Register
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Joeolney is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    273

    Default Question about propane grill

    Hey All. New user of a gas grill. Can you just let the full tank sit out in the sun all day? I've read that you should get a cover to prevent it from overheating. Since I've noticed a ton of these things around Mayfair, I was wondering what others do.

    thanks,

    joe

  2. #2
    slickvic277 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    560

    Default

    It will be fine, the cover is for the grill it's self. I still have gas left from last summer and it sat outside all this time.

    Think about it, the tank would heat way faster with a heavy black cover on it then it would without one. Don't over think it, just crank it up and enjoy.
    Last edited by slickvic277; 05-30-2010 at 06:37 PM.

  3. #3
    cerberus413 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joeolney View Post
    Hey All. New user of a gas grill. Can you just let the full tank sit out in the sun all day? I've read that you should get a cover to prevent it from overheating. Since I've noticed a ton of these things around Mayfair, I was wondering what others do.

    thanks,

    joe
    Propane tanks have pressure valves that will blow off if the pressure gets to high....you are fine.

  4. #4
    guzzijason's Avatar
    guzzijason is offline Mostly Human
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The land of wind and ghosts
    Posts
    1,824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cerberus413 View Post
    Propane tanks have pressure valves that will blow off if the pressure gets to high....you are fine.
    What he said. I saw it in action once when someone had a tank in the trunk of their car, and then left the car sitting in the summer sun. Sounded like someone was trapped in the trunk and periodically kicking. Sort of freaked us out until the trunk was finally opened and we realized what it was.

    You'll notice that propane tanks are normally painted white, or some other light color... this is to reflect the sun. Keep it clean so the paint can do it's job. You'll have no problem keeping it in the sun.

    __Jason

  5. #5
    slickvic277 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    560

    Default

    it's not that the gas gets so hot that it explodes, the high temperature causes the gas to expand and then the gas will leak or even blow the valve off. The gas is heavier then the air so it will sink. Outside this usually isn't a problem but left indoors the gas will be "trapped" and an ignition source like a cigarette or an electrical spark could cause an explosion but even this is unlikely.

    Relax, people keep propane tanks outdoors in all types of summer heat there's really nothing to worry about it.

  6. #6
    Joeolney is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    273

    Default

    thanks for the replies everyone. I had seen an insulated cover just for the tank that is supposed to keep it cool. it was $25 and of course the company was saying how much it was needed

  7. #7
    Hospitalitygirl's Avatar
    Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Miss Mannersville
    Posts
    14,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joeolney View Post
    thanks for the replies everyone. I had seen an insulated cover just for the tank that is supposed to keep it cool. it was $25 and of course the company was saying how much it was needed
    I have had gas grills and propane tanks around for years, normally stored right out on the decks. I have never had a problem. Just close it tight when you're finished.
    I am not the Jackass Whisperer.

  8. #8
    mixiboi's Avatar
    mixiboi is online now Philly Remixed
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawncrest
    Posts
    9,419

    Default

    This thread just reminded me that I miss King of the Hill...

  9. #9
    TwilightMom's Avatar
    TwilightMom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tacony
    Posts
    373

    Default

    Loved that show!

  10. #10
    OldMaestro is offline Members Only Jacket
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Northeast Philly
    Posts
    2,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mixiboi View Post
    This thread just reminded me that I miss King of the Hill...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwilightMom View Post
    Loved that show!

    Yup...

  11. #11
    PhillyKev's Avatar
    PhillyKev is offline Super Troll
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,153

    Default

    As mentioned above, propane is heavier than air. Fine to just leave out on a deck, but you should keep it away from any doors/windows to the inside. If there is a leak it could seep inside. Highly unlikely but better safe than sorry.

  12. #12
    citizen_arrest is offline Let's Go Flyers!
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Speaking of propane tanks, I have a gas grill that uses the small black propane tanks. How do you dispose of them when empty? I'm afraid if I put it out in the recycle bin, It will blow up the truck when crushed.

  13. #13
    Hospitalitygirl's Avatar
    Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Miss Mannersville
    Posts
    14,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by citizen_arrest View Post
    Speaking of propane tanks, I have a gas grill that uses the small black propane tanks. How do you dispose of them when empty? I'm afraid if I put it out in the recycle bin, It will blow up the truck when crushed.
    Don't put it in the trash--instead, take it to Home Depot or Lowe's or the place on the Boulevard that refills your own tanks. (It used to be the U-Haul)
    I am not the Jackass Whisperer.

  14. #14
    jazzcat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,797

    Default

    Or perhaps just use a kindled, gentler, charcoal grill.

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2