Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    John Goodman is offline Senior Member

Default in your opinion whats the worst part of north philly?

to me the area around the couple block vicinity of 11th and cumberland seems to be the worst. it has the high rise twin tower projects,that huge park and then bad block after bad block. a cop just got shot at near there at 12th and huntingdon the other night.

thoth is offline I LOOK LIKE THIS

It's all relative to your personal experiences, what time of day, who happened to be out on the street, etc. Statistically the most dangerous section is the area immediately Northwest of Temple, bounded roughly by Broad, 20th, Susquehanna and Lehigh.

I lived there for a year under the shield of Temple, and had many friends with off campus apts in this area. It was rough, but it was still home and I became comfortable with it. Never personally had problems, although obviously the criminal element is very real.

There are other areas that are statically less crime-ridden, but which I paradoxically feel less comfortable in because I was less familiar with the area. Parts of Strawberry Mansion and the Gurney St "flea market" (drug market) in the traditionally defined badlands (West Kensington) stick out in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodman View Post
    to me the area around the couple block vicinity of 11th and cumberland seems to be the worst. it has the high rise twin tower projects,that huge park and then bad block after bad block. a cop just got shot at near there at 12th and huntingdon the other night.

ArcticSplash is offline Dixie Normus

Two areas stick out in my mind...

Hunting Park and West Kensington, beginning just west of the Huntington EL station and heading deeper NW from that point. Those are really bad areas.

eldondre is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MayfairMeat View Post

Hunting Park and West Kensington, beginning just west of the Huntington EL station and heading deeper NW from that point. Those are really bad areas.
    that section fo west kensington is rough, but I don't think it's by any means the worst area of north philly. I'd put that in some parts of strawberry mansion or further north in kensington, say, around indiana (north of the tracks and lehigh). 11th & cumberland looks pretty rugged and is in the highest crime district of the city AFAIK. boarded up houses everywhere...but billy ross said it's a well run highrise project so I'd guess it's surrounded by low rise PHA...in fact, they are building brand new homes in that area.
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

PhillyKev is offline Super Troll

Two areas stick out in my mind. The north part and the Philly part.

desolate is offline Double spaced

Exclamation

cwd22 is offline Senior Member

The area NW of Temple seems to look worse than it is. Walking by 16th and York by yourself when the sun's going down certainly isn't pleasant, but I've never felt scared in that situation. Ridge Ave. above Francisville is probably the most unnerving part of North Philly that I've been too, practically every building/lot is vacant and there's a lot of people loitering.

Edit: As I was writing this Desolate posted that map, seems to support my gut feeling.
    Last edited by cwd22; 08-17-2009 at 07:28 PM.

eldondre is offline Moderator

ridge ave looks positively third world. It's also where I've witnessed the most police activity on my bike and where I've seen the most problem people on a bus. From roughly francisville to strawberry mansion
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

raider.adam is offline Senior Member

Man. I have lived there for so long, I forget how much I am in the thick of it sometimes.

ArcticSplash is offline Dixie Normus

The thing with Point Breeze is that the area is so small it could easily be fixed by opening a new police district there and add a mixture of new officers and reassigning existing ones.

It would take a few months of doing a "parachute drop" similar to what Street had Johnson do to attack the gun battles over in Southwest Phila.... just deluge that area with officers to the point you see residents complaining of racism because there's so many police sitting around watching everything they're doing.

At the same time, the City should suspend the tax sales in all parts of the City and just work really really hard on foreclosures and teardowns in PB and do whatever it takes to encourage gentrification in that area.

Identify all the property owners who are sitting on vacancies and slap them with a land-use style vacancy rate on their property tax to get them to sell quickly, identify slumlord properties and get those tenants out of those houses and into other ones in the same area with mortgage grants.

Also it would help tons if ZBA/PC also blocked other civics from bitching concerning Point Breeze. IOW, BVUCA should have absolutely no say in PB with respect to anything.

Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator

The thing with Point Breeze is that the area is so small it could easily be fixed by opening a new police district there and add a mixture of new officers and reassigning existing ones.

It would take a few months of doing a "parachute drop" similar to what Street had Johnson do to attack the gun battles over in Southwest Phila.... just deluge that area with officers to the point you see residents complaining of racism because there's so many police sitting around watching everything they're doing.

At the same time, the City should suspend the tax sales in all parts of the City and just work really really hard on foreclosures and teardowns in PB and do whatever it takes to encourage gentrification in that area.

Identify all the property owners who are sitting on vacancies and slap them with a land-use style vacancy rate on their property tax to get them to sell quickly, identify slumlord properties and get those tenants out of those houses and into other ones in the same area with mortgage grants.

Also it would help tons if ZBA/PC also blocked other civics from bitching concerning Point Breeze. IOW, BVUCA should have absolutely no say in PB with respect to anything.
    And you'll just push that crime over the border to another area.
    I am not the Jackass Whisperer.

Sharkfood is offline Senior Member

A few comments are in order:

1. The 2001-2005 shooting map is now 4 years out of date and is no longer useful in assessing current conditions. For example, the area that I call "Stanton" (north of Susquehanna, Broad to about 20th) has improved dramatically, especially on the blocks closer to Broad. This used to be homicide central. This year, there have been just a handful of homicides - - one at Cumberland & 18th, one on Broad St., that I can recall.

2. I agree that there is something in the air at 12th & Huntingdon (Fotterall Square). There do seem to be a lot of incidents around there. And that's where I think the water department worker was shot in broad daylight.

3. The worst area left in Lower North Philadelphia (below Susquehanna) is unquestionably the housing project at 24th & Jefferson. This continues to be a magnet for crime in an otherwise improving area. Go a little east (Temple) or a little west (Brewerytown) and things improve dramatically.

4. My vote for the worst area of North Philly probably goes to upper Strawberry Mansion (west of the Amtrak tracks and south of Lehigh). Somewhere around 24th & Cumberland is probably as rough as it gets.

drewrob23 is offline Senior Member

Who knew that all this time I've been living in the belly of the beast. I'm from 22nd and Lehigh and currently I live around 28th and Segley Ave. I've always felt that everything east of Broad St. was not my area to travel. At least on my side of Broad St. I know what blocks aren't the best to walk down. Then again when you live in N. Philly you're surrounded by bridges on almost all sides.

phillysw is offline Senior Member

I drive and bike through North Philly often. West Kensington/Fairhill has a lot of drug activity and associated crime, but doesn't register too high with the creepiness factor. There are people out and about, lots of Latin music blaring, some very well-kept homes among the vacant lots, etc. Not that I'd want to wander around there for no reason, of course, but it doesn't strike me as the worst area.

You want creepy? Drive down York or Cumberland from 22nd to 33rd. It's completely bombed out. I know people use this comparison too often when talking about urban blight, but it really does look like a war zone around there. Lehigh Ave is busted looking, but at least the old Victorian-style houses have character and there's some foot traffic. The area just south of there gives me the heebie-jeebies (sorry drewrob!).

Feltonville/Hunting Park also makes me feel pretty uncomfortable. Maybe because it's so far off the beaten path for me and I rarely have a reason to go there. It's impossible to navigate (ever driven straight up 2nd St from Lehigh? It's a freaking maze up there) and just seems like another world to me. But then, I could say the same about sections of the NE or South Philly...

billy ross is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkfood View Post
    A few comments are in order:

1. The 2001-2005 shooting map is now 4 years out of date and is no longer useful in assessing current conditions. For example, the area that I call "Stanton" (north of Susquehanna, Broad to about 20th) has improved dramatically, especially on the blocks closer to Broad. This used to be homicide central. This year, there have been just a handful of homicides - - one at Cumberland & 18th, one on Broad St., that I can recall.

2. I agree that there is something in the air at 12th & Huntingdon (Fotterall Square). There do seem to be a lot of incidents around there. And that's where I think the water department worker was shot in broad daylight.

3. The worst area left in Lower North Philadelphia (below Susquehanna) is unquestionably the housing project at 24th & Jefferson. This continues to be a magnet for crime in an otherwise improving area. Go a little east (Temple) or a little west (Brewerytown) and things improve dramatically.

4. My vote for the worst area of North Philly probably goes to upper Strawberry Mansion (west of the Amtrak tracks and south of Lehigh). Somewhere around 24th & Cumberland is probably as rough as it gets.
    I would say that 24th and Cumberland is not in Strawberry Mansion.

Quote Originally Posted by phillysw View Post
    I drive and bike through North Philly often. West Kensington/Fairhill has a lot of drug activity and associated crime, but doesn't register too high with the creepiness factor. There are people out and about, lots of Latin music blaring, some very well-kept homes among the vacant lots, etc. Not that I'd want to wander around there for no reason, of course, but it doesn't strike me as the worst area.

You want creepy? Drive down York or Cumberland from 22nd to 33rd. It's completely bombed out. I know people use this comparison too often when talking about urban blight, but it really does look like a war zone around there. Lehigh Ave is busted looking, but at least the old Victorian-style houses have character and there's some foot traffic. The area just south of there gives me the heebie-jeebies (sorry drewrob!).
    I would agree with this. I think West Kensington is more out of control with illegal street activity, but since they are trying to attract customers I've never really felt directly threatened. The south of lehigh area, especially the weird area closer to the train tracks can be pretty spooky at times..

To inject some positive feeling into this discussion, maybe people would like to share parts of North Philly that surprised them with its lack of decay? Or at least relatively pleasant atmosphere. The sun does shine on a dog's ass once and a while, right?

I've always enjoyed Parts of Allegheny Ave from Broad to 11th, and Nicetown-Tioga west of 20th Street has some amazing homes (some definitely in advanced stages of decay, or demolished.) Still, generally quiet areas, seemed nice.

phillysw is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by thoth View Post
    To inject some positive feeling into this discussion, maybe people would like to share parts of North Philly that surprised them with its lack of decay? Or at least relatively pleasant atmosphere. The sun does shine on a dog's ass once and a while, right?

I've always enjoyed Parts of Allegheny Ave from Broad to 11th, and Nicetown-Tioga west of 20th Street has some amazing homes (some definitely in advanced stages of decay, or demolished.) Still, generally quiet areas, seemed nice.
    There are some adorable homes in West Kensington, complete with planters full of flowers, religious statues, and little fountains. Some seriously house-proud folks live in that area. There are things I really like about the neighborhood...just wish I spoke Spanish when I'm there!

Dayman is offline Champion of the Sun

The street I live on @ Hancock and Westmoreland is *fairly* nice. It was especially so when the 25th was just down the street, and now a nice drug market has moved in on Mutter a block over, but they're looking for customers not marks. We have our share of crappy neighbors and the occasional gunshot - but during the morning it's downright pleasant. Some people do take pride in their houses.

Valley Twin is offline Chief Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by phillysw View Post
    There are some adorable homes in West Kensington, complete with planters full of flowers, religious statues, and little fountains.
    You gotta love a little Mary-on-the-halfshell in the front yard!