Register
+ Reply to Thread
    Joeolney is offline Senior Member

Default Question about propane grill

Hey All. New user of a gas grill. Can you just let the full tank sit out in the sun all day? I've read that you should get a cover to prevent it from overheating. Since I've noticed a ton of these things around Mayfair, I was wondering what others do.

thanks,

joe

slickvic277 is offline Senior Member

It will be fine, the cover is for the grill it's self. I still have gas left from last summer and it sat outside all this time.

Think about it, the tank would heat way faster with a heavy black cover on it then it would without one. Don't over think it, just crank it up and enjoy.
    Last edited by slickvic277; 05-30-2010 at 06:37 PM.

cerberus413 is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Joeolney View Post
    Hey All. New user of a gas grill. Can you just let the full tank sit out in the sun all day? I've read that you should get a cover to prevent it from overheating. Since I've noticed a ton of these things around Mayfair, I was wondering what others do.

thanks,

joe
    Propane tanks have pressure valves that will blow off if the pressure gets to high....you are fine.

guzzijason is offline Mostly Human

Quote Originally Posted by cerberus413 View Post
    Propane tanks have pressure valves that will blow off if the pressure gets to high....you are fine.
    What he said. I saw it in action once when someone had a tank in the trunk of their car, and then left the car sitting in the summer sun. Sounded like someone was trapped in the trunk and periodically kicking. Sort of freaked us out until the trunk was finally opened and we realized what it was.

You'll notice that propane tanks are normally painted white, or some other light color... this is to reflect the sun. Keep it clean so the paint can do it's job. You'll have no problem keeping it in the sun.

__Jason

slickvic277 is offline Senior Member

it's not that the gas gets so hot that it explodes, the high temperature causes the gas to expand and then the gas will leak or even blow the valve off. The gas is heavier then the air so it will sink. Outside this usually isn't a problem but left indoors the gas will be "trapped" and an ignition source like a cigarette or an electrical spark could cause an explosion but even this is unlikely.

Relax, people keep propane tanks outdoors in all types of summer heat there's really nothing to worry about it.

Joeolney is offline Senior Member

thanks for the replies everyone. I had seen an insulated cover just for the tank that is supposed to keep it cool. it was $25 and of course the company was saying how much it was needed

Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Joeolney View Post
    thanks for the replies everyone. I had seen an insulated cover just for the tank that is supposed to keep it cool. it was $25 and of course the company was saying how much it was needed
    I have had gas grills and propane tanks around for years, normally stored right out on the decks. I have never had a problem. Just close it tight when you're finished.
    I am not the Jackass Whisperer.

mixiboi is online now Philly Remixed

This thread just reminded me that I miss King of the Hill...

TwilightMom is offline Senior Member

Loved that show!

OldMaestro is offline Members Only Jacket

Quote Originally Posted by mixiboi View Post
    This thread just reminded me that I miss King of the Hill...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwilightMom View Post
    Loved that show!

Yup...

PhillyKev is offline Super Troll

As mentioned above, propane is heavier than air. Fine to just leave out on a deck, but you should keep it away from any doors/windows to the inside. If there is a leak it could seep inside. Highly unlikely but better safe than sorry.

citizen_arrest is offline Let's Go Flyers!

Speaking of propane tanks, I have a gas grill that uses the small black propane tanks. How do you dispose of them when empty? I'm afraid if I put it out in the recycle bin, It will blow up the truck when crushed.

Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by citizen_arrest View Post
    Speaking of propane tanks, I have a gas grill that uses the small black propane tanks. How do you dispose of them when empty? I'm afraid if I put it out in the recycle bin, It will blow up the truck when crushed.
    Don't put it in the trash--instead, take it to Home Depot or Lowe's or the place on the Boulevard that refills your own tanks. (It used to be the U-Haul)
    I am not the Jackass Whisperer.

jazzcat is offline Senior Member

Or perhaps just use a kindled, gentler, charcoal grill.