+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    eldondre is online now Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by y.lama View Post
    I've been hearing a lot about the restaurants/catering hall at this site:
    Vie - Joe Volpe catering hall already opened
    Route 6 - Stephen Starr restaurant opening this week
    Alla Spina - Marc Vetri restaurant opening soon

But what's going on with the residential portion? I haven't heard much and don't get up that way often. I'm assuming this townhouse community in the sky is not going to happen? They would need to build over the restaurants right? Is the taller factory style building back away from broad part of this project?
    Philly Shark: 600 N. Broad gets a Facelift
    the apartments are already occupied, the building is on 15th st. never saw that rendering before, might be frm the original proposal which had more units and did involve tearing down the 1 story structure and building there. I'd guess they donwsized the project to get it moving.
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

BenDee is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by eldondre View Post
    the apartments are already occupied, the building is on 15th st. never saw that rendering before, might be frm the original proposal which had more units and did involve tearing down the 1 story structure and building there. I'd guess they donwsized the project to get it moving.
    If they were smart, they would have added any necessary supports to the southeast quarter to allow building on top of it as a phase 2 - there is room to build a decent sized apartment structure above that quadrant - going several stories up before interfering with any views from 640 lofts, and no NIMBYs (only rentals at 600 and 640) to interfere with them building higher if need be.

thoth is offline I LOOK LIKE THIS

WOW that rendering looks insane. it really is a suspended townhouse development. I can't tell if that would be cool or a huge eyesore. Probably the former as a resident and the latter as a person with eyes.

mixiboi is offline Philly Remixed

Quote Originally Posted by thoth View Post
    WOW that rendering looks insane. it really is a suspended townhouse development. I can't tell if that would be cool or a huge eyesore. Probably the former as a resident and the latter as a person with eyes.
    Wow indeed...North Broad is changing faster then you can say "Bart Blatstein"

Speaking of Bart, also pictured in this are the buildings he bought, the Inky and the State Building:

So from Spring Garden to Race St, that area should fill in quickly with stores and restaurants and Art(The Ballet already moving in)....Then move the School District out and another place for people to live...
    Last edited by mixiboi; 11-18-2011 at 12:31 AM.
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Consultant. Twitter: @Sdlaugh

Tartan69 is online now Pawn in game of life

Yes that was the original rendering that Blumenfeld had on display in the Lofts 640 building when I lived there over 2 years ago. Rumors were that the retail would be a Trader Joes, a liquor store, and something else that is escaping me right now. The grocery aspect would have been nice, but I think the restaurants are excellent replacements.

Then again I also heard a rumor at that time (from someone relatively in-the-know) that Blumenfeld was involved in a group looking to buy the Sixers and build their new practice facility on this site. At the time, Snider was denying any rumors about selling the team...it was a poorly held secret that he was not telling the truth (and is even more obvious now). But I digress...

the reason there hasn't been a boom in retail, I imagine, is that residents have been replacing jobs rather than residents in addition to jobs. the district building is probably a white elephant. there are vacant lots (not to mention the divine lorraine) that might make more sense. the district owns the two vacant lots at broad and spring garden I believe.
    Jonathan Safran Foer

3rd&Brown is offline Senior Member

So from Spring Garden to Race St, that area should fill in quickly with stores and restaurants and Art(The Ballet already moving in)....Then move the School District out and another place for people to live...
    why would you move the district out? retail needs day time inhabitants as well. not every "hot" neighborhood in this city needs to be entirely residential. there are residences going in everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
    why would you move the district out? retail needs day time inhabitants as well. not every "hot" neighborhood in this city needs to be entirely residential. there are residences going in everywhere.
    There has been rumors for the past 2 years that the district is thinking of moving out, so if that happens, it might as well turn residential to match how the residential is space out on South Broad, then fill the rest in with businesses and stores.

Quote Originally Posted by mixiboi View Post
    There has been rumors for the past 2 years that the district is thinking of moving out, so if that happens, it might as well turn residential to match how the residential is space out on South Broad, then fill the rest in with businesses and stores.
    no, it will turn residential because there is no other demand for space in the city not because it's the right thing or a good thing
    Jonathan Safran Foer

Quote Originally Posted by eldondre View Post
    no, it will turn residential because there is no other demand for space in the city not because it's the right thing or a good thing
    I know, I just didn't want to debby down 3rd&Brown.

NickFromGtown is offline Senior Member

Maybe we should move the PSD and PPD over to the Provident Mutual building in West Philly. There is no reason why government services in these circumstances should stand directly in the way of private development. For one, the PPD should move since the Roundhouse is a terrible building, a valuable (and potentially TAXABLE!) waste of space, and I'd imagine that having PPD HQ in that area of West Philly is only a good thing. In the case of the PSD, North Broad needs all the help it can get so moving the PSD HQ to somewhere else in favor of having private developers do there thing definitely makes sense.

Provident Mutual Building | West Philly Local

Quote Originally Posted by NickFromGtown View Post
    Maybe we should move the PSD and PPD over to the Provident Mutual building in West Philly. There is no reason why government services in these circumstances should stand directly in the way of private development. For one, the PPD should move since the Roundhouse is a terrible building, a valuable (and potentially TAXABLE!) waste of space, and I'd imagine that having PPD HQ in that area of West Philly is only a good thing. In the case of the PSD, North Broad needs all the help it can get so moving the PSD HQ to somewhere else in favor of having private developers do there thing definitely makes sense.

Provident Mutual Building | West Philly Local
    north broad doesn't need help in the way of lost jobs, it woudl help much more if the PSD sold off the vacant buildings and land it owns on the NW (surface lot and underutilized high school)and NE (out of use)corners IMO.
    Jonathan Safran Foer