Register
+ Reply to Thread
    xanthus is offline Senior Member

Default New property values

I talked to a guy today who said he got a notice his property value has more than doubled. He said all his neighbors got city notices, too. He's thinking about moving to Cherry Hill

Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by xanthus View Post
    I talked to a guy today who said he got a notice his property value has more than doubled. He said all his neighbors got city notices, too. He's thinking about moving to Cherry Hill
    '

There are many threads on the board dealing with AVI--you know, ACTUAL Value Initiative. It must be done. It's as important to look at the millage rate as it is to look at the property value. And move to Cherry Hill???? So he can pay 4 times what he does in the NE, where if the truth is understood, most tax bills will either stay the same or be reduced a bit.
    I am not the Jackass Whisperer.

OldMama is offline Senior Member

Doubled from what? Some ridiculous arbitrary value, that's what. Yeah right. My house was worth $50,000 in 2013 and $302,000 in 2014. Seriously, which number is more accurate? Can I run around telling people my house has quadrupled?

Gone is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OldMama View Post
    Doubled from what? Some ridiculous arbitrary value, that's what. Yeah right. My house was worth $50,000 in 2013 and $302,000 in 2014. Seriously, which number is more accurate? Can I run around telling people my house has quadrupled?
    By 2016 you will be in a half of a million dollar mansion. Paying 7k a year tax.

My brother lives in a small house in Cheltenham and pays close to 7K now.

Stingray66 is offline Member

What will happen is there will be more people that can NOT pay the new tax That because they cant afford it The City will be in worse shape two years from now if they do not hold the line on spending
    ether way look for more homes going up for sale I am on ss on a fixed income and cant afford my taxes now
    So now what happens will I be taxed out of my home

Marquis is offline Banned

Most likely. I heard about a guy moving to Cherry Hill because malls (probably).

fstrthnthwrld is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray66 View Post
    What will happen is there will be more people that can NOT pay the new tax That because they cant afford it
    actually it should be the opposite. in theory, going by actual values should shift the tax burden to people who own more expensive properties. part of being able to afford something includes being able to afford the taxes that go along with it.

if your budget for pay tv was $80 a month, you wouldn't buy a tv package that costs $80 a month, right?

I am on ss on a fixed income and cant afford my taxes now
    So now what happens will I be taxed out of my home
    are you basing that on just your property value or have you actually used one of the online calculators to get an estimate of your tax bill?

try looking up your property on this page: Property Tax Changes | AxisPhilly

for example, my value nearly triple, while my taxes according to this estimate(as well as the city's calculator) will go down up to 30% depending on the final tax rate and homestead exemption
    Last edited by fstrthnthwrld; 02-21-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Stingray66 is offline Member

ok if that chart is right mine is going up 12% BUT next door to me thats has a little bigger yard went up 475% Some thing is really broken with is new set up PHILLY WILL END UP A GHOST TOWN

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray66 View Post
    ok if that chart is right mine is going up 12% BUT next door to me thats has a little bigger yard went up 475% Some thing is really broken with is new set up PHILLY WILL END UP A GHOST TOWN
    '
    What rate did you use?

Gone is offline Banned

My brother lives in a small house in Cheltenham and pays close to 7K now.
    Yea! But look at His nice yard , driveway, top notch school dist. Clean streets. In a couple of years when Philly hits that number what will we have. This is the first step.

Quote Originally Posted by Gone View Post
    Yea! But look at His nice yard , driveway, top notch school dist. Clean streets. In a couple of years when Philly hits that number what will we have. This is the first step.
    Had a yard in Roxborough, don't need one anymore.
    Never had a driveway, never missed it,
    His kids went to "top notch schools," neither went to college
    Mine went/go to Philly schools, first has a Ivy Masters, second is getting college letters in 10th grade.
    Add that he has nothing to walk to, you need cars for every member of the family, kids had to drive at 16 engendering enormous insurance bills, and I think their snow removal is awful
    AND he's been paying 7K for years.
    No contest in my book.

Gone is offline Banned

Had a yard in Roxborough, don't need one anymore.
    Never had a driveway, never missed it,
    His kids went to "top notch schools," neither went to college
    Mine went/go to Philly schools, first has a Ivy Masters, second is getting college letters in 10th grade.
    Add that he has nothing to walk to, you need cars for every member of the family, kids had to drive at 16 engendering enormous insurance bills, and I think their snow removal is awful
    AND he's been paying 7K for years.
    No contest in my book.
    like I said, he will get much more Quality of life for the same buck,

like I said, he will get much more Quality of life for the same buck,
    Not necessarily, it all depends on what you value more.

billy ross is offline Senior Member

You're confused. Philly is on a healing trajectory, and has been for about 15 years now; the momentum is building. Conversely, the rebirth in the traditional center of Philly is driving the rot to the hinterlands of Philly. In places that rot has even crossed over the city line. Cheltenham is one of those places. Cheltenham is on greased skids. Look up 'Inner Ring Suburb'. Cheltenham is a classic example of this phenomenon.

BarryG is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by billy ross View Post
    You're confused. Philly is on a healing trajectory, and has been for about 15 years now; the momentum is building. Conversely, the rebirth in the traditional center of Philly is driving the rot to the hinterlands of Philly. In places that rot has even crossed over the city line. Cheltenham is one of those places. Cheltenham is on greased skids. Look up 'Inner Ring Suburb'. Cheltenham is a classic example of this phenomenon.
    You love to hate on Cheltenham but your remarks ignore the intact and wealthy parts of the township like Elkins Park and Wyncote.

billy ross is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BarryG View Post
    You love to hate on Cheltenham but your remarks ignore the intact and wealthy parts of the township like Elkins Park and Wyncote.
    Once the taxes get high enough, the place collapses. People don't sign up to pay insane taxes to support poor people. Cheltenham has gone beyond that point. If it doesn't get it figured out it'll be destroyed by the poverty trap. However, instead of pulling back from the precipice, I see Cgeltenham hurtling over it by raising taxes even more.

AsYouWere is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by billy ross View Post
    Once the taxes get high enough, the place collapses. People don't sign up to pay insane taxes to support poor people. Cheltenham has gone beyond that point. If it doesn't get it figured out it'll be destroyed by the poverty trap. However, instead of pulling back from the precipice, I see Cgeltenham hurtling over it by raising taxes even more.
    The hope of everyone is that Cgeltenham won't jump off the high tax bridge, and maybe follow the lead of Whitemarsh, Springfield, Lower Gwyned, etc.

xanthus is offline Senior Member

One of the things that didn't come with the new assessment is what the new tax rate will be. I read that the tax rate must come down.

I think council people got to get on the ball and let us know what we will be paying, really paying.

Newspapers said most places in Northeast will dip a bit or just go up a bit when the dust settles in May or early June and the tax rate is set low. It's all just guesses now.