Light Fixture Behind Father Judge High School HazMat
PHILADELPHIA - Father Judge High School is off-limits and two local emergency rooms are temporarily quarantined, according to fire department sources, after a hazardous materials incident was traced back to the school.
At least five to 10 victims, several of them cheerleaders, have been complaining of eye irritation and visited two or three emergency rooms, FOX 29's Sean Tobin reported.
We're told parents are also among the patients who are being treated with the cheerleaders, who visited the all-boy school to participate in a competition being held there.
For some of the patients it was so bad that they were taken to the hospital to have their eyes flushed, Tobin reported.
Victims went to as many as three hospitals in Northeast Philadelphia, and officials soon figured out that the common bond was they had all been at Father Judge.
Hazardous materials crews responded to the school, located on Solly Road in Northeast Philadelphia, before dawn to investigate.
Shortly after 7 a.m., fire officials said says a sodium light fixture broke in the auditorium, releasing a gas that caused the irritation.
The cases led to the quarantining of those two hospital emergency rooms, and the Department of Homeland Security was even notified, Tobin reported.
Father Judge students were not scheduled to attend classes Monday due to a faculty in-service day. But fire officials were continuing to block all access to the school well into the morning.