Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mixiboi is offline Philly Remixed

Default Section 735 of HR 933.(aka the Monsanto Protection Act) : The genetically-modified foods thread

Sec. 735. In the event that a determination of non-regulated status made pursuant to section 411 of the Plant Protection Act is or has been invalidated or vacated, the Secretary of Agriculture shall, notwithstanding any other provision of law, upon request by a farmer, grower, farm operator, or producer, immediately grant temporary permit(s) or temporary deregulation in part, subject to necessary and appropriate conditions consistent with section 411(a) or 412(c) of the Plant Protection Act, which interim conditions shall authorize the movement, introduction, continued cultivation, commercialization and other specifically enumerated activities and requirements, including measures designed to mitigate or minimize potential adverse environmental effects, if any, relevant to the Secretary’s evaluation of the petition for non-regulated status, while ensuring that growers or other users are able to move, plant, cultivate, introduce into commerce and carry out other authorized activities in a timely manner: Provided, That all such conditions shall be applicable only for the interim period necessary for the Secretary to complete any required analyses or consultations related to the petition for non-regulated status: Provided further, That nothing in this section shall be construed as limiting the Secretary’s authority under section 411, 412 and 414 of the Plant Protection Act.
    This was tacked in the spending bill that was quickly passed into law(Because you know...financial cliffs)

What Is the So-Called 'Monsanto Protection Act'? Is It Eeeeeevil?

One side:

it's saying that when the regulatory process for genetically modified food is made, the company does not have to stop growing or distributing the plant product until the state makes a full analysis of the safety of the plant. It's saying that genetically modified food never has to be fully tested for safety in order for it to be fed to consumers. It doesn't have to be proven safe before it can be fed to citizens.

we all know that corporations know whats best for the safety and well being of citizens. Like stagnating the middle class, or you know, asbestos.
    The other:

The statute only kicks in after the regulatory process - a decade-long process, including safety testing - is complete. This is about what happens when someone sues to stop them after the USDA has approved them, and allows farmers to continue growing their crop in the interim rather than have to shut everything down during the court proceedings.

It only last 6 months..but it is still quite a strange story....
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Consultant. Twitter: @Sdlaugh

lucidinnature is offline Banned

It really seems like they're doing what comcast is infamous for-which is, right now, creating lobbying law for the mere sake of showing how powerful they are. If they bring enough of this crap to the table, they desensitize the media and even their biggest opponents, and eventually get permanent protective legislation passed.
    Quote Originally Posted by mixiboi View Post
    This was tacked in the spending bill that was quickly passed into law(Because you know...financial cliffs)

One side:

The other:

FKD19124 is offline Banned

yep and while the Obamabots were to busy being distracted with the so called all important "gay marriage", your lusterious leader signed this into law with another
    one of his executive orders.

Quote Originally Posted by mixiboi View Post

One side:

The other:

Quote Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
    yep and while the Obamabots were to busy being distracted with the so called all important "gay marriage", your lusterious leader signed this into law with another
    one of his executive orders.
    Do you ever get your facts straight? Seriously, do you think that if you just keep making **** up, people will believe it?

Obama did not put the monsanto act into law with an executive order. It was crafted by Roy Blunt, a Republican, then introduced by the appropriations committee senator, who is a democrat. It was part of the larger appropriations act to keep funding all government agencies into 2013.

Gladys is offline Senior Member

I don't understand how so many other countries have burned the fields of genetically modified foods and we are promoting it. Until we get "back to the land" so to speak and eat whole foods as the majority of our diet, we will continue to have the issues of disease those foods bring.

It boggles the mind.

https://www.google.com/search?q=burn...w=1500&bih=565

FYI if you want a CSA this is a great local farm that delivers to several locations.

Home Page
    "If you're going to tell people the truth, you better make them laugh; otherwise they'll kill you."
    - attributed to both George Bernard Shaw & Oscar Wilde

"I never clean up after my dogs, because I have trained them to run with me off leash while I ride my bike the wrong way on the sidewalk."
    - LUCas
    Originally Posted by Dave L We need to focus on banning both singers who crap on the sidewalk and dogs that annoy people with their singing. - Mondo

Simple. Money. We've already proven that these crops have killed 1/2 the bees in america. That alone would make any country declare a national issue. Here? That's a declaration to buy more monsanto stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    I don't understand how so many other countries have burned the fields of genetically modified foods and we are promoting it. Until we get "back to the land" so to speak and eat whole foods as the majority of our diet, we will continue to have the issues of disease those foods bring.

It boggles the mind.

https://www.google.com/search?q=burn...w=1500&bih=565

FYI if you want a CSA this is a great local farm that delivers to several locations.

Home Page

And again!!! Your boy signed it into law while you fools were jumping up and down clapping happily about gay marriage!

Quote Originally Posted by lucidinnature View Post
    do you ever get your facts straight? Seriously, do you think that if you just keep making **** up, people will believe it?

Obama did not put the monsanto act into law with an executive order. It was crafted by roy blunt, a republican, then introduced by the appropriations committee senator, who is a democrat. It was part of the larger appropriations act to keep funding all government agencies into 2013.

It only lasts 6 months... I imagine it's a temporary compromise and a way to shock and energize/educate people about it.
    "If you're going to tell people the truth, you better make them laugh; otherwise they'll kill you."

"I never clean up after my dogs, because I have trained them to run with me off leash while I ride my bike the wrong way on the sidewalk."
    - LUCas
    Originally Posted by Dave L We need to focus on banning both singers who crap on the sidewalk and dogs that annoy people with their singing. - Mondo

And again!!! Your boy signed it into law while you fools were jumping up and down clapping happily about gay marriage!
    And if he didn't sign it, you and all the right wing lackies would be jumping bout him trying to derail America for NOT signing that bill to fund all government agencies for the next 6 months, not even mentioning this 3 page act of the 900 page bill.....

It expires in 6 months, which is why no one really is freaking out, but it does show how much genetically-modified foods are being debated by all sides of the fight, that the GMOs want ot make sure that they can at least GROW their foods before someone puts a lawsuit on them that they cant even grow a crop.

toxigal is offline Senior Member

so which is it. did he sign a piece of legislation or did he pass an executive order?

you are funny!

Ummmmmmm... not quite 'my boy' since I'm a republican with a republican family member on the hill. I just hate people like you who make things up and destroy any chance of the party every doing anything again. You're delusional and take to these forums as if it is some duty, when the fact is that you can only be on here so much if you're either self-employed or on some social program due to mental health issues... and you certainly don't have it together enough to own your own business.

raider.adam is offline Senior Member

It's hard to figure out exactly what the legislation does as searching on the Internet, it is all links by anti-GM food sites.

Quote Originally Posted by raider.adam View Post
    It's hard to figure out exactly what the legislation does as searching on the Internet, it is all links by anti-GM food sites.
    I know its hard to get real answers to all of this. All I gather from this is that this act allows products that have been approved by the USDA to be caught up in courts by lawsuits...

BReynoldsIsBald is offline Couldn't Care Less

This is facism 101

- LUCas

guzzijason is offline Mostly Human

Hmmm.... political zealots using made-up facts and sensational headlines to scare the sh¡t out of common plebs that have no skill and/or desire to go read the proposed legislation for themselves? I'm not going to believe it until the official Obamacare Death Panel says it's so.

__Jason

you are funny too because you come up with these one liners and nothing else.
    what is it going to be next week? One week I am liar, next I am funny.

Quote Originally Posted by toxigal View Post
    so which is it. did he sign a piece of legislation or did he pass an executive order?

you are funny!

toxigal is offline Senior Member

you are funny too because you come up with these one liners and nothing else.
    what is it going to be next week? One week I am liar, next I am funny.
    okay, i'm going to go out on a limb here because i think you may be missing something.

this "?" is a question mark. it indicates that the person who is speaking to you is asking a question which, in general, should be responded to with something called "an answer".

I'll give you an example:

"what is it going ot be next week?"

I would like to answer this question but I cannot predict the future. I do not know if you are going to be funny or tell lies next week or actually try something new and answer questions.

i'll repeat my previous question in case you missed it (this is an easy one too, it is an either or. the answer is right there in the question, you just have to point out which of the two options is the answer!)

"so which is it. did he sign a piece of legislation or did he pass an executive order?" (this is an easy one too, it is an either or!

raider.adam is offline Senior Member

Colin P. Varga is offline Senior Member

Maybe this will help explain the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act of 2013:

snopes.com: Monsanto Protection Act
    Goodnight Rossana Arquette whereever you are.