Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mixiboi is offline Philly Remixed

Default So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

SO, yeah, another year has gone by, and while I enjoy my time in the Northeast section of Philadelphia, It was time to move on.

Tho, I did learn a lot about an area that I always imagine was a lot smaller and wasn't really that interesting, but to reality it is an area that is part of Philly's historical image to its urban clashing of generations.

In the end, I can say this, it wasn't that bad as I thought it would be living up there as I imagine the Roosevelt Boulevard as Philly's Great Wall of China, and I will kinda miss it, specially the Russian Target, and the El.

So yeah, enjoy your flashing blue lights, parking wars, and graffitti.

Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator

Where were you relatively speaking, and where to next?
    I am not the Jackass Whisperer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hospitalitygirl View Post
    Where were you relatively speaking, and where to next?
    I was, relatively speaking, in that area between Frankford Terminal and Mayfair. Now I'm in relatively speaking, Manayunk, tho I'd say its more Roxborough, but I can't get a straight answer from any maps. So I'll stick with Manayunk.

I'm on an exploration kick right now, living in places that I always thought were legendary myths that didn't exactly exist because it wasn't on the BSL or MFL route. After living in Old City and then Northern Liberties for 12 years of my life, it quite refreshing to be somewhere different.

seand is offline Senior Member

Well its a good thing you left. You sound like the kind of riff raff I heard a Boulevard subway would bring in and ruin NE. ;-)

Mayfair is offline Since 1929

I think you'll enjoy life in Roxboro / Manayunk.

I've worked out that way before, and it really is a nice area. Lots to do, and most are within walking distance. Parking can be a biotch, and walking "The Wall" is intense, but it's a good workout. All in all, I think you'll enjoy it out there. I know I did.

Leave the camera - Lose the LIGHT

http://www.philadelphiaspeaks.com/fo...frankford.html

Weakness as in complaining is easy; getting up off your duff and doing something positive may be tougher...but it's more rewarding.

desolate is offline Double spaced

If you though Frankford and Harbison were a pain to drive on.

Welcome to Ridge and Henry.

Enjoy Rox, it's a lot like the "west" side of the NE along Tookany up to Somerton.
    I'm not seeing all these supposed bikes in all these million dollar bike lanes.

Mayfair is offline Since 1929

Quote Originally Posted by desolate View Post
    If you though Frankford and Harbison were a pain to drive on.

Welcome to Ridge and Henry.

Enjoy Rox, it's a lot like the "west" side of the NE along Tookany up to Somerton.
    I agree. Ridge can be a PITA. Henry's not TOO bad though.
    Comparing Rox to Somerton - that's pretty much dead on!
    A lot of our Philly's finest live out there as well.

Leave the camera - Lose the LIGHT

http://www.philadelphiaspeaks.com/fo...frankford.html

Weakness as in complaining is easy; getting up off your duff and doing something positive may be tougher...but it's more rewarding.

xanthus is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mixiboi View Post
    SO, yeah, another year has gone by, and while I enjoy my time in the Northeast section of Philadelphia, It was time to move on.

Tho, I did learn a lot about an area that I always imagine was a lot smaller and wasn't really that interesting, but to reality it is an area that is part of Philly's historical image to its urban clashing of generations.

In the end, I can say this, it wasn't that bad as I thought it would be living up there as I imagine the Roosevelt Boulevard as Philly's Great Wall of China, and I will kinda miss it, specially the Russian Target, and the El.

So yeah, enjoy your flashing blue lights, parking wars, and graffitti.
    Enjoyed the Douglas Adams reference. It hung in my mind much in the same way bricks don't.

Thanks guys, and yeah Ridge Ave is something else. If you aren't out of here by 7:45 AM it backs up for miles....I thought Roosevelt Blvd. was bad. it has nothing on the construction they are doing to make Ridge Ave to 76/Kelly Drive/Lincoln drive better.

And you know how flat Philly is? I guess Manayunk makes up for that, times 10. I could walk the entire Center City proper and my legs wouldn't hurt as bad as trying to go up one of these hills.

lemko is offline Senior Member

Thanks guys, and yeah Ridge Ave is something else. If you aren't out of here by 7:45 AM it backs up for miles....I thought Roosevelt Blvd. was bad. it has nothing on the construction they are doing to make Ridge Ave to 76/Kelly Drive/Lincoln drive better.

And you know how flat Philly is? I guess Manayunk makes up for that, times 10. I could walk the entire Center City proper and my legs wouldn't hurt as bad as trying to go up one of these hills.
    Manayunk reminds me of San Francisco per the hilly terrain. Some of the streets in SF were so steep, there were steps cut into the sidewalks.

NE19149 is offline (^!^)

Quote Originally Posted by lemko View Post
    Manayunk reminds me of San Francisco per the hilly terrain. Some of the streets in SF were so steep, there were steps cut into the sidewalks.
    And SF's "California St".... ugh.. a bitch to walk...__/ up.

xanthus is offline Senior Member

I can recall the first time I was in Manayunk as a kid. I couldn't believe I was still in Philly.

I thought about your reference to Philly being flat and have to say I never thought of it that way. Stand at Broad and Somerville and look south on Broad. Definite grade there.

I'm back..shut up.

Bye.
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Consultant. Twitter: @Sdlaugh

Captain Awesome is offline Vote Quimby

Godspeed.
    "Genius is the ability to say a profound thing in a simple way."
    -Charles Bukowski

NJbound is offline Guest

I was, relatively speaking, in that area between Frankford Terminal and Mayfair.

My old hood. We may have been neighbors Enjoy your new neighborhood

billy ross is offline Senior Member

What part of the city are you originally from?

I'm back..shut up.

Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by billy ross View Post
    What part of the city are you originally from?
    That is hard to say, I guess its a matter of where I lived the longest.

I started in Mt Airy at Gowen ave from the late 80s to 1995. Then moved to 5th and Girard(Northern Liberties before it was cool) till 1996 then some drama happen and moved to 2nd and Arch in Old City from 1995 to 1999. Then back to 5th and Girard from 1999 to 2009 when I moved out and moved to Levick st and Tabor Ave for most of 2009 and then moved to Saul st near FTC in 2009 to 2010 then to Manayunk on Hermit st from 2010 to 2012.

Now here I am back in the NE....more permanently, since we just bought a foreclosed house for cheap and fixed it up real nice for the next oh, ten years.

So originally, my heart belongs to Northern Liberties for 10 years, but my best memory is Old City during the 1996 blizzard...
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Consultant. Twitter: @Sdlaugh

Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator

That is hard to say, I guess its a matter of where I lived the longest.

I started in Mt Airy at Gowen ave from the late 80s to 1995. Then moved to 5th and Girard(Northern Liberties before it was cool) till 1996 then some drama happen and moved to 2nd and Arch in Old City from 1995 to 1999. Then back to 5th and Girard from 1999 to 2009 when I moved out and moved to Levick st and Tabor Ave for most of 2009 and then moved to Saul st near FTC in 2009 to 2010 then to Manayunk on Hermit st from 2010 to 2012.

Now here I am back in the NE....more permanently, since we just bought a foreclosed house for cheap and fixed it up real nice for the next oh, ten years.

So originally, my heart belongs to Northern Liberties for 10 years, but my best memory is Old City during the 1996 blizzard...
    I've been spending LOTS of time in the NE, essentially living there for the past 4 weeks, and continuing for I'm not sure how much longer, taking care of my parents. It's really not bad at all, and certainly not what some of the whiners on here would have you believe. Congratulations on the new house.
    I am not the Jackass Whisperer.

PhilaCap is offline Senior Member

There are nice parts of the NE and there are crappy parts. It's way too big a place to make generalizations.

Debbie1125 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hospitalitygirl View Post
    It's really not bad at all, and certainly not what some of the whiners on here would have you believe.
    Manayunk is the same way with whining about the college students. Sure there are some that are rowdy jackasses. For the most part though they're just out having fun.