Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CrazyIvan is offline Senior Member

Unhappy Recent muggings in Mt. Airy

I haven't seen this mentioned here or on Philly Blog, but there were several attacks last week in MT. Airy-

From the Mt. Airy Safety Network:
    Crime Bulletin from the 14th Police District (6/17/09-6/24/09)

Additional information on armed robberies. Please note that the Crime Bulletin disseminated by the 14th Police District lists one male robber, while info we received from neighbors about robberies over the past week alluded to two male robbers.

The list below includes three robberies which occurred in West Mt. Airy. The Crime Bulletin also listed robberies in Chestnut Hill (2), E. Mt. Airy (1) and Germantown (1).

Robberies W/ Gun occurring in the 14th Dist.
    1 - 230 W. Johnson Street
    1 - Greene/Westview Avenue
    1 - 6500 Wissahickon Avenue

"Female victims carrying a purse were approached from behind by a B/m 21-25 years, 58, slim to med build, Dark. Complex, Lt. beard, and made to give up their purse by point of silver handgun. The male then fled in a 06 or 07 black ford explorer unknown tag. Four of the incidents happened within 20 to 30 mins of each other. Mostly occurring during 8x4 tour of duty."

I've lived in Mt. Airy a little over a year now, but these are the first real problems I've heard about. Is this a summer time thing- did I miss it last year? Or is this a new development that I should watch out for a bit more? I'm just a little concerned (having been mugged before) because these addresses are along my dog walking/jogging routes.

Malloy is offline Administrator

Does Mt Airy have a monthly paper? I know East Falls shows the crime report in the monthly Fallser. I also subscribe to EveryBlock that reports stuff daily too.

I know a cop in the 39th, and he said break-ins are up 25+% in East Falls proper and the Roxborough break-ins have been getting a ton of press. Things are heating up in the NW (and the rest of the city)

We just got a new paper- the Mt. Airy Times Express (?), and I recently found EveryBlock, so I've been keeping an eye out on that.

But that high of a % increase? Wow.

Yeah, besides the muggings, a few cars have been stolen or broken into in the blocks right around me. It's a shame- I mean, I know it's the city (and prior to moving to Mt. Airy, I lived in Center City and Germantown, so I know the drill), but I really like the NW and I'vr felt a greater sense of community in MA than I did in CC or G'town. However, other than the Safety Alert e-mails I get, I haven't seen a crime increase mentioned anywhere, or by my neighbors.

*edit- I haven't seen the Mt. Airy crimes mentioned. I've seen info about the Roxborough break-ins.

Brooke is offline Moderator

Crime goes up when economy goes down. The poor are getting poorer and more desperate. I think in every neighborhood, these types of crime are on their way up.
    Licensed Pennsylvania Real Estate Salesperson and inactive and happily non-practicing Attorney, CITYSPACE
    www.freshquarters.com

NCtransplant is offline Happily Urban

A good resource for keeping track of what's happening crime-wise is everyBlock.com. It's available for a handful of metro areas. The Philly subdomain is:
    EveryBlock Philadelphia: Philadelphia local news and public records

uly55es1 is offline “anobium punctatum.”

Another online crime tracking resource.
    SpotCrime - Know Your Neighborhood
    But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel. 1 Timothy 5:8 Translations

stock is offline Senior Member

When we first moved here a couple years ago, there was town watch and they did patrols. Maybe it's time to get that up again.
    Chris
    Philadelphia Salvage
    Design Build

542 Carpenter Lane - Retail and Custom
    2234 W. Westmoreland "The Foundry"

"Anyone who would trade their freedom for safety
    deserves neither freedom or safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by stock View Post
    When we first moved here a couple years ago, there was town watch and they did patrols. Maybe it's time to get that up again.
    I would definitely get involved in a town watch. I live between the Pelham town watch and the Mt. Airy/Nippon/Bryan/Cresheim Town Watch, so as far as I know there isn't any watch for my sliver of Mt. Airy (corner of Sedgwick and Cresheim).

G Goo is offline Junior Member

Default Shooting/Town Watch

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyIvan View Post
    I would definitely get involved in a town watch. I live between the Pelham town watch and the Mt. Airy/Nippon/Bryan/Cresheim Town Watch, so as far as I know there isn't any watch for my sliver of Mt. Airy (corner of Sedgwick and Cresheim).
    There was a man shot to death last night on the 6400 block of Milton St in E Mt Airy. Given this, and the other reported criminal activity I think a town watch is essential. The more our neighbors cloister themselves in their houses, the more this sh!t continues.

I would like to propose and participate in a town watch in my section of E. Mt Airy (Mt Airy Ave to Cresheim Creek, Stenton Ave to the R7 line). Any ideas as to where to start? E. Mt Airy Neighbors? 14th District? Philadelphia Town Watch?

I just saw that about the shooting on Philly.com. I'm not sure how one would go about starting up a Town Watch, but here's info from the Mt. Airy Safety Network about the few existing watches:

Mt. Airy Safety Network • Town Watch

Edit: from the link above-" The 14th District holds a town watch meeting on the third Monday of the month at 7 PM at the 14 th District Headquarters."
    Last edited by CrazyIvan; 07-07-2009 at 11:58 AM.

HomeGirl is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by G Goo View Post
    I would like to propose and participate in a town watch in my section of E. Mt Airy (Mt Airy Ave to Cresheim Creek, Stenton Ave to the R7 line). Any ideas as to where to start? E. Mt Airy Neighbors? 14th District? Philadelphia Town Watch?
    Townwatch groups are formed in conjunction w/ the police department and Townwatch Integrated Services (TWIS). They can be part of a neighborhood association or separate. I would contact the 14th or TWIS:
    Philadelphia Operation Town Watch
    Kristi Fox, Proud Member of the DiFranco Team
    Elfant Wissahickon Realtors, 215.247.3600 x263

VoxWMAN is offline Junior Member

Default A coupla resources

This Wednesday, July 15, 7:30 p.m. at Summit Presbyterian Church, Greene and Westview Streets, West Mt. Airy Neighbors is holding its monthly Quality of Life Meeting. The topic will be crime and safety. Officer Hall, the Crime Prevention Officer for the 14th Police District, will participate in the meeting from 7:30-8:00 p.m. to update attendees on the crime investigation surrounding the recent armed robberies in the Northwest and to share safety techniques.

The weekly newspaper serving Mt. Airy is the Mt. Airy Independent (Welcome to Germantown Newspapers). The Mt. Airy Times Express published its last edition in February 2009. Germantown is now covered by the Germantown Chronicle (Welcome to Germantown Newspapers). The former Germantown Courier also stopped publication in February 2009.

West Mt. Airy Neighbors (West Mt. Airy Neighbors) sends out timely Mt. Airy Safety Network Alerts with public safety and crime info to residents of West Mt. Airy. To join our mailing list email admin@wman.net. Include your physical mailing address as alerts are sent to zones around which an incident occurs. To access our zone map click http://www.wman.net/wmanmap.pdf.

Check out these resources for more info (some have already been referenced):
    Mt. Airy Safety Network • Home, East and West Mt. Airy Neighbors have launched the Mt. Airy Safety Network website for all Mt. Airy residents. You'll find sections on how to report a crime, resources for block captains and info re local town watches.

Philadelphia Police Department :: Headquarters, the site for the Philadelphia Police Department, has an interactive crime map where you can input address, crime category, and date range to track crime in your neighborhood.

www.14thppd.org is the web site for the 14th police district which provides info and service to citizens of Germantown, Mt. Airy (East & West), Chestnut Hill, and West Oak Lane.

EveryBlock Philadelphia: Philadelphia local news and public records - input a zip code and search criteria to find out what’s going on in your neighborhood

Philadelphia Operation Town Watch - The mission of Town Watch Integrated Services (TWIS) is dedicated to assisting residents with their quality of life issues through community policing and participation.

EMAN: Welcome – East Mt. Airy Neighbors (EMAN) is the community association for East Mt. Airy.

West Mt. Airy Neighbors - West Mt. Airy Neighbors (WMAN) is the community association for West Mt. Airy.

Hope these help.

Quote Originally Posted by VoxWMAN View Post
    This Wednesday, July 15, 7:30 p.m. at Summit Presbyterian Church, Greene and Westview Streets, West Mt. Airy Neighbors is holding its monthly Quality of Life Meeting. The topic will be crime and safety. Officer Hall, the Crime Prevention Officer for the 14th Police District, will participate in the meeting from 7:30-8:00 p.m. to update attendees on the crime investigation surrounding the recent armed robberies in the Northwest and to share safety techniques.
    Thanks for that info. I'm going to try to swing by. Here's another recent robbery:

Burglary, West Johnson Street
    On Friday, July 10th at approximately 2 p.m., a house on the 100 block of West Johnson Street was broken into. The burglar(s) entered the house through the front window, ransacked the property and took a laptop, jewelry and other items.

ChimneyStack is offline Member

Tuesday (7/14) brought with it an armed robbery at Wawa. Last week (7/6) a respected father/husband was murdered for his wristwatch. Yes, his wristwatch. Cars are getting smashed into night after night after night. Time for me to get out of this neighborhood, the disregard for human life and others' possessions sickens me. Good luck dealing with all the scum that comes along with this otherwise nice neighborhood.

Brooke is offline Moderator

Can you post some news links?
    Licensed Pennsylvania Real Estate Salesperson and inactive and happily non-practicing Attorney, CITYSPACE
    www.freshquarters.com

Here Brooke....

Mt. Airy Police Briefs

That crime map is completely ridiculous. To have had that much happen in such a small time window is crazy. I honestly don't even really like taking my dog for a walk anymore because things just seem to be getting out of hand. And she's big dog, too, and I know she'd protect me. I didn't move up to Mt. Airy (and pay what it costs up here) for this kind of nonsense.

Did anyone get to attend the quality of life meeting last night? I wasn't able to get back home in time to go.

G Goo is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChimneyStack View Post
    Tuesday (7/14) brought with it an armed robbery at Wawa. Last week (7/6) a respected father/husband was murdered for his wristwatch. Yes, his wristwatch. Cars are getting smashed into night after night after night. Time for me to get out of this neighborhood, the disregard for human life and others' possessions sickens me. Good luck dealing with all the scum that comes along with this otherwise nice neighborhood.
    Ah cutting and running...precisely the attitude that has destroyed other weaker neighborhoods. The reason Mt Airy is still a wonderfully livable neighborhood because in the face of adversity and crises people got active and fought back. Knowing that there is certainly scum out there, I hope my neighbors don't share your defeatist attitude.

Malloy is offline Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by G Goo View Post
    Ah cutting and running...precisely the attitude that has destroyed other weaker neighborhoods. The reason Mt Airy is still a wonderfully livable neighborhood because in the face of adversity and crises people got active and fought back. Knowing that there is certainly scum out there, I hope my neighbors don't share your defeatist attitude.
    'Fight back' What exactly does this mean? Seriously.