Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    wollstonecraft is offline Senior Member

I'm glad my 60YO body is my birth control. Totally free, no one can outlaw it, no insurance company or employer can refuse to cover it, no religious fanatics can ban it.

Anyone who was old enough to pay attention as early as the 1960s saw that certain elements have wanted to ban birth control for a long time. That's the eventual goal.
    Last edited by wollstonecraft; 03-01-2012 at 10:53 AM.

NickTheCage is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ColeenH View Post
    My "issue" is that the Catholic church's stance on contraception is outdated, and misogynistic.
    You are free to choose not to participate in the Catholic Church

Quote Originally Posted by ColeenH View Post
    ETA: If they don't want their followers taking contraception, fine (although some statistics cite 98% of Catholic women use hormonal forms of birth control). But they shouldn't be forcing their beliefs (ie, Ricky's plan to allow states to outlaw contraception) on the rest of us.
    Could you direct me to the stats that proves that 98% of Catholic women use hormonal forms of birth control?

Could you direct me lil Ricky's policy statement that would allow states to outlaw contraception?

Radical Ed is offline Public Nuisance

I can envision it now... a nation full of Duggars!

"Fearlessly the idiot faced the crowd..."
    "...Smiling."

Pink Floyd

annie is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by NickTheCage View Post
    Could you direct me to the stats that proves that 98% of Catholic women use hormonal forms of birth control?
    PolitiFact | White House official says 98 percent of Catholic women have used contraception

The more relevant Guttmacher statistic would be use of "highly effective" methods of contraception covered by the new rule, such as the pill, IUDs and sterilization, among sexually active women who don’t want to become pregnant — 68 percent for Catholic women and 69 percent for all women.
    68% seems low given how rare "large Catholic families" are these days. Growing up, the families with more than 4 kids were the outlier. More than 3 was unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by annie View Post
    PolitiFact | White House official says 98 percent of Catholic women have used contraception

The more relevant Guttmacher statistic would be use of "highly effective" methods of contraception covered by the new rule, such as the pill, IUDs and sterilization, among sexually active women who don’t want to become pregnant — 68 percent for Catholic women and 69 percent for all women.
    68% seems low given how rare "large Catholic families" are these days. Growing up, the families with more than 4 kids were the outlier. More than 3 was unusual.
    Do you believe all the propaganda from the White House?

Do you have any intellectual curiosity?

Idiot, PolitFact is a factchecking website. The article factchecks the White House's claim.

It would have been clearest if Muñoz had specified she was talking about women who have had sex — and perhaps that the statistic referred to women ages 15 to 44. But her statement was otherwise accurate. We rate it Mostly True.

Idiot, PolitFact is a factchecking website. The article factchecks the White House's claim.
    Intellectual curiosity ... do a lil research ... what do you know about the company that conducted and gathered the polling data?

geoffrobinson is offline Senior Member

So just a thought about this whole birth control kerfuffle Obama likes to raise...

What ever happened to keeping government out of the bedroom? Hands off our bodies, etc? Why are liberals OK with forcing people to pay for another person's contraception?

toxigal is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by geoffrobinson View Post
    So just a thought about this whole birth control kerfuffle Obama likes to raise...

What ever happened to keeping government out of the bedroom? Hands off our bodies, etc? Why are liberals OK with forcing people to pay for another person's contraception?
    i just think it is silly. i mean, employers pay their employees and then teh employees use that money any way they want. maybe we should start letting employers direct how the money is spent so they are not "paying for another person's contraception".

Intellectual curiosity ... do a lil research ... what do you know about the company that conducted and gathered the polling data?
    Uh, that's addressed in the article I posted that you insist on not reading. Very curious of you, is all I'll say.

Politburo is offline Senior Member

You already acknowledge that the government isn't getting into the bedroom or putting hands on anyone's body. The issue is money.

If you want to move away from employer-based healthcare, I'm all for it.

Uh, that's addressed in the article I posted that you insist on not reading. Very curious of you, is all I'll say.
    Sorry to disappoint you Annie but I read it twice ..

Does it tell us anything about the history and/or relationship btwn Guttmacher and Planned Parenthood? No .. and this is the poll that the White House is using to spread their propaganda that the drones of society eat up .. lulz

discoprincess is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by toxigal View Post
    while 3K still sounds high, i would assume she is including the cost of doctor visits required to get prescription BC.

i think the real argument is that contraception is part of total healthcare for most women at some point in their lives. no, it isn't always used to treat a disease or disorder, it often is. IF we are going to cover healthcare costs, there is no reason to not include it.
    When I first went on BC pills, the doctor had prescribed them to shrink enlarged ovarian cysts. I was using BC pills at the time for a medical purpose, not for contraception.

When I have to get refills, my local Planned Parenthood requires me to come in for a full gynecologic exam before they will write a prescription. The visit of course requires a copay.
    Last edited by discoprincess; 03-02-2012 at 03:10 PM.

propaganda that the drones of society eat up .. lulz
    You wanted to the source of the claim, I gave it you. Are you honestly making the argument that it's inaccurate and large numbers of Catholics don't use birth control? Catholics aren't having as many kids as they used to and it's not because they're using the Cyclebeads or whatever.

Instead of quibbling over the exact number and source, do you dispute that Catholics in general have no problem ignoring church teachings on the matter?

seand is offline Senior Member

Everybody getting the same level of coverage is keeping government (and the employer) out of the decision making process. Just because a medical procedure is covered by insurance does not mean I have to do it. By that reasoning you would be required to actually take every drug covered by your insurance. It just means that an employer can't force their religious interpretation on every one of their employees that doesn't follow that faith or who interprets it differently. As apparently 98% of Catholic women do on contraception.

By not covering contraception, the employer is the one forcing its beliefs onto its employees, not the other way around.

You wanted to the source of the claim, I gave it you. Are you honestly making the argument that it's inaccurate and large numbers of Catholics don't use birth control? Catholics aren't having as many kids as they used to and it's not because they're using the Cyclebeads or whatever.
    I was just pointing out how absurd it is for ColeenH to use that 98% number in her justification that the POTUS has the authority to force ANYONE/THING to give something for free as well a questioning the source she was using.

If she has a problem with the "Catholic church's stance on contraception" take it up with The Pope ... not the US Govt.

ColeenH did nothing of the sort.. you initially asked a question about authority, but your subsequent questions dragged the discussion far away from the question of Presidential authority. The actual question she answered where the 98% was mentioned was "What exactly is your issue on contraception with lil Ricky BESIDES his Personal Beliefs?"

seand is offline Senior Member

I was just pointing out how absurd it is for ColeenH to use that 98% number in her justification that the POTUS has the authority to force ANYONE/THING to give something for free as well a questioning the source she was using.

If she has a problem with the "Catholic church's stance on contraception" take it up with The Pope ... not the US Govt.
    But thats not how insurance works. You pay for your own insurance one way or the other and the rule change stops large employers who are vaguely affiliated with a religious institution from blocking their employees from buying a standard level of insurance coverage. In other words the employer was sticking its nose into whether its employees are allowed to get a standard level of coverage. You should be able to same the level of coverage whether or not the hospital you empty bed pans at has "St. Blahblah" or "Acme Health Services" in the name.
    Last edited by seand; 03-02-2012 at 03:57 PM.

So some chick @ Pelosi's congressional hearing says she spends $3K per year on birth control and that is why the gubmint needs to pay for everyone's contraception.

how is this possible?
    Quote Originally Posted by toxigal View Post
    while 3K still sounds high, i would assume she is including the cost of doctor visits required to get prescription BC.

i think the real argument is that contraception is partof total healthcare for most women at some point in their lives. no, it isn't always used to treat a disease or disorder, it often is. IF we are going to cover healthcare costs, there is no reason to not include it.
    Toxi .. I stand corrected. I think she said $3K in law school which would be $1K per year if you finish in 3 years.

Looks like the left has a new poster child ... some girl who will go broke spending $1K per year to shag while spending approx $60K per year total costs to attend GTown law ..Lulz