Register
+ Reply to Thread
    thebaueroflove is offline Junior Member

Default Goat Hollow Bar/Restaurant

I'm relatively new to the area, so I wasn't here when Goat Hollow was open. But this article is definitely exciting me:

New Goat Hollow Operator Eyes Possible October Opening - Mt. Airy, PA Patch

Sounds like a really cool addition to our local restaurants and bar spots.

MtAiryMan is offline Member

Sounds interesting! Looking forward to checking it out when it opens.

Mt. Airy Brewer is offline Senior Member

Neil is a great guy and a hell of a cook. I can't wait for this place to open.

CrazyIvan is offline Senior Member

That sounds awesome- with guys from Race St. Cafe and Monk's on board, it already sounds great. Another place to grab dinner and a drink is sorely needed around here. Unfortunately, it'll be opening after I move out of Mt. Airy, but I might have to come out here to give it a shot.
    -"Grey. You said green men. A Reticulan's skin tone is actually grey. They're notorious for their extraction of terrestrial human livers, due to iron depletion in the Reticulan galaxy."
    -"You can't be serious."
    -"Do you have any idea what liver and onions go for on Reticula?"

NWPhillyRealtor is offline Rich Mcilhenny

My wife and I had our first date there 11 years ago. It would be nice to go there for an anniversary dinner.
    Rich McIlhenny
    ReMax Services
    215-275-6303
    RMAC88@aol.com
    2012, 2011, and 2010 Philadelphia Magazine 5 Star Agent Award Winner
    http://video.fivestarprofessional.co...hardmcillhenny
    www.richmachomes.com

thomast is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by NWPhillyRealtor View Post
    My wife and I had our first date there 11 years ago. It would be nice to go there for an anniversary dinner.
    My wife and I also met there for our first (blind) date! But it was early summer 1999, so a little bit further back.

NWPhillyRealtor is offline Rich Mcilhenny

Quote Originally Posted by thomast View Post
    My wife and I also met there for our first (blind) date! But it was early summer 1999, so a little bit further back.
    Ours was a blind date too
    Rich McIlhenny
    ReMax Services
    215-275-6303
    RMAC88@aol.com
    2012, 2011, and 2010 Philadelphia Magazine 5 Star Agent Award Winner
    http://video.fivestarprofessional.co...hardmcillhenny
    www.richmachomes.com

owenbrau is offline Junior Member

My parents used to go there way back when it was Burba's Tavern. I liked Goat Hollow, it will be nice having more options close by.
    "There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness." - Dave Barry, Humorist and Homebrewer

eldondre is online now Moderator

Goat Hollow's return
    This month, Neil Campbell, owner of Race Street Cafe in Old City, and business partner Andy Shahan will open it as Goat Hollow (300 W. Mount Pleasant Ave.) after an extensive renovation that's yielded a look they're describing as homespun American brasseri
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

Geno is offline Moderator

Finally opening on Monday. Last night we were walking by on our way to Bacio and the place was full of people. We went in and the hostess told us it was a preview for "friends and family." A gentlemen came up to us and invited us in for a drink. The place looks terrific. They have 20 beers on tap including two on cask. Also, a nice, inventive, reasonably priced little menu. It really looks like a great addition to the food and drink scene in Mt Airy. Very much looking forward to dinner and a few drinks there.

psuethomson is offline Junior Member

Unhappy The service was cruddy at Goat Hallow

I joined a friend at Goat Hallow this past Monday evening at 6:00 pm. We found the service very slow and did not manage to complete our dining experience until 8:30 pm. The food was delicious when and if it arrived. Our salads were forgotten, and the main entree arrived first resulting in our cancelling our healthy salad selections. The entree of scallops over collard greens was delicious. But following dinner I ordered creme brulee while my friend ordered coffee. Curtis delivered the coffee and asked if I had decided on which dessert. So my dessert was also initially forgotten. At that point it felt like I was in the Twilight Zone. Curtis had the dessert menu memorized, but couldn't remember my dessert order selection. I had a very exhausting day and had a very wet appetite, only to find the service leaving me high and dry. It's good that we didn't order drinks or anything else, the lack of which would have been likely. So try Goat Hallow for the chance that you might receive some of the items that you order, and then allow plenty of time for delivery.

jen
    jen is offline Senior Member

i fear goat hollow may be going the way of the st. james in ardmore and in dire need of a serious overhaul. i had a fairly abysmal experience there myself, and the yelp reviews are very mixed at best: http://www.yelp.com/biz/goat-hollow-...t_by=date_desc

what's the problem here? and how do they fix it?

i'm asking because i have 0 restaurant experience myself and very much want goat hollow to improve. it has so much potential.

MrsWeisass is offline Senior Member

Their food was great; beer too. My only gripe was the lag time. My hubbie and I went for dinner and waited almost an hour after ordering for hamburgers. They were darn good, but I don't like waiting an hour for a hamburger. They need to get their kitchen sorted out on busy nights. Every time I have gone on a less busy time, it has been great.

Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    i fear goat hollow may be going the way of the st. james in ardmore and in dire need of a serious overhaul. i had a fairly abysmal experience there myself, and the yelp reviews are very mixed at best: http://www.yelp.com/biz/goat-hollow-...t_by=date_desc

i'm asking because i have 0 restaurant experience myself and very much want goat hollow to improve. it has so much potential.

wisertime is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up

I concur. The food was very good. Poutine was excellent. Service was very friendly, but slow...really slow. We were in no rush, out with friends, but seriously taking like 20 min to bring a beer. I realize we are 2nd floor, but I've worked in restaurants and that is in excusable. We will be returning however. They need to speed up the service. We apparently had 2 servers working together, but barely saw one of them.

jen
    jen is offline Senior Member

Bar Hits and Kitchen Misses at Mount Airy's Goat Hollow | Philadelphia City Paper | 05/23/2013

Bar Hits and Kitchen Misses at Mount Airy's Goat Hollow

Beneath a handsome renovation, Goat Hollow is dead inside.

sputnik is offline Member

Default Ooooh, SNAP.

That's a brutal review.
    But I've got to say, in our 2 experiences there, it's pretty much spot on. Get your **** together guys! I really want to like you!

MackeyDingo is offline Member

Ive only had great experiences there. Food, and beer. But I've always sat at the bar.

stock is offline Senior Member

I've been several times. Service has always been good and the food. Great beer selection and the inside is very cool.

stock is offline Senior Member

Management. I ran restaurants for years. The management was great when it was one spot downtown, they are stretched to thin. Neil is a great front of house and knows the kitchen. The other management is untested or not trained or both. Everyone makes mistakes, but there seems to be lack of structure. I think they can pull it off, but you need a leader like Neil in there daily driving the ship and from what I've seen, he is running back and forth at his other place.

Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    i fear goat hollow may be going the way of the st. james in ardmore and in dire need of a serious overhaul. i had a fairly abysmal experience there myself, and the yelp reviews are very mixed at best: Goat Hollow - Germantown - Philadelphia, PA

Chris
    Philadelphia Salvage
    Design Build

542 Carpenter Lane - Retail and Custom
    2234 W. Westmoreland "The Foundry"

"Anyone who would trade their freedom for safety
    deserves neither freedom or safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

phillyhound is offline Arb-yoot-is

I have to say that we've been there twice and have had a great experience both times. I didn't notice slow service either time, and the food has been consistently good. The servers have been really helpful/knowledgeable about the beer list as well.