Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    NickTheCage is offline Banned

Default Obamacare and 2nd Term Layoffs, Surcharges, Etc ..

• Energizer -
    The St. Louis-based company said Thursday that it expects to shed about 1,500 employees. When finished, the restructuring should lead to $200 million in pretax yearly savings, Energizer said. It aims to have most of its restructuring steps finished by the end of September 2014.

• Exide Technologies -
    Exide Technologies announced Thursday that it will be idling its lead-recycling operations in Laureldale and laying off 150 workers, effective no later than March 31.

• Westinghouse -
    Westinghouse Anniston, the contractor responsible for shutting down Anniston’s chemical weapons incinerator, has reduced its workforce by another 50 employees.

• Research in Motion Limited -
    Research in Motion Ltd., the maker of BlackBerry smartphones, laid off about 200 people at its U.S. headquarters in Irving on Wednesday, according to a source close to the company who did not want to be named.

• Lightyear Network Solutions -
    More than one dozen employees at a Pikeville company lost their jobs this week. Officials with Lightyear Network Solutions said they are consolidating offices in Louisville and Pikeville to save money.

• Providence Journal -
    The Providence Journal Co. laid off 23 full-time workers Wednesday as part of a cost-cutting effort, including 16 members of the Providence Newspaper Guild and 7 non-union employees.

• Hawker Beechcraft -
    The company says 240 employees will lose their jobs with the closing of Hawker Beechcraft Services facilities in Little Rock, Ark.; Mesa, Ariz.; and San Antonio, Texas.

• Boeing (30% of their management staff) -
    Boeing Co. said Wednesday it plans to employ 30% fewer executives at its Boeing Defense, Space & Security unit by the end of 2012 compared to 2010 levels.

• CVPH Medical Center -
    CVPH Medical Center has handed pink slips to 17 employees. The layoffs — nine in management and eight hourly staffers — are part of an effort to “help bolster the hospital’s financial position in 2013 and beyond,” a press release said.

• US Cellular -
    The move will result in 980 job cuts at U.S. Cellular, with 640 in the Chicago area, according to a spokeswoman. The cuts are slightly under 12 percent of the approximately 8,400 total employees U.S. Cellular had at the end of the third quarter.

• Momentive Performance Materials -
    About 150 workers at Sistersville’s Momentive Performance Materials plant will be temporarily laid off later this month, officials said this week.

• Rocketdyne -
    About 100 employees at Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne, most of whom work in the San Fernando Valley, were laid off Wednesday in response to dwindling government spending on space exploration, the company said. The layoffs were effective immediately, and 75 percent of them came at the facilities on Canoga and De Soto avenues, which employ about 1,100 people. The company has six sites across the Valley.

• Brake Parts -
    The leader of an automotive parts plant in Lincoln County has told state officials that there are plans to lay off 75 workers starting in late December…The layoffs are expected to start Dec. 28 and continue in the first quarter of 2013

• Vestas Wind Systems -
    Vestas Wind Systems A/S (VWS) is seeking to sell a stake of as much as 20 percent and said it’s reducing headcount by 3,000 to raise the staff cuts by the biggest wind turbine maker to almost a third over two years.

• Husqvarna -
    Husqvarna AB (HUSQB), the world’s biggest maker of powered garden tools, plans to cut about 600 jobs in a move that will save 220 million kronor ($33 million) a year by 2014.

• Center for Hospice New York -
    The Center for Hospice and Palliative Care plans to temporarily lay off as many as 40 employees next year as it embarks on a major renovation of the inpatient unit at its Cheektowaga campus.

• Bristol-Meyers -
    Bristol-Myers Squibb is following up its lackluster third-quarter results with almost 480 layoffs. As Pharmalot reports, the company notified the New Jersey government that it would scale back in Plainsboro, which means the cuts will hit its sales operations.

• OCE North America -
    Trumbull printer- and scanning-equipment provider Oce North America, Inc. will lay off 135 workers in three Connecticut communities, including East Hartford, according to its notice with the state Labor Department.

• Darden Restaurants -
    The company, which was among those who had received an Obamacare waiver in the past, is looking to limit workers to 28 hours per week. A full time employee that is required to have health insurance (lest the employer pay a fine) works 30 hours per week, as defined by the Obamacare law.

• West Ridge Mine -
    In its statement, UtahAmerican Energy blames the Obama administration for instituting policies that will close down “204 American coal-fired power plants by 2014″ and for drastically reducing the market for coal.

• United Blood Services Gulf -
    United Blood Services Gulf South region, the non-profit blood service provider for much of south Louisiana and Mississippi, will lay off approximately 10 percent of its workforce. It was a hard decision to make according to Susan Begnaud, Regional Center Director for the Gulf South region.

NBCUniversal – 500
    In a round of year-end belt tightening, NBCUniversal is cutting about 500 employees, or about 1.5% of its total workforce. The cuts are distributed throughout the media company, which boasts nearly 30,000 employees, according to a person close to the situation who asked not to be identified discussing the sensitive topic.

Xerox Corp. – 2,500
    On Tuesday, Xerox provided some sketchy details of that restructuring: By the end of the year, 2,500 current employees will be former employees.

Citigroup Inc. – 100 in Long Island NY
    Citigroup Inc., the third-biggest U.S. bank, is dismissing 100 people on New York’s Long Island as the lender seeks to cut costs amid a slump in revenue.

Smithfield Foods Inc. Meat Plant VA – Starting Layoffs
    The Smithfield, Va.-based company said layoffs will start at the Portsmouth plant in January and it will close at the end of March. The first layoffs at the Smithfield Packing Co. facility will involve about 120 workers, with more than 400 workers affected by the time plant is closed, said Jeff Gough, Smithfield’s senior vice president for human resources. Employees have been offered transfer opportunities.

Cummins – Starts Layoffs in Indiana
    Layoff notices starting going out this week to the engine-maker‘s white-collar workers at its headquaters in Columbus. Job cuts are also expected at Cummins‘ three southern Indiana plants: the Fuel Systems Plant and MidRange Engine Plant in Columbus and the Engine plant in Seymour.

Solel Solar Systems ( International ) – 140+
    Three years after acquiring Solel Solar Systems in Beit Shemesh, which produces thermo-solar energy systems, Siemens AG (NYSE: SI; DAX: SIE) is firing about 140 of the company’s 430 employees. In contrast to six months ago when 100 employees were fired, mainly production staff, the latest round of layoffs includes engineering and development personnel, following the company’s decision to close down several major projects.

Pierce Manufacturing in Bradenton – Layoffs begin
    Pierce Manufacturing in Bradenton, a subsidiary of the manufacturer of emergency response vehicles Oshkosh, is beginning its first round of layoffs, which will eventually affect 325 workers.

Gamesa Energy – 92 Layoff Notices
    Gamesa Energy has issued layoff notices to more than half of its Cambria Township work force. Company officials say 92 of the plant’s 154 workers are expected to be out of work at the plant by early next year.

Wingspan Portfolio Advisors – 459 Possible Layoffs
    DALLAS — Wingspan Portfolio Advisors, a Carrollton-based loan servicing company, will layoff more than a quarter of its workforce at the end of the year.

Wake Forest Baptist Medical NC – 950 Positions by June 2013
    In a news release, WFBMC said about half of the layoffs will come from “vacant, temporary and contract labor positions, as well as normal attrition and retirements.” As many as 475 current employees — about 3.5 percent of the company’s workforce — will get pink slips. While the staff reductions won’t be complete until next summer, 76 employees are being laid off this week.

Turkey Point Nuclear Plant FL – 277 Layoffs Possible
    The 277 employees are to be laid off between Jan. 6 and May 26. The workers include 77 field engineers, 49 superintendents, 44 design engineers and 22 welding field engineers. The employees are not represented by a union. The layoffs are expected to be permanent.

Tooele County UT – 22
    For the third time in the last four months Tooele County has announced a reduction of employees as the Tooele County Commission and county department heads scramble to reduce expenses to meet an unforeseen reduction in revenue.

Glens Falls Hospital NY – 29
    Glens Falls Hospital announced Tuesday morning it is eliminating 29 jobs and reducing five other employees to part-time status, as part of a cost-reduction program being blamed on “declining reimbursement levels and other economic challenges.”

Publishing Firm Lulu in Raleigh – 9
    Raleigh-based Lulu, which provides self-publishing services around the world, has made layoffs at its headquarters and other locations. The company is owned by Red Hat co-founder Bob Young. Nine positions were cut in Raleigh and an undisclosed number of positions will be affected at other operations, Lulu said.

Hamilton FD Ohio – Possible 2 Closing – 17 Layoffs
    A study by public safety consultants Berkshire Advisors Inc. recommended a number of changes to improve efficiency in the Hamilton Fire Department, including increasing the workweek from 48 to 52 hours. This would reduce staff by nine firefighters and save the city $825,000 in overtime costs, according to the study. The city is projected to spend $1.1 million in overtime costs in 2012.

Dana Corporation – Warns Employees of Poss. Layoffs
    TOLEDO, Ohio -Dana Corporation is warning its employees that there could be a large number of layoffs on the way. The Washington Times reports that Dana will likely pay $24 million over the next six years in healthcare expenses and that cost is driving the layoffs.

The Commercial Appeal – Another Round of Layoffs?
    According to the media-focused blog Mediaverse, The Commercial Appeal has suffered another rounds of layoffs. This time, the cuts involve the advertising department.

The Brattleboro Retreat – 27 Layoffs, 4 Positions Lost
    Peter Albert, vice president for external affairs at the Retreat, said management decided to cut positions after reviewing third quarter revenues and expenditures. “Projecting out the fourth quarter, the year would come in at a loss,” he said.

Jayfar is offline Junior Old Fart

Equating most of these layoffs with so-called Obamacare is just plain silly. In any given month of any given year you could put together a similar round-up of corporate layoffs.

And as far as Research in Motion, the only surprise is that they aren't laying off their entire work-force and turning out the lights. That F'd Company poster child has been circling the drain for a very long time now.
    “Guys like you I would dispatch with my roofing axe.” -- BootsywannabeACretin

Politburo is offline Senior Member

That's OK, Nick will be posting a list of every job created over the next 4 years to give Obama credit for those.

I'll be here all week, don't forget to tip your waitress.

toxigal is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Politburo View Post
    That's OK, Nick will be posting a list of every job created over the next 4 years to give Obama credit for those.

I'll be here all week, don't forget to tip your waitress.
    The company i work for has increased its workforce every year of obama's presidency. this year they added a record 47 employees and the budget for next year allows for more than that. They are looking at new facilities because we are outgrowing our current location.

edited to add: we just had our annual benefits meeting to talk about changes. Employee contributions are not increasing but we are receiving more benefits (hello vision care!)

toxigal is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post

And as far as Research in Motion, the only surprise is that they aren't laying off their entire work-force and turning out the lights. That F'd Company poster child has been circling the drain for a very long time now.
    Ugh, i hope so. Our company phones are being tranisitioned from Blackberry to Droid, but only as a phone breaks or a contract is up for renewal. My damn blackberry refuses to break. BUT, i don't have a cell phone bill so i try not to complain about it too much!

Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with cost of legislation | Mail Online

President Obama's election victory ensured his Affordable Care Act would remain the centerpiece of his first term in power - but that has left some business owners baulking at the extra cost Obamcare will bring.

Florida based restaurant boss John Metz, who runs approximately 40 Denny's and owns the Hurricane Grill & Wings franchise has decided to offset that by adding a five percent surcharge to customers' bills and will reduce his employees' hours.

With Obamacare due to be fully implemented in January 2014, Metz has justified his move by claiming it is 'the only alternative. I've got to pass on the cost to the customer.'
    'I think it's a terrible thing. It's ridiculous that the maximum hours we can give people is 28 hours a week instead of 40,' said Metz to the Huffington Post.

'It's going to force my employees to go out and get a second job.'

Obamacare requires businesses or franchises with more than 50 workers must offer an approved insurance plan or pay a penalty of $2,000 for each full-time worker over 30 workers.

The program mandates that only employees working more than 30 hours a week are covered under their employers health insurance plan, chains like Olive Garden and Red Lobster are already considering reduced worker hours.

Several other restaurants including Papa John's, Apple Metro and Jimmy John's have announced plans to skirt Obamacare by reducing employees hours to make them part-time.

'Obviously, I'd love to cover all our employees under that insurance,' said Metz.

'But to pay $5,000 per employee would cost us $175,000 per restaurant and unfortunately, most of our restaurants don't make $175,000 a year. I can't afford it.'
    Feel free to make the argument that being part time b/ of legislation and regulation is better than working full time prior to said legislation and regulation kicked in but you have 'free' Hcare which actually isn't free!

Problem with planners and their ilk they just do not get that the markets react to legislation and it ends up hurting the ones the planners want to 'help'. But I'm sure you, the losers on MSNBC, mediamatters, etc, will start calling for boycotts of Denny's and all these chains cutting hours .. lulz

Will be common and lol at people who wanted this but never thought it would hit them in their pocketbook.

enyo is online now Senior Member

Recently, however, Papa John has come under fire for his comments about ObamaCare. ObamaCare is expected to hit Papa John’s with recurring costs of $5-8 million per year. Schnatter has said that he intends to pass along the costs of ObamaCare to the consumer, as any normal business would. He mentioned that the total cost of ObamaCare will be an estimated 15 to 20 cents per order. "Unfortunately, I don't think people know what they're going to pay for this."

Read more: ObamaCare controversy: National Papa John's Appreciation Day | Washington Times Communities
    Follow us: @wtcommunities on Twitter
    Not that I eat papa johns, but I'd gladly pay an extra 20 cents on a pizza if I knew it covered the healthcare of the person that made my pizza. Most of the restaurants I've worked for covered healthcare for full-time. It was only the crappy places like chili's or applebees that paid horrible, didn't give a free lunch, made you pay for your uniform etc. Chili's would even give away cars and trips to MTV show contestants. That always ticked me off. My income went up about 12 grand a year working for a better restaurant.

Isn't this guy giving away millions of pizza's for the superbowl? Look at his house. He can't afford any employee benefits?

"Believing is seeing" - paraphrased from PH

For the sake of accuracy, the headline is in error. This is not Denny's but one particular cheap-ass Denny's franchisee. The gist of the story is he never provided health benefits before and he's not going to start doing so now. So he's going to make everyone part-time to get around the requirement.

And to hell with Papa John's - they're a godless spammer, so they're dead to me anyway. I do not patronize spammers - EVER!

Papa John's faces $250 million spam lawsuit - Nov. 13, 2012

bootsywannabe is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
    Equating most of these layoffs with so-called Obamacare is just plain silly. In any given month of any given year you could put together a similar round-up of corporate layoffs.

How much more evidence do you need to be convinced? Pretty lengthy lists there ahead of your post. Kinda funny too how a lot of Obama connected companies and labor unions have been selectively exempted from Obamacare via waivers. I suppose that's normal too though, right?

bootsywannabe is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by enyo View Post
    Not that I eat papa johns, but I'd gladly pay an extra 20 cents on a pizza if I knew it covered the healthcare of the person that made my pizza. Most of the restaurants I've worked for covered healthcare for full-time. It was only the crappy places like chili's or applebees that paid horrible, didn't give a free lunch, made you pay for your uniform etc. Chili's would even give away cars and trips to MTV show contestants. That always ticked me off. My income went up about 12 grand a year working for a better restaurant.

Isn't this guy giving away millions of pizza's for the superbowl? Look at his house. He can't afford any employee benefits?

Ever take a look at Jay-Z's house? How about George Clooney? Bill Gates? The Google founders? They are all major Obama donors. Hmmm? More of the very rich voted for Obama than for Romney. Why? Because the very rich use their political connections in their businesses, and they can afford higher levels of taxation as they run large politically connected corporations, and can similarly use these connections to get special breaks, loopholes, waivers, etc., from this type of legislation. They win even more in a high tax high regulatory environment, because they have the resources and ability to navigate these waters, where smaller businesses and individuals do not.

I love how Romney was supposedly, "the candidate for rich white people". While many more very rich people voted for Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by bootsywannabe View Post
    How much more evidence do you need to be convinced? Pretty lengthy lists there ahead of your post. Kinda funny too how a lot of Obama connected companies and labor unions have been selectively exempted from Obamacare via waivers. I suppose that's normal too though, right?
    I stand by my previous post in its entirety. Any valid citations for your additional claims (links to articles at newsmax and their ilk don't count)?

Quote Originally Posted by enyo View Post

Why is his lifestyle, wealth and the way he wants to run his company any business of yours especially if he is not breaking any law?

Why is it so important to you, or any other leftist on the board,when a private citizen and/or entity does what it wants to do to separate themselves the government mandates & orders?

Templeton is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by NickTheCage View Post
    Why is his lifestyle, wealth and the way he wants to run his company any business of yours especially if he is not breaking any law?

Why is it so important to you, or any other leftist on the board,when a private citizen and/or entity does what it wants to do to separate themselves the government mandates & orders?
    because he is a job creator (all hail the job creators!) they're not supposed to be petty and vindictive, rather they should be focusing 24/7 on creating jobs. not firing people in spite because their guy didn't win- before any reforms take place. i think there is an argument to be made against millionaires who can afford compounds like the picture above, and claim to be too poor to pay their employees benefits. should we expect any responsibility from our job creator (all hail the job creators!) overlords?

ShoshTrvls is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bootsywannabe View Post
    Ever take a look at Jay-Z's house? How about George Clooney? Bill Gates? The Google founders? They are all major Obama donors. Hmmm? More of the very rich voted for Obama than for Romney. Why? Because the very rich use their political connections in their businesses, and they can afford higher levels of taxation as they run large politically connected corporations, and can similarly use these connections to get special breaks, loopholes, waivers, etc., from this type of legislation. They win even more in a high tax high regulatory environment, because they have the resources and ability to navigate these waters, where smaller businesses and individuals do not.

I love how Romney was supposedly, "the candidate for rich white people". While many more very rich people voted for Obama.
    Because big corporations never benefit from ties to Republican politicians (cough ... Halliburton ... cough).

More to the point, do you know why you never see any Google or Microsoft employees complaining that the company execs bleed the company dry for their mansions while the employees are laid off, paid minimum wage, or refused health insurance or other benefits? Because, unlike with Papa John's and execs of similar ilk, Microsoft, Google, Def Jam, etc. do pay decent wages, provide health insurance and other benefits, and their execs take profits only after they've cared for their employees.

JoeBaker is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by toxigal View Post
    The company i work for has increased its workforce every year of obama's presidency. this year they added a record 47 employees and the budget for next year allows for more than that. They are looking at new facilities because we are outgrowing our current location.
    What company is that?
    "Ask not what your country can do for you". Yeah right.

Quote Originally Posted by Templeton View Post
    because he is a job creator (all hail the job creators!) they're not supposed to be petty and vindictive, rather they should be focusing 24/7 on creating jobs. not firing people in spite because their guy didn't win- before any reforms take place. i think there is an argument to be made against millionaires who can afford compounds like the picture above, and claim to be too poor to pay their employees benefits. should we expect any responsibility from our job creator (all hail the job creators!) overlords?
    Riddle me this: how, who and what decides which job creators owe whatever “responsibility” you think they owe?

Anyhow .. LMFAO @ “expect any responsibility from our job creator (all hail the job creators!) overlords”

Beyond creating jobs for his employees and franchise employees that allow them to earn a living what other responsibilities does he have? Anyone forcing any individual to work @ papa johns?

People with your mindset are soon going to have to come to the reality that the responsibility of your life falls on you, not some fat cat millionaire. Why not just papa johns pizza down this way all those people will be unemployed?

By saying “expect any responsibility from our job creator (all hail the job creators!) overlords” from individuals who worked hard and made a success for themselves is not even debatable what you are saying. Not taking the law into account, we should do what the leftists tell us to do or theses “overlords” aren’t being responsible. And what you want is for the “overlords” to use their personal property and ability to fund socialism, and it is not debateable.

You may not think you’re a Marxist but your post is Marxist language.

enyo is online now Senior Member

This is an interesting read:

McDonald's made headlines in 2010 when it publicly criticized the Affordable Care Act's possible effect on its business, claiming the health insurance mandates would cost each restaurant between $10,000 and $30,000 a year.

The average annual profit of a McDonald's franchise is around $1 million.

Despite the concerns of chain restaurants, the industry is expected to grow by several billions of dollars over the next four years, according to IBISWorld and the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

In addition, the companies that have voiced the loudest concerns about healthcare requirements have also announced plans to grow substantially in the coming years.

Darden restaurants announced in October that it plans to open 500 new restaurants and add 50,000 new jobs over the next five years.

And Papa John's plans to open 1,500 restaurants worldwide, including 300 in North America.

Papa John's just one of many restaurants not liking Obamacare - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports
    "Believing is seeing" - paraphrased from PH

JoeBaker is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShoshTrvls View Post
    More to the point, do you know why you never see any Google or Microsoft employees complaining that the company execs bleed the company dry for their mansions while the employees are laid off, paid minimum wage, or refused health insurance or other benefits? Because, unlike with Papa John's and execs of similar ilk, Microsoft, Google, Def Jam, etc. do pay decent wages, provide health insurance and other benefits, and their execs take profits only after they've cared for their employees.
    Exactly. Because that's what the market will bear. It's called competition. It's what built this country and what continues to drive its growth and existence.

Someone that has the skills, desire, experience, wherewithal, etc to work for Google or Microsoft (or one of their competitors) is going to demand more in pay, benefits, etc than from someone whose skillset only affords them the opportunity to put sauce on dough. Teachers, nurses and unions do it too.

The greatest part for all of us is that the sauce guy can become the Google guy.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you". Yeah right.

StrangeTanks is offline Senior Member

This is a pretty narrow minded discussion if you ask me.

Hey fine by me, if the labor market accepts low wage jobs with no insurance benefits. Personally, I think Americans in general think their time/labor is worth vastly more than it actually is.

On the other hand, you shouldn't be allowed to then complain about the cost to society of the uninsured unless you are also willing to heartlessly turn people away from medical treatment when they can't afford it.

So the real discussion here should be, when you have someone that either lacks health insurance or is under-insured what do we, as a society, do with that individual when they require more medical care than they can afford.

I'm hearing a lot of complaints, but very few solutions. With something like half our population living without or with too little insurance, I'm certain its an issue that at least needs to be acknowledged.