Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    eldondre is online now Moderator

Default State Office Deal going through

while it's sad to see this mini-office district depleted, esp when there's so much space for new buildings, the retail is certainly a welcome change
    A local developer is moving ahead with plans to purchase the state office building at Broad and Spring Garden Streets in Philadelphia, and turn it into rental apartments.

Developer Bart Blatstein was pleased that City Council's Rules Committee on Monday signed off on changing the zoning of the state office building (shown in artist's rending above) so he can remake it into a 290-unit apartment building:

"It's a great opportunity for a re-use of what we believe is an historic building."

Blatstein (in file photo at right) told Council members he also plans to have retail outlets at the ground level:

"There's very very little retail. North Philadelphia needs a huge amount of retail to service the community."

Blatstein says the apartments should ready 18 months after the state vacates the premises. State offices are moving to other parts of center city.

Further down the road, Blatstein plans a second tower at the site with 185 additional apartments.
    KYW Newsradio 1060 Philadelphia - Apartment Building Plan for Broad & Spring Garden Sts. Moves Ahead

Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator

But I thought what Philadelphia lacked was enough affordable apartments; won't more supply help the demand? Maybe this will push some demand for the office building set further north? Doubt it but even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
    I am not the Jackass Whisperer.

five apples is offline Deacon Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Hospitalitygirl View Post
    But I thought what Philadelphia lacked was enough affordable apartments; won't more supply help the demand? Maybe this will push some demand for the office building set further north? Doubt it but even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

I wonder if affordable is going to equate to cheap. There is no way that conversion is going to be an easy one, unless done for little money.
    "No one wanted to be mayor of Philadelphia. It was a thankless job, which for the first 56 years offered an annual salary of zero. In 1745, two men turned down the position and instead accepted large fines. In 1747, Anthony Morris fled to Bucks County to hide and thus avoid notification of his election. After Morris’s disappearance, a new election was held, and William Atwood was re-elected."

raider.adam is offline Senior Member

I am glad he is doing apartments instead of condos.

ArcticSplash is offline Dixie Normus

Quote Originally Posted by raider.adam View Post
    I am glad he is doing apartments instead of condos.

Same here.

I am curious about the 2nd building that is gonna go up on the site. It looks like living near Roman will become fashionable now.

This development will put more incentives to finally fix-up the Divine Lorraine.

desolate is offline Double spaced

Quote Originally Posted by five apples View Post
    I wonder if affordable is going to equate to cheap. There is no way that conversion is going to be an easy one, unless done for little money.
    Is it just office space with cubicles?

Seems like all you need is some additional plumbing ad some partition walls.

A lot less work than an old factory or warehouse where you need to replace the entire internal utilities and then add insulation and partition walls and then bring up all the entrances and windows to code.

They did Liberty II pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by desolate View Post
    Is it just office space with cubicles?

Seems like all you need is some additional plumbing ad some partition walls.

A lot less work than an old factory or warehouse where you need to replace the entire internal utilities and then add insulation and partition walls and then bring up all the entrances and windows to code.

They did Liberty II pretty fast.
    No, it's more than that. There are conference rooms and different offices with cubicles inside of them. Just typical office building configuration. Offices.

Quote Originally Posted by MayfairMeat View Post
    Same here.

I am curious about the 2nd building that is gonna go up on the site. It looks like living near Roman will become fashionable now.

This development will put more incentives to finally fix-up the Divine Lorraine.
    they already tried to develop the DL, didn't the west poplar NAC kill it?

five apples is offline Deacon Blues

Quote Originally Posted by eldondre View Post
    they already tried to develop the DL, didn't the west poplar NAC kill it?
    They fought it, don't know if they killed it. I think they were asking for things for the neighborhood and in return got nothing at all. A bunch of freaking idiots.
    "No one wanted to be mayor of Philadelphia. It was a thankless job, which for the first 56 years offered an annual salary of zero. In 1745, two men turned down the position and instead accepted large fines. In 1747, Anthony Morris fled to Bucks County to hide and thus avoid notification of his election. After Morris’s disappearance, a new election was held, and William Atwood was re-elected."

Quote Originally Posted by five apples View Post
    They fought it, don't know if they killed it. I think they were asking for things for the neighborhood and in return got nothing at all. A bunch of freaking idiots.

NACs need to be muzzled. They're where good ideas go to die.

hammersklavier is offline A Fortnight Dead

I heard that NAC was a one-man freak show, basically the pet project of somebody with a vendetta. That one vanished after they torpedoed the last DL restoration attempt. DL needs something in it, it's got a great anchor spot: east end of wide Fairmount, southern end of arterial Ridge, central locale for Francisville and Poplar.
    "It was one of those moments that would have had dramatic music if my life were a movie, but instead I got a radio jingle for some kind of submarine sandwich blaring over the store's ambient stereo. Man, the movie of my life must be really low-budget." Dead Beat

Help oppose SCRUB and bring some life back to Market East! Concerned Citizens for Market East Check out my new blog, too!

In other business, the Planning Commission approved zoning changes for ...the former State Office Building at the corner of Spring Garden and Broad Streets, which developer Bart Blatstein hopes to convert into an apartment complex with two glass-enclosed floors of retail.
    Phila. plans design-review board | Philadelphia Inquirer | 12/17/2008

Two years after Pennsylvania announced the sale of its office building at 1400 Spring Garden St. to developer Bart Blatstein's Tower Investments, the deal still isn't done, and the sale price has gone down.

The sale is now scheduled to close in July, for around $23.4 million, down from the original price of $25.2 million, state Department of General Services spokesman Ed Myslewicz told me. That's because the state took longer than expected to negotiate replacement rental offices at 801 Market St (the old Strawbridge & Clothier store, partly owned by Ron Rubin's Pennsylvania Real Estate Investment Trust) and 801 Race St.

But Blatstein has also faced delays, due to the difficulty of arranging financing, Misewicz added. He's paying the state "up to $40,000 a month" past last November's previous deadline. Blatstein has said he plans apartments - probably rental, maybe condo - and a row of stores.

On Monday, the state will announce the sale of its Pittsburgh office building to a group called River Vue Associates, from Canonsburg, Pa.
    Phila state tower price falls as sale to Blatstein drags | PhillyDeals | 02/26/2010
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

an ya wonder why I question relocating all of MSB to "other offices"
    I'm not seeing all these supposed bikes in all these million dollar bike lanes.

an ya wonder why I question relocating all of MSB to "other offices"
    would still be a good move, even if they rebuilt the block and leased back the space. just saying. the city isn't a great landlord. Personally I'd have preferred to see the state offices move across the street as the mvoe has basically offset any increase in jobs the area saw fro the school district. nonetheless, having blatstein take over the building and add stores can only be good for an area. my main gripe about living nearby is the utter lack of commerce in the eastern end of spring garden. francisville's commercial strip is just about gone and with PHA planted firmly in the middle, it shows little signs of rebirth
    Jonathan Safran Foer

MarketStEl is offline Will Work for Food, But Prefers Cash
    East Germantown rocks! But watch your back.

"It's a great opportunity for a re-use of what we believe is an historic building."
    If that building's historic, then so am I.

(The Philadelphia State Office Building and I are the same age.)

The Commonwealth's architects are distinguished principally for their mediocrity, and this building showcases their talents well.

It hasn't aged as badly as the Bay Area Rapid Transit's architecture has, granted, but I can't say it's aged well, either. It remains a period piece. The retail component Blatstein plans might at least give it an attractive accessory, however, as IIRC the retail structure will replace the open plaza in which the building now sits.
    Sandy Smith, Wanderer in Germantown, Philadelphia
    Editor-in-Chief, Philly Living Blog - but all opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone.
    ""Jazz and blogging are both intimate, improvisational, and individual -- but also inherently collective. And the audience talks over both." --Andrew Sullivan, "Why I Blog," The Atlantic, November 2008

nanyika is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
    The Commonwealth's architects are distinguished principally for their mediocrity, and this building showcases their talents well.

It hasn't aged as badly as the Bay Area Rapid Transit's architecture has, granted, but I can't say it's aged well, either. It remains a period piece. ...
    The State building was among the better examples of tall Philadelphia buildings of that era. It had nowhere near the class of the Society Hill Towers, of course, but was far more interesting (and stylish) than Penn Center, Park Towne Place, Hopkinson House and the other concrete boxes that were erected in those days. The window detailing was nice, and even the blue air conditioning unit on the roof gave it some panache. I don't think that makes it "historic," however -- just old (sorry, MSE, but I'm old enough to remember when it was constructed).

I like the thing.

I agree that with the projects nearby and Ben Franklin HS dumping hundreds of kids there daily are problems that hurt the area.

I like the thing.

I agree that with the projects nearby and Ben Franklin HS dumping hundreds of kids there daily are problems that hurt the area.
    certainly wasn't worth demolishing the old central school for Ben Franklin
    Jonathan Safran Foer

Quote Originally Posted by eldondre View Post
    certainly wasn't worth demolishing the old central school for Ben Franklin
    I would be for demoing the current piss filled structure as well.