Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NE Mike is offline Junior Member

Default Wawa and CVS coming to Grant & Academy

The owners of the property at Grant and Academy (formally NE Auto) have filed for a variance for the approval of a Wawa and CVS pharmacy. I guess you can never have too many Wawa's and pharmacies.

Oladybug is offline Philaphile

Quote Originally Posted by NE Mike View Post
    ... you can never have too many Wawa's...
    Couldn't agree more. One of the few things I miss about living in Jersey is their abundance of Wawa stores.
    "It's not the bullet with my name on it that worries me; it's the one that says, 'To Whom It May Concern.'"
    -- Anonymous resident of Belfast, Ireland

Polar Cub is offline Better than a cat

That put 2 Wawas within eyesight of each other.

NE Mike is offline Junior Member

With this Wawa, it would put 6 within 2.5 miles. Grant & Academy, Grant & Bluegrass, Academy and Byberry, Frankford & linden, and Bristol Pike and Woodhaven.

mixiboi is offline Philly Remixed

Demand, demand, demand.
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Consultant. Twitter: @Sdlaugh

PatrickR is offline Junior Member

That's not bad. I had irrationally hoped that a Wegman's or a Trader Joe's could be put in there. But, a CVS/Wawa isn't bad. I was beginning to worry that nothing was going to be done with the property, it was becoming a bit of an eyesore.

PhilaCap is offline Senior Member

philly peeps love their snack food!

Captain Awesome is offline Vote Quimby

Wawa is one of the main reasons I don't want to move out of the Philly metro area. I was visiting my dad in Tampa for spring training a few months ago and was pleasantly surprised to see Wawa has expanded to parts of FL.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    "Genius is the ability to say a profound thing in a simple way."
    -Charles Bukowski

OakmontGuy is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
    Wawa is one of the main reasons I don't want to move out of the Philly metro area.
    What exactly about Wawa makes them so special to you? I mean, they're okay, but not so much so that I'd start searching Google Maps for them when house hunting. :-)

Sent from my IdeaTab A2107A-F using Tapatalk HD

ArcticSplash is offline Dixie Normus

Quote Originally Posted by OakmontGuy View Post
    What exactly about Wawa makes them so special to you? I mean, they're okay, but not so much so that I'd start searching Google Maps for them when house hunting. :-)

For a stop-n-rob they have decent coffee.

7-11 coffee is hit and miss and gas stations == bleah. Not much of a fun of Dunkin's but I'll take it when there's no options available.

Captain Awesome is offline Vote Quimby

Quote Originally Posted by OakmontGuy View Post

I drink an obscene amount of coffee and prefer them over Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts. As far as convenience stores go, the sandwiches aren't bad, the gas is cheap, and they're way cleaner than 7-11.

Having one close to my house wasn't a deal breaker when we bought our current house, but I was bummed to find out that there wasn't one within walking distance like my old place.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    "Genius is the ability to say a profound thing in a simple way."
    -Charles Bukowski

zeolite is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticSplash View Post
    For a stop-n-rob they have decent coffee.
    Stop-n-rob? If it's a SuperWawa you'll see low fuel prices. For coffee if it's early I go with the Kona or Colombian which are good at the price.

In Conshohocken there's a diehard group fighting a SuperWawa on the site of an old car dealership, not taking into account most people being the silent majority would like a brand new Wawa with cheaper gas and clean modern bathrooms along with coffee and decent food. Their pretzels at the register aren't bad either, with a notable lack of all the little bottles of energy crap and other junk all over the counter.

PhilaCap is offline Senior Member

Wawa hoagies might be the most overrated thing in the Philadelphia region, they are mediocre at best.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilaCap View Post
    Wawa hoagies might be the most overrated thing in the Philadelphia region, they are mediocre at best.
    When I rarely get one off the touch screen I note everything on it, salt, pepper, oregano, oil and mayo which makes it edible.
    I grew tired of the wraps also long ago but anything they sell is at least fresh, while people who get lunch at Wawa in general need to get a life. Sometimes for me it's the choice between missing a meal or not which is why I opt for the pretzels. I think the problem with the sandwiches is in the mediocre rolls.

Baloo is offline Senior Member

Wawa is Infinitely better than any 7-11 anywhere, ever. They've got a great selection of food and they're pretty consistent.

There's a reason people love Wawa. It's a nice convenience store. Are they the best hoagies? No, but I sure as hell wish there was a Wawa here in South Philly when every single great hoagie shop runs out of bread here at 2 in the afternoon.

Polar Cub is offline Better than a cat

Quote Originally Posted by zeolite View Post
    I think the problem with the sandwiches is in the mediocre rolls.
    You hit the nail on the head. Those pillowy soft rolls that are obviously stored in plastic bags, make horrible sandwiches. A McDonalds hamburger roll is probably better.

eldondre is online now Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by PhilaCap View Post
    I think they've declined over the years as wawa has become more corporate (meaning everything becomes a spreadsheet andquality doesn't matter a whole lot). it's still pretty good for a convenience store but not like the old days when some had grills and rolls came from south philly.
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

qguy is offline Member

I wish Sheetz would expand into the Phila area and give Wawa some head-to-head competition.

Quote Originally Posted by eldondre View Post
    I think they've declined over the years as wawa has become more corporate (meaning everything becomes a spreadsheet andquality doesn't matter a whole lot). it's still pretty good for a convenience store but not like the old days when some had grills and rolls came from south philly.
    The Superwawa's are much better with the large and clean bathrooms and the cheapest gas for wherever it's located. Coffee is always fresh with a choice of about 10 types and the quality of their tastykakes is as good as anywhere. The old 1stgen stores like in the city can be depressing by comparison but tend to have good locations.

Quote Originally Posted by qguy View Post
    I wish Sheetz would expand into the Phila area and give Wawa some head-to-head competition.
    I read a story where they have an unwritten non-competition agreement.

phillygirl67 is offline Junior Member

I would love to see a Whole Foods there!