Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast
    hammersklavier is offline A Fortnight Dead

Different developers. The ones who just knocked it down are nonprofit, apparently attached to the church across the street. Additionally, the old building was considered a sick building, and its reuse didn't fly with certain members of Temple's board (I have this on good authority from a well-known professor).
    "It was one of those moments that would have had dramatic music if my life were a movie, but instead I got a radio jingle for some kind of submarine sandwich blaring over the store's ambient stereo. Man, the movie of my life must be really low-budget." Dead Beat

Help oppose SCRUB and bring some life back to Market East! Concerned Citizens for Market East Check out my new blog, too!

BenDee is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
    (I have this on good authority from a well-known professor).

??

hammersklavier is offline A Fortnight Dead

lol
    "It was one of those moments that would have had dramatic music if my life were a movie, but instead I got a radio jingle for some kind of submarine sandwich blaring over the store's ambient stereo. Man, the movie of my life must be really low-budget." Dead Beat

Help oppose SCRUB and bring some life back to Market East! Concerned Citizens for Market East Check out my new blog, too!

Sharkfood is offline Senior Member

Heard a speech by president theobald. Private development is going to take care of the area south of campus. Temple's focus will be to the north. New master plan will propose bridging the 1.2 mile gap between main campus and the health sciences campus.

Fecteau03 is offline Member

"New master plan will propose bridging the 1.2 mile gap between main campus and the health sciences campus."
    Hah. I'll believe it when I see it. Show me how a university that's almost entirely dependent on Commonwealth funds is ever going to build a linear mile worth of development. The only way that will happen is if the private sector steps up and builds private dorms marching up Broad Street. The University can't handle this on their own.

President Theobald is hot for football. Wants to build a football stadium on campus or nearby. The closed William Penn High School (Broad & Thompson) is being mentioned as a possible site.

Baloo is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkfood View Post
    President Theobald is hot for football. Wants to build a football stadium on campus or nearby. The closed William Penn High School (Broad & Thompson) is being mentioned as a possible site.
    Well, no doubt that the brand-new Liacorus Center helps Temple Basketball's numbers. The football program is a joke in comparison, and despite how close the Linc is via subway, nothing beats the Liacorus Center being within walking distance from everyone living in the area. A nearby stadium could definitely help TU's football numbers.

Fecteau03, Temple may be funded by the commonwealth, but they have the bankroll to buy up everything around them. Already bought the old MAB paint store, parking lot, and house next door to the store on Broad and Diamond, the old Russel Conwell House as well, and numerous other properties recently. Temple's swallowing up properties on Broad, and since they can't really expand east of 12th street due to the housing projects, they've got their eyes set on everything north of Susquehanna and west of 12th St. It'll be interesting to see what this campus will look like in 5 years.

MNG1324 is offline Senior Member
    Harrisburg/Center City weekend Condo owner

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkfood View Post
    This could also just be a negotiation ploy with the owners of the Linc since their lease runs out after 2015. I doubt they will build a stadium on campus but stranger things have happened.

Fecteau03 is offline Member

Didn't Temple already have a stadium that they sold years ago? This is the thing about universities. They bring on new presidents - and instead of sticking with a consistent vision, each one has to put his or her own stamp on the campus. It seems like they inevitably end up circling around the the same ideas over again. Not saying a football stadium isn't a good idea, but God, a little forethought please.

Quote Originally Posted by Fecteau03 View Post
    Show me how a university that's almost entirely dependent on Commonwealth funds is ever going to build a linear mile worth of development.
    That's not true. Temple only receives about 10% of their budget from the Commonwealth.

Definitely gotta agree with you about connecting the 2 campuses. There's some serious bad news between Main and Health Sciences, not to mention the Amtrak tracks the create a huge barrier. It's not going to happen in that direction. South, towards the city might be more realistic, but that's largely out of the universities hands.

eldondre is online now Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sometimesilie View Post
    That's not true. Temple only receives about 10% of their budget from the Commonwealth.

Definitely gotta agree with you about connecting the 2 campuses. There's some serious bad news between Main and Health Sciences, not to mention the Amtrak tracks the create a huge barrier. It's not going to happen in that direction. South, towards the city might be more realistic, but that's largely out of the universities hands.
    the amtrak station could be a unifier rather than a divider if it provided better train service
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

John Goodman is online now Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fecteau03 View Post
    Didn't Temple already have a stadium that they sold years ago? This is the thing about universities. They bring on new presidents - and instead of sticking with a consistent vision, each one has to put his or her own stamp on the campus. It seems like they inevitably end up circling around the the same ideas over again. Not saying a football stadium isn't a good idea, but God, a little forethought please.
    that was in cheltenham... not on campus

Lakey is offline Senior Member

Temple stadium was in the city, Vernon Road and Michener Avenue, though very close to Cheltenham. The decision to get rid of the stadium made sense and really wasn't from lack of foresight. Temple tried to acquire a large tract of land across Cheltenham Avenue from the stadium in the 1940s. When those several attempts failed they expanded main campus. When Temple decided to return to the University Division in football in 1970, the stadium was in disrepair and the only dedicated parking in a the immediate vicinity of mostly row houses was a grass lot between Pickering Street and Cheltenham Avenue. It was fine when Temple's schedule featured Gettysburg and Rhode Island, but never would have worked for the equivalent of today's FBS football.

Temple's lease at the Linc expires at the end of the 2017 season. FWIW, I have a friend who is a senior Administrator at an ACC university who has good connections at Temple because his father is a former professor at TU. He's heard that though Theobald is using an on-campus stadium as a negotiating tool with the Eagles that it's as much a contingency as anything. Word on the street is that Theobald's personal preference is to build the stadium on-campus. As my friend is quick to note, it's absurd how important sports are for branding state universities, but the facts are what they are. Sports, football especially, are important. Theobald wants to align Temple with a different group of peer univsities than its current ones and intends to use football as part of his strategy to achieve that goal. It remains to be seen whether the strategy will work.

John Goodman is online now Senior Member

So he wants temple in the acc

Thats awesome so do I

Word is a couple of major off campus apartment buildings are in dire financial straits.

Diamond Green, 10th & Diamond: 55% occupancy; room rates have been cut from $750 at the start of the season to $450 with utilities included and a free iPad.

The Edge, 15th & Oxford: Lost their lease with Temple when the new dorm, Morgan Hall, was finished. Bad layouts and overpriced product. Have not cut their prices.
    Worse occupancy than Diamond Green.

Both buildings are for sale. Diamond Green is asking $30 mil.

Fishtown Phan is offline Senior Member

I am currently a Temple Student and honestly the issue was that they were too expensive and restrictive for me to even consider. The high end for new construction triplexes is generally 650 a month. I am living in a rehabbed row on a decent block and I pay $475. That includes our own washer and dryer, full kitchen with dishwasher and I can have some friends over if I want to.

Here you go. If anyone's got $31 million lying around, you can own Diamond Green:

Diamond Green | Rittenhouse Realty Advisors Philadelphia

Looks like CityPaper posted a story online but then immediately took it down:

Blogs :: The Naked City :: Philadelphia City Paper

MNG1324 is offline Senior Member
    Harrisburg/Center City weekend Condo owner

I tried to bring that article up 5 times today. Did you get to read it before it went Jimmy Hoffa on us?

Quote Originally Posted by MNG1324 View Post
    I tried to bring that article up 5 times today. Did you get to read it before it went Jimmy Hoffa on us?
    Unfortunately, no. But I understand it mentioned both Diamond Green and the Edge.