Register
+ Reply to Thread
    MackeyDingo is offline Member

Default Moving to Mt Airy

Hi,
    Im COnsidering buying a house in Mt Airy on germantown ave near Earth Bread & Brewery.

The little commercial strip seems to be doing well, can anyone give me a little info about this spot? Is that commercial corridor home to many stable businesses?

I will be moving with my girlfriend, will it be safe for her to walk to her car at night?

Anything I should be aware of, as a newcomer?

thanks!

Longboat is offline Senior Member

There's a house on Germantown Avenue near EB&B? I'm having trouble picturing it.

Anyway, the commercial strip is especially hospitable to food and drink places. I once counted eight eateries along that stretch and I think there may be more now. Other types of businesses seem to come and go with the exception of the florist, which may be the oldest continuously operating business on that part of the Avenue. Two other long-time establishments recently closed and left empty storefronts that don't look like they're going to be filled any time soon. Overall it is busier and more stable than it was say 15 years ago and way better than it was when I first moved here in the '80s, but there are still issues.

As for safety walking at night, it depends on where you are and where you are walking to, time of night, alone or with others, stuff like that. I'd say it's generally safe, but not a sure thing. Like most every other place in the city, you gotta be aware of the environment.

The house is just off Grermantown Ave, at Durham St.

One thing I definately noticed is the glut of salons. There seems to be WAY too many salons on these three commercialized blocks of Germantown Ave...

NickFromGtown is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MackeyDingo View Post
    One thing I definately noticed is the glut of salons. There seems to be WAY too many salons on these three commercialized blocks of Germantown Ave...
    I wouldn't worry about it. Mt. Airy is doing just fine. Between Earth Bread & Brewery, McMenamin's, Wine Thief, Umbria, and Mi Puebla, I don't know how much I'd venture away if I lived within walking distance.

Geno is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by NickFromGtown View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. Mt. Airy is doing just fine. Between Earth Bread & Brewery, McMenamin's, Wine Thief, Umbria, and Mi Puebla, I don't know how much I'd venture away if I lived within walking distance.
    And now with Goat Hollow reopening on Mt Pleasant....We live a block off the Ave and rarely leave the neighborhood for dinner/entertainment. I have lived here 3 years and the neighborhood is great. Safety has never been an issue.

BishopOfPHL is offline Senior Member

We lived right around there for 5 years a half block off the Ave and really loved it; you can't beat the walkability to all the restaurants/bars as well as the trains, and the neighbors are for the most part incredibly awesome (one or two bad eggs). Fair warning though, in our five years there we did have a burglary in our house and one of our cars had a break-in, and after that it was time to move on somewhere with more room anyway. It's not all roses but if you're willing to take the risks that things like that can and will happen if you're there long enough, it's a great place. Get a dog if you can swing it, in retrospect that would have probably prevented our break-in.

Geno is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BishopOfPHL View Post
    We lived right around there for 5 years a half block off the Ave and really loved it; you can't beat the walkability to all the restaurants/bars as well as the trains, and the neighbors are for the most part incredibly awesome (one or two bad eggs). Fair warning though, in our five years there we did have a burglary in our house and one of our cars had a break-in, and after that it was time to move on somewhere with more room anyway. It's not all roses but if you're willing to take the risks that things like that can and will happen if you're there long enough, it's a great place. Get a dog if you can swing it, in retrospect that would have probably prevented our break-in.
    I agree it can and does happen, but it's far from inevitable. I have several neighbors who have lived here a long time and never have been burglarized. It can and does happen in lots of other city and suburban neighborhoods that don't have nearly the upside that Mt Airy has.

OldMama is offline Senior Member

I was burgled in Roxborough and had my car stolen a couple of times. After that I made sure I had car alarm, motion lights on my front and back doors, and a home alarm. Those kinds of crime can happen anywhere and it's best to do what you can to prevent being a victim.

I would have moved to My.Airy in a heartbeat but when my husband saw the big house with a pool and huge yard in Roxborough, there was no stopping him. With everyone gone but my daughter, we moved to Bella Vista last March.

tintin19119 is offline Member

I love Mt. Airy.I grew up in Mt. Airy, most of my family still lives here. There is no other place in the city like it. As far as the city goes,it is safe. No place is 100% crime free but you will be ok. It has always been a melting pot,even during the 70`s when most of Philly was separated by race.

NWPhillyRealtor is offline Rich Mcilhenny

A client of mine asked to see that property and it was already under agreement. Was that you? Good luck either way!
    Rich McIlhenny
    ReMax Services
    215-275-6303
    RMAC88@aol.com
    2012, 2011, and 2010 Philadelphia Magazine 5 Star Agent Award Winner
    http://video.fivestarprofessional.co...hardmcillhenny
    www.richmachomes.com