Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 58
  1. #1
    City Man is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Parkwood
    Posts
    340

    Default International Supermarket St. Vincent & the Boulevard

    I hear the fish here is good and inexpensive. Has anyone gone?

  2. #2
    Hospitalitygirl's Avatar
    Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Miss Mannersville
    Posts
    14,246

    Default

    Ha! Funny you should start this thread. About a year ago there was a 9-page thread discussing it and everyone had their panties in a bunch over it.

    According to the post on this page of the thread: http://www.philadelphiaspeaks.com/fo...rmarket-9.html generally favorable reviews.
    I am not the Jackass Whisperer.

  3. #3
    PortPennFerry is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    199

    Default

    I'm glad that at least one denizen of the Northeast has taken an enlightened attitude towards his new Asian commercial neighbors. It reminds me of this new article about Asian supermarkets in Queens, NY:
    Flushing, Queens Sees Food Dispute Between Asian Immigrants, Longtime Residents - WSJ.com
    While the residents may not have been thrilled with their food options, they chose to engage the Asian storeowners, by asking for translations and more non-ethnic food, rather than grumble about it, like too many people did on PS's other Asian Supermarket forum.

  4. #4
    NE19149 is offline (^!^)
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Beautiful Downtown Mayfair
    Posts
    3,068

    Default

    I was there a few weeks ago...
    Picked up a few bottles of Aloe Vera juice drink, and browsed the store with friends...
    For a saturday I think there was 4 or 5 other people there, and if that's any indication of things, how would they be able to stay in business?..... and all that food going to waste.

  5. #5
    mayfairmurph is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hospitalitygirl View Post
    Ha! Funny you should start this thread. About a year ago there was a 9-page thread discussing it and everyone had their panties in a bunch over it.

    According to the post on this page of the thread: http://www.philadelphiaspeaks.com/fo...rmarket-9.html generally favorable reviews.
    Panites in a bunch it was more like neighbors protecting their quality of life.....Have you seen he Asian market at 6th and Washington in South Philly well we did not want that mess.....Make sure you know the facts about how they were going to sublet space. I am glad they have been able to operate but we were also lied to during their intital proposal. Get the facts right before you state we had our panties in a bunch because if thsi went bad you would be one of the first complaining about how no one stopped or meet with the owners.

  6. #6
    Hospitalitygirl's Avatar
    Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Miss Mannersville
    Posts
    14,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mayfairmurph View Post
    Panites in a bunch it was more like neighbors protecting their quality of life.....Have you seen he Asian market at 6th and Washington in South Philly well we did not want that mess.....Make sure you know the facts about how they were going to sublet space. I am glad they have been able to operate but we were also lied to during their intital proposal. Get the facts right before you state we had our panties in a bunch because if thsi went bad you would be one of the first complaining about how no one stopped or meet with the owners.
    Welcome noob, however I live near the markt at 6th & Washington and don't see it as the problem that you've all made it out to be.

    Just admit it, most of you in Mayfair Heights...tend to be xenophobic and worried about anyone that doesn't share all of your interests, despite the fact that a place like this can be a net positive not negative.
    I am not the Jackass Whisperer.

  7. #7
    NE19149 is offline (^!^)
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Beautiful Downtown Mayfair
    Posts
    3,068

    Default

    Xenophobia in this case comes from experience, plus the continual stories thrown at people from the papers, tv, and internet.

    It ain't a sickness if it's real life.

    Us "Heights" people just don't wanna deal with crap goings-on.... kabish?

  8. #8
    Captain Awesome's Avatar
    Captain Awesome is offline Vote Quimby
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mayfair
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hospitalitygirl View Post
    Just admit it, most of you in Mayfair Heights...tend to be xenophobic and worried about anyone that doesn't share all of your interests, despite the fact that a place like this can be a net positive not negative.
    That's a rather broad brush you're using there.
    "Genius is the ability to say a profound thing in a simple way."
    -Charles Bukowski

  9. #9
    Hospitalitygirl's Avatar
    Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Miss Mannersville
    Posts
    14,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
    That's a rather broad brush you're using there.
    Is it really terribly different than the hubbub raised by nearby residents over this place well before it became operational...and on so many issues? Really...the language signs were going to be written in?

    Please, if there is a broad stroke here, it's with regard to the myriad (non) issues raised by people. Even the trash at 6th & Washington---NOT the issue some wished it would be.
    I am not the Jackass Whisperer.

  10. #10
    Mayfair101 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
    That's a rather broad brush you're using there.
    Very broad brush and its people that continually make accusations like that, that make matters worse....HG do you ever even come to Mayfair or know anyone that lives here?

  11. #11
    Mayfair101 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hospitalitygirl View Post
    Is it really terribly different than the hubbub raised by nearby residents over this place well before it became operational...and on so many issues? Really...the language signs were going to be written in?

    Please, if there is a broad stroke here, it's with regard to the myriad (non) issues raised by people. Even the trash at 6th & Washington---NOT the issue some wished it would be.
    The language that signs would be in is important to a neighborhood. Would it be acceptable in your neighborhood to place signs in a language 95% of the people cant read what would that be saying? I think making the signs English as well is only a plus for the business and Yes I do occasionally shop there.

  12. #12
    Hospitalitygirl's Avatar
    Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Miss Mannersville
    Posts
    14,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayfair101 View Post
    HG do you ever even come to Mayfair or know anyone that lives here?
    Yes, and yes. But that is not what matters.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayfair101 View Post
    The language that signs would be in is important to a neighborhood. Would it be acceptable in your neighborhood to place signs in a language 95% of the people cant read what would that be saying? I think making the signs English as well is only a plus for the business and Yes I do occasionally shop there.
    Draw the distinctions here please.

    To just place signs up, such as street signs, in a language not everyone understands is one thing. If you look to the streets of Olney, such as 5th Street, the signs are bilingual, because so many of the residents and business owners are of Asian, and in this case, Korean extraction, it is the correct thing to do.

    To state that a store, and a PRIVATE store, which will likely serve a narrower population than say, Acme should not put up signs in a language to suit the primary customers or target customers, is quite another. Please make that distinction. But if I am not mistaken this has bilingual signs, correct? I am also familiar with the store in Bell's Market, which caters to the Eastern European market in the area, do shop there, and really have no problem with foreign language signage. I shop occasionally in stores along 9th Street whose primary customers are Mexican--I am likewise not bothered by those signs.

    Please go back to the original thread and look at some of the accusations being thrown around in that thread, and see how many of the "potential" issues have not come to bear.

    Much ado about nothing.
    I am not the Jackass Whisperer.

  13. #13
    Mayfair101 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hospitalitygirl View Post
    Yes, and yes. But that is not what matters.



    Draw the distinctions here please.

    To just place signs up, such as street signs, in a language not everyone understands is one thing. If you look to the streets of Olney, such as 5th Street, the signs are bilingual, because so many of the residents and business owners are of Asian, and in this case, Korean extraction, it is the correct thing to do.

    To state that a store, and a PRIVATE store, which will likely serve a narrower population than say, Acme should not put up signs in a language to suit the primary customers or target customers, is quite another. Please make that distinction. But if I am not mistaken this has bilingual signs, correct? I am also familiar with the store in Bell's Market, which caters to the Eastern European market in the area, do shop there, and really have no problem with foreign language signage. I shop occasionally in stores along 9th Street whose primary customers are Mexican--I am likewise not bothered by those signs.

    Please go back to the original thread and look at some of the accusations being thrown around in that thread, and see how many of the "potential" issues have not come to bear.

    Much ado about nothing.
    I don't know anyone that had a problem with bilingual signs.....and OLNEY they put those signs up when Koreans were a very small minority.......look how lovely Olney is today! When you want to build a strong community as many do here, you work together. I'd love to see stores that cater to certain ethnicities...I just think they and their patrons, and store owners should want to be active within the community...what brought them here? I would hope to think it's because it is a nice stable, family friendly neighborhood with reasonably priced real estate and decent schools. If we could get Lincoln to be a school that accepts on academic merit we would be made in the shade here.

  14. #14
    Hospitalitygirl's Avatar
    Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Miss Mannersville
    Posts
    14,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayfair101 View Post
    I don't know anyone that had a problem with bilingual signs.....and OLNEY they put those signs up when Koreans were a very small minority.......look how lovely Olney is today! When you want to build a strong community as many do here, you work together. I'd love to see stores that cater to certain ethnicities...I just think they and their patrons, and store owners should want to be active within the community...what brought them here? I would hope to think it's because it is a nice stable, family friendly neighborhood with reasonably priced real estate and decent schools. If we could get Lincoln to be a school that accepts on academic merit we would be made in the shade here.
    Make no mistake about it--what draws such a business there on the Boulevard is its location, and the fact that they *do* have a community to serve, whether the rest of Mayfair and other parts of the NE patronize it or not. Please be aware that there is a stop for a Chinatown NYC bus that stops in front of the Roosevelt Mall. Why?? Because there are members of the community that use it to go back and forth to jobs in NYC.

    It's called...Supply and Demand.
    I am not the Jackass Whisperer.

  15. #15
    Mayfair101 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hospitalitygirl View Post
    Make no mistake about it--what draws such a business there on the Boulevard is its location, and the fact that they *do* have a community to serve, whether the rest of Mayfair and other parts of the NE patronize it or not. Please be aware that there is a stop for a Chinatown NYC bus that stops in front of the Roosevelt Mall. Why?? Because there are members of the community that use it to go back and forth to jobs in NYC.

    It's called...Supply and Demand.
    And they can supply it without making the neighborhood looking like a trash strewn third world mart!

  16. #16
    Hospitalitygirl's Avatar
    Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Miss Mannersville
    Posts
    14,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayfair101 View Post
    And they can supply it without making the neighborhood looking like a trash strewn third world mart!
    Which brings us back to what started this. There were accusations thrown about that 6th & Washington is a trash strewn, third-world lot, and it is not.
    I am not the Jackass Whisperer.

  17. #17
    chrissy72w is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    137

    Default

    So how fresh is their fish?

  18. #18
    Captain Awesome's Avatar
    Captain Awesome is offline Vote Quimby
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mayfair
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hospitalitygirl View Post
    Is it really terribly different than the hubbub raised by nearby residents over this place well before it became operational...and on so many issues? Really...the language signs were going to be written in?

    Please, if there is a broad stroke here, it's with regard to the myriad (non) issues raised by people. Even the trash at 6th & Washington---NOT the issue some wished it would be.
    No, it isn't, nor does that make it right. Accusing the majority of people who live in a neighborhood of being racist is just as bad.
    "Genius is the ability to say a profound thing in a simple way."
    -Charles Bukowski

  19. #19
    caL's Avatar
    caL
    caL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,630

    Default

    I get that there are people on this thread who live in a bubble and think diversity is great because they read it in a textbook. But I don't think it's going out on a limb to say that HGirl isn't one of them. The fact of the matter is that there's nothing inherently ghetto about an Asian Market. It's not a pawn shop or a methadone clinic. Hell, Wal-Marts are more ghetto than this market. Obviously you have every right to make sure the managers maintain the property but the same can be said for any business. Maybe the market won't make it and JamZ could build a second rink.

  20. #20
    MuscleHead's Avatar
    MuscleHead is offline Paulista
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bells Corner
    Posts
    1,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by City Man View Post
    I hear the fish here is good and inexpensive. Has anyone gone?
    I just saw this thread, haven't been on for a while.

    The fish is very fresh and the prices are very reasonable. I stop there 2-3 times a week and get fish for dinner. At first it was a bit intimidating because of the language barrier but now that I'm familiar with the guys and they know me it's not a problem at all. There is always a nice selection, you can even choose live fish from a tank.

    The produce selection is also terrific. You'll find produce here that isn't always available at your supermarket or Produce Junction. They always have great watercress, which I love, baby bok choy, beautiful snow peas and chayote squash.

    At times I've had questions about various items and had difficulty finding someone who speaks English clearly. There's a young man who works at a customer service area at the front of the store who is very polite and helpful. If he doesn't know the answer to your question he will do his best to find out for you. They have a very helpful and eager to please staff. At times the language barrier can be very funny. A few weeks ago i was checking out and an Asian woman, who didn't speak English very well, was training an Indian woman as a cashier. After she told me my total she went a few feet away where they had a large display of different types of soy sauce. I thought she was trying to sell me some and I didn't want any. She kept insisting that I choose one and I kept refusing. Finally a Hispanic man behind me yelled out that she's trying to give me a free bottle of soy sauce. They were running a promotion.

    You'll see many different kinds of people there, not just Asian. Go on a Saturday morning and it will be very crowded, there will be many Hispanics and Indians there also. Weekends can be extremely crowded. Go try it out, you'll love the fish and find yourself shopping there frequently.

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2