Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    xanthus is offline Senior Member

Default Good bakery in the Northeast?

I'm looking for a good bakery in the Northeast, one that might have old-fashioned stuff like the poppyseed strudel I used to see in the old German and Jewish bakeries we used to have throughout North Philly, the Northeast, Logan and Olney.

I can think of a few that don't have that stuff, but are still great bakeries like Holmeburg Bakery on Frankford Avenue and Shela's on Verree Road near Red Lion.

Any other suggestions? Need addresses or nearby intersections, too.

LindaMay is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by xanthus View Post
    I'm looking for a good bakery in the Northeast, one that might have old-fashioned stuff like the poppyseed strudel I used to see in the old German and Jewish bakeries we used to have throughout North Philly, the Northeast, Logan and Olney.

I can think of a few that don't have that stuff, but are still great bakeries like Holmeburg Bakery on Frankford Avenue and Shela's on Verree Road near Red Lion.

Map of Haegele's Bakery, 4164 Barnett St, Philadelphia, PA 19135 on Philadelphia Citysearch

wislad is offline Professional Skeptic
    Beautiful Downtown Southwestern Wissinoming

Haegele's is the best!

caL
    caL is offline Senior Member

Hesh's on Castor, around Faunce/Napfle.

Scheanks in Fox Chase, Rhawn and Verree.

Polar Cub is offline Better than a cat

Hesh's for the cakes, cookies, etc. Lipkin's for the rye bread, and other seeded goodies.
    Outside the city in Rockledge is Danish Bakers. They're good if you like a really nice chocolate chip pound cake.

Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Cub View Post
    Hesh's for the cakes, cookies, etc. Lipkin's for the rye bread, and other seeded goodies.
    Outside the city in Rockledge is Danish Bakers. They're good if you like a really nice chocolate chip pound cake.
    I used to always LOVE that chocolate chip cake at Hesh's. I think my family still buys for birthdays, too.
    I am not the Jackass Whisperer.

Cya
    Cya is offline Don't get me started

I was going to suggest Haegele's Bakery too. A really cute little spot. I bought a bunch of cookies/pasteries for a nursing station a few months ago and it was really hard to choose from their selection. Good stuff.

OldMaestro is offline Members Only Jacket

Hesh's and Haegele's. You can't go wrong with either of those.

Default Thanks everyone

I asked a buddy who was on his way to Frankford last week to detour to Haegele's, and brought back some good stuff. Hesh's will be tried next. Good tips. Thanks everyone.

What specifically are you looking for: sweets or breads? And, how far are you willing to go? Add another to your list--Leonardo's Bakery, 183 Bustleton Pike, Feasterville, 215-357-0357. Terrific breads, wonderful pizza (in the bakery section, not so much the pizza place in the back); baked goods that when last I was able to eat them were really quite good. And a selection of cheeses and prosciutto and other lunch meats.

xxxTHX1138xxx is offline Banned

Stocks in still number one in my book.

slickvic277 is offline Senior Member

For sweets I like Giegers (spl?), Holmesburg bakery,Stocks is good. Breads I like the Italian bakery next to the Dunkin Donuts and Primo's on Frankford ave. I think it's called Nuno Ugo's. They have great bread and other goodies too.

wislad is offline Professional Skeptic
    Beautiful Downtown Southwestern Wissinoming

I, too, like Stock's brick pound cake (plain with the white icing). I don't like their pound cake like when you order a birthday cake from them. It seems dry to me. The brick pound cake is always nice and moist. Other than their pound cake though, they don't have much else in the way of variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Hospitalitygirl View Post
    What specifically are you looking for: sweets or breads? And, how far are you willing to go? Add another to your list--Leonardo's Bakery, 183 Bustleton Pike, Feasterville, 215-357-0357. Terrific breads, wonderful pizza (in the bakery section, not so much the pizza place in the back); baked goods that when last I was able to eat them were really quite good. And a selection of cheeses and prosciutto and other lunch meats.
    Poppyseed strudel -- packed, moist and sweet -- is my primary search item. There was a Jewish bakery at 9th and Rockland years ago that really had the best in the city.

There's a Polish bakery down on Richmond Street between Allegheny and Indianna that almost hits it for me. Packed with poppyseed, but the filling is sort of dry and bland.

Well-made cherry pies, the kind stuffed with cherries, not cherry-flavored gunk, also are high on my list.

Also anything stuffed with walnuts. On that count, I can recommend the walnut croissants at Shela's on Verree Road above Red Lion. It's a little Russian bakery. Some good stuff in there. Very good Danish.

God, I'm getting a sugar rush just thinking of this stuff. I gotta go lie down.

xxxTHX1138xxx is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wislad View Post
    I, too, like Stock's brick pound cake (plain with the white icing). I don't like their pound cake like when you order a birthday cake from them. It seems dry to me. The brick pound cake is always nice and moist. Other than their pound cake though, they don't have much else in the way of variety.
    Hmmm...just had a birthday cake from them on Saturday and it seemed fine.
    I think pound cake in general seems to be on the dry side.

Poppyseed strudel -- packed, moist and sweet -- is my primary search item. There was a Jewish bakery at 9th and Rockland years ago that really had the best in the city.

There's a Polish bakery down on Richmond Street between Allegheny and Indianna that almost hits it for me. Packed with poppyseed, but the filling is sort of dry and bland.

Well-made cherry pies, the kind stuffed with cherries, not cherry-flavored gunk, also are high on my list.

Also anything stuffed with walnuts. On that count, I can recommend the walnut croissants at Shela's on Verree Road above Red Lion. It's a little Russian bakery. Some good stuff in there. Very good Danish.

Well in that case--have you stopped in at Bell's Market? Bell's Corner shopping center- and they seem to have some of that.

Mayfair101 is offline Senior Member

Would that be Louie Liss bakery?

Polar Cub is offline Better than a cat

Quote Originally Posted by Mayfair101 View Post
    Would that be Louie Liss bakery?
    You wish.

They had the best rye breads.

jedi mind fart is offline Capt. funktastic

Geigers on Frankford and Unruh
    "Cripple Tax"? Mayfair Meat., for the second time, I must tell you,
    SHUT UP!
    You are an absolute PIG.

So now I am standing on the corner of 4th and Shunk wit a bag of dicks.

Dog haters and cat collectors.

Welcome to DOG POOP THREAD #1,549,125 , Mayfair Meat

I wish I hardly saw hipsters anymore . OldMaestro

lemko is offline Senior Member

Schenck's on Ripley Street and Verree Road in Fox Chase.