Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    AsYouWere is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by the mule View Post
    Do you sell security systems or something? .
    That's not a bad idea. I like the wireless cameras that just stick on.

Are you in the market for some?

Cro Burnham is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by DCnPhilly View Post
    I'm pretty amazed at any support for this particular action. Am I missing sarcasm in some of these comments?
    Mine were sarcastic in response to the silly post by Uber-whatsit.

Michael Nutter, care to comment on the state of our unions to the folks at Philadelphiaspeaks? No? That's alright, we all know you're just a big pu$$y.

Speaking of pu$$ies: Jim Kenney, how's it been attending to Gillespie's nether regions?

Default Union Construction Site Vandalized Sept 27, 2012 in Phila, $3 Million in Damage

It's curious that the "skilled vandalism" at 6600 State Rd escapes mention in relation to this latest incident at the Quaker Meeting.

While also described as "competitive sabotage", at the time of the story police ruled out that it was labor-related. Now that makes sense.

Perhaps the most disturbing act was that "porta potties were flattened like pancakes" before the equipment was set ablaze. It's suspected that the perps arrived by boat and the British are not being ruled out. A compressor was rolled into the Delaware River.

Construction at the $212 million project was suspended until a security system could be installed.

http://callcenterinfo.tmcnet.com/new...28/6612143.htm

ShoshTrvls is offline Senior Member

Quaker Meeting House makes the big time:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/18/us...s&emc=rss&_r=0

enyo is online now Senior Member

they should have kept quiet about the security system so they could catch the people.
    "Believing is seeing" - paraphrased from PH

Quote Originally Posted by enyo View Post
    they should have kept quiet about the security system so they could catch the people.
    They're getting one? I stopped reading since the story was obviously mailed in, on like the third line it says the bolts were just loosened lmao.

The story also seems more neutral with the good Lt now saying "I can't prove anything". Next time hopefully they get the cameras before the vandalism to save us all the drama.

the mule is offline Tumescent Member

Quote Originally Posted by AsYouWere View Post
    They're getting one? I stopped reading since the story was obviously mailed in, on like the third line it says the bolts were just loosened lmao.

The story also seems more neutral with the good Lt now saying "I can't prove anything". Next time hopefully they get the cameras before the vandalism to save us all the drama.
    Because Post Brothers were able to eliminate vandalism and violence by installing cameras on their project. Oh wait, that didn't stop any of it.

Because Post Brothers were able to eliminate vandalism and violence by installing cameras on their project. Oh wait, that didn't stop any of it.
    “It’s standard for construction sites to have surveillance cameras,” says one of the two 30-something brothers responsible for capturing the incident on video, Michael Pestronk. “The only novel thing we did, which just seemed obvious to me, was to post the videos on the Internet.” And with that, everything changed". (phillybully.com)

From PhillyMag - http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...41248874,d.dmQ
    Last edited by AsYouWere; 01-17-2013 at 05:13 PM.

jizay is offline Senior Member

“It’s standard for construction sites to have surveillance cameras,” says one of the two 30-something brothers responsible for capturing the incident on video, Michael Pestronk. “The only novel thing we did, which just seemed obvious to me, was to post the videos on the Internet.” And with that, everything changed". (phillybully.com)

From PhillyMag - http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...41248874,d.dmQ
    Maybe you didn't notice, but that article is dated November. In December, unioners were jumping on workers' car hoods, attacking them with crowbars, and vandalizing vehicles. There is a sense that their videos have changed things - public opinion is with them - but it doesn't stop all the other crap. They have still and always had 24 hour security.

Quote Originally Posted by jizay View Post
    Maybe you didn't notice, but that article is dated November. In December, unioners were jumping on workers' car hoods, attacking them with crowbars, and vandalizing vehicles. There is a sense that their videos have changed things - public opinion is with them - but it doesn't stop all the other crap. They have still and always had 24 hour security.
    Since I pasted a quote from the article for mule's benefit I had to provide the link per the TOS. Then I noticed it's already cited in the other thread so not sure why he keeps arguing against cameras. The article does say that surveillance and the website have made a huge impact which is the point I've been trying to make all along. Seems these guys like being on camera....

ArcticSplash is offline Dixie Normus

Yeah it also can't stop union workers from doing this to vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticSplash View Post
    Yeah it also can't stop union workers from doing this to vehicles.

And you have a system at your house? You're making sense.

the mule is offline Tumescent Member

Since I pasted a quote from the article for mule's benefit I had to provide the link per the TOS. Then I noticed it's already cited in the other thread so not sure why he keeps arguing against cameras. The article does say that surveillance and the website have made a huge impact which is the point I've been trying to make all along. Seems these guys like being on camera....
    You've been harping on the contractor for not installing cameras, suggesting that the vandalism would not have occurred if they did, with the implication that they got what they deserved for not doing so. Nobody can say for sure whether it would have had any effect or not, but cameras and 24/7 security haven't deterred the unions at Goldtex, so I'd imagine such measures would have little effect against motivated vandals at a secluded job site. Convenience stores and banks still get robbed even with cameras out the wazoo. The UK's widespread CCTV coverage has failed to impact crime. Sure, it wouldn't hurt to have cameras, but don't expect it to be a magic bullet.

By the way, Michael Pestronk's word isn't gospel. I can say without a doubt that I have been on far more job sites than he has ever been on and a small minority of them have had surveillance systems because crimes of this magnitude are pretty rare. They are more likely to have security guards, but that's not all that common either on projects of this size in this location.

[QUOTE=the mule;564230]You've been harping on the contractor for not installing cameras, suggesting that the vandalism would not have occurred if they did, with the implication that they got what they deserved for not doing so. Nobody can say for sure whether it would have had any effect or not, but cameras and 24/7 security haven't deterred the unions at Goldtex, so I'd imagine such measures would have little effect against motivated vandals at a secluded job site. Convenience stores and banks still get robbed even with cameras out the wazoo. The UK's widespread CCTV coverage has failed to impact crime. Sure, it wouldn't hurt to have cameras, but don't expect it to be a magic bullet.[QUOTE]

No I don't expect it to be a magic bullet but otoh a camera did lead to a quick arrest of the guy who threw the woman on the tracks. At the CH site it may not even have been lighted enough for a camera and I can't figure how residents across the street didn't see the flashes from the torch(es)

Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator

Goon City - Jillian Kay Melchior - National Review Online

Pathetic. And it seems to elude too many people that we have a government that enables this sort of behavior.
    I am not the Jackass Whisperer.

NickFromGtown is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hospitalitygirl View Post

Pathetic. And it seems to elude too many people that we have a government that enables this sort of behavior.
    Indeed, however I don't view this article as embarrassing. If this sort of thing is what it takes to help change things, I'm all for it. Will there be change? I don't know, but the more call outs - especially in a national forum - the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hospitalitygirl View Post

Pathetic is spot on as regards this engineer and the article that calls it a beating. I agree some unions and members in Philly are out of touch with reality, but then the writer straight off discredits her own article by calling a crushing a beating. And frankly this engineer comes off as a real wuss and not very bright.

boognish is offline Senior Member

apologist
    n.
    A person who argues in defense or justification of something, such as a doctrine, policy, or institution.

Quote Originally Posted by boognish View Post
    apologist
    n.
    A person who argues in defense or justification of something, such as a doctrine, policy, or institution.
    Not to mention I believe I've seen Jillian's article elsewhere , which suggests plagiarism as well. Her biased inaccuracies are the real killer.