is the front of my mom's house:

Its so pretty...

Those flowers won't lack for water...